Question about the Jackson PS-4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about the Jackson PS-4...

The PS-2 I have has a thicker, more "Fenderish" neck than my DK-2, which is very thin like an Ibanez neck. I like them both tough. The PS-2 neck has an amber stain which makes it look nice, wheras the DK-2 is unstained and the stark white color reminds me
    unfavorably of the cheaper Ibanez RGs.

I would say the current Pro Series comes in quality wise as lower than the Professional Series that existed while the erformers were in production. Not that they're bad at all, they're nice guitars, but other than cosmetics I don't find the DK-2 to be much better than
    the PS-2. I think ackson decided to consolidate 2 Japan lines into one of quality
    midway betwen the earlier 2. This was to increase the distance between the USA and Japan lines so as not to take sales from the USA lines, and to cut costs by sending the lower lines off to India to be made. That's just my opinion and I have no doubt the official line would deny this, but that's how it seems to me.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thank you for that very elaborate reply lerxstcat. You are comparing the neck of the DK2 to an Ibanez neck. Do you know which one specifically, whether its the Wizard or Wizard II. How old is your DK2? I think the latest ones that I have played have sort of a thick neck, certainly thicker than a Wizard, or Wizard Prestiege, OR it could be that Wizard necks have a flat back, maybe that's why they "feel" thinner. Again, thank you for your reply, I just wanted make sure you didn't have some old DK2, and that if old ones even had thinner necks. Since I'm a lefty, I don't get to try these necks, at least not the way I would play them, as a lefty, so I have to rely on opinions and observations, such as yours to make my decision. Thank you!

Comment

I had a 1990 Ibanez RG560 that I recently sold to a fellow JCFer that had the original Wizard profile. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world until I grew to like medium necks even though I have smallish hands. It was definitely very very thin and had a flattish back to it. If only it were a little thicker but retaining the flat back, it would have been a pretty good neck shape.

One thing I've noticed is how quickly I've adjusted to different neck backshapes and grew to like each one for what it offered. There may be very little chance that you'll find a stock lefty guitar that will absolutely be perfect for you right away. You might want to just buy a guitar, knowing what you sort of already have gathered on the various message boards you might visit, and grow to adapt to it. I know I bought my first USA Soloist absolutely BLIND and had no idea what it would play like. The neck has a different feel than any other guitar I had tried up until that point and I was worried until I adapted to it. Now, I like it. Just a thought. You've been hunting for this elusive "dream guitar" of yours for what seems like months now and you need to relieve the agony, bro. Relieve mine too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Buy a guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Some people don't find their perfect neck backshape for years and years. Only after extensive searching might they find a guitar that comes remotely close to the perfect one. Then comes custom shop time and fine-tweaking that almost perfect profile. I still don't know what my perfect profile is but my Soloist neck is semi-close for me. But for now, it's still comfortable for me to really enjoy it.

Comment

Well I have Notp's old 560, and a ps-4. The necks are both real thin but the 560's is alittle bit wider and maybe a tad thinner (not much if it is though). So I guess you could say the they are real comparable. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oop's I reread the post and seen your asking about the dk2 neck not the ps-4. Sorry about the confusion. [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X