Question about the Jackson PS-4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Jackson PS-4...

Hello guys. A simple question. Will the neck of a DK2 or a DXMG fit the Jackson PS-4 body? If so, what kind of work would it require? Other than that, can anyone compare the specs of the two necks?

Basically, I'm trying to get my hands on a left PS-4, cause of the H/S/H, and get the DK2 neck, because of the Sharkies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]. Thanks for reading, please reply.

Re: Question about the Jackson PS-4...

I think the PS-4 is a 24-fret with 25.5" scale guitar so the DK2/DXMG necks should go right on there if I assume correctly. I don't know if there are lefty DXMGs so you'd probably want a lefty DK2 neck.

I know you've asked about single coil sized humbuckers in a DK2 before so I thought I'd ward off those kinds of questions before someone tries to get you to buy a lefty DK2 again.

Comment

Hey man, thanks for replying. I think that would work too.

About the humbucker issue, well, I have pretty much settled on the DK2, seeing how I had no options. But I thought that before I buy it, why not I find out if the neck switch would work. That way, if I could get a PS-4 BEFORE I finally buy a DK2, I would have the option of getting exactly what I want. I hope it makes sense what I'm saying [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

By thw way, do you think there might be any tremelo issues? What kind of a tremelo is used in the PS-4? Thanks for replying!

Comment

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has any other comments on this topic. The replies are surprisingly low. If you have some input, please do share it. Thank you!

Comment

It must be because I warded off replies that were potentially "steer Fragger towards the Hot Rails" sort of replies. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just kidding bro! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL, that could be man. However, what about the trem issues, and maybe some more views if the neck swap would have any problems. Thanks for your reply though!

Comment

I can't recall any PS-4 mods/projects being posted around here, so maybe the lack of responses is due to a lack of experience with the specific parts you're talking about?

Alternatively, it could be that since NOTP pretty much answered your query, folks felt that no further reply was necessary.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

They should interchange but there's a possibility that the DK2 neck would either be a bit smaller, thus loose in the neck pocket, or larger, requiring enlargement of the neck pocket to fit.There's a option that would very likely be cheaper than buying both guitars; buy a lefty DK2 and have the neck pickup routed for a humbucking pickup. Your way you end up having to sell the discarded parts as a parts mutt or parting them out.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey thanks for your replies guys. Its true that NOTP did answer the question about the neck, but there was still that question about the trem.

Anyway, lerxstcat, any idea how much it would cost to get a DK2 routed for a humbucker? Thanks guys!

Comment

No idea about the trem used in the PS4. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've never seen a Performer series Jackson in person before, and the pictures of the PS4 I searched for were kinda small and low quality so I couldn't tell what kind of trem was on there.

You can contact the mad Dr Newcenstein (Newc) about routing the DK2 neck pickup position for a full-sized hum... he did it once before on a hot rod flames DK2... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It actually didn't turn out too bad! But I'd still want to get a single coil sized hum like the Hot Rails... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks again NOTP! I actually remember his DK2. The only thing that LOOKED bad on his guitar was the distance on the neck humbucker to the neck and the middle pickup. DK2 has no room for that. Unlike the Charvel 475. So I guess, I will stick to my decision of getting a DK2 then. I could hook it up with a hot rail or whatever, I mean the main thing is, that I learn to play the guitar first [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

By the way, I don't want to start a new thread for this, but would you guys wanna compare a PS-4 and a DK2? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

I don't have experience with the Performer series, but I would think that the DK2, being a Pro series, would be a top-of-the-line import. The Performer series were one step lower than the Professional series in the 1990s, I believe.

Heh, yeah, none of the current guitars have the extra room for a neck hum except for the current PC1 where the sustainer neck pickup needs to be placed as far away from the other pickups as possible to work properly. Could always route that bad by for a full-sized hum and it will look "balanced". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Definitely go with a single coil sized humbucker... that's what they're made for. Much cheaper and less risky than getting your precious guitar routed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And besides, when playing under very high gain, you cna barely tell the difference between a neck hum and a neck single coil anyways.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The Performer series were one step lower than the Professional series in the 1990s, I believe

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the "Concept" series???

Comment

the Concept series were precursors to the Performers
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. How about the comparison in playability. The necks and stuff, any of you guys have experienced playing both the guitars? Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X