Charvel Model 3 with painted neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
    Since when does someone do a shitty repair yet the paint match flawlessly? Never mind the cracks lol

up close (2).jpg
    Good eye!

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
      Since when does someone do a shitty repair yet the paint match flawlessly? Never mind the cracks lol
      Do you think this is a bad repair?
      So you wonder why a bad repair was done but with a perfect paint job?
      So what's your conclusion?
      Help me understand your reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by francesco73 View Post

Do you think this is a bad repair?
        So you wonder why a bad repair was done but with a perfect paint job?
        So what's your conclusion?
        Help me understand your reasoning.
        Anyone that can paint well or even half ass could repair that tip or pointy. You don't have one skill without the other. I never thought it was legit anyway, never seen one in however many years I've been on here.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Ah, maybe I understand. If that defect had occurred due to a bump, there would have been cracks in the paint. Instead the paint is perfect. This means that the headstock has been repaired and then repainted. Did I get it right?

Comment

Ah, maybe I understand. If that defect had occurred due to a bump, there would have been cracks in the paint. Instead the paint is perfect. This means that the headstock has been repaired and then repainted. Did I get it right?
            Doesn't look like much of a repair but was re-painted and there are also cracks in the paint not by the chipped pointy
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

help me out here: where in the headstock picture is the indication it was repainted? not arguing, I just can't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                help me out here: where in the headstock picture is the indication it was repainted? not arguing, I just can't see it.
                It's not just the neck.

Does that look factory to you

p5tjaclyt5mbk4lje6k9.jpg p5tjaclyt5mbk4lje6k9.jpg

Comment

I've had several factory finishes do similar things to that, though I've never owned a model series. the wood pieces and grain settle and make that effect. the distortion actually gets enhanced when you polish it and photograph it from an angle like that. it's more an indication of not enough sealer or grain filler being used, or the wood not being sufficiently dried before finishing. not having owned a model series, I wouldn't be able to say whether or not that effect is common or rare in those guitars.
                  Last edited by metalhobo; 09-10-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    If you look at the first headstock photo John posted the tip has been hit and the wood that should be showing has been repainted over and there are cracks in the paint. Just a dead ringer for a refinish job. I never thought it was the original finish but the signs are so obvious I don't honestly understand why some are still hesitant to call it what it is. An overpriced refinished Model 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

If you look at the first headstock photo John posted the tip has been hit and the wood that should be showing has been repainted over and there are cracks in the paint. Just a dead ringer for a refinish job. I never thought it was the original finish but the signs are so obvious I don't honestly understand why some are still hesitant to call it what it is. An overpriced refinished Model 3.
                      the tip just looks like a touch up job to me. a sharpie or brush and some black ink or paint to make it less noticeable. if it was a refinish job the tip would look a little bit smoothed over instead of jagged.

Comment

Regardless of this specific case reported by me, I keep wondering whether or not there are authentic charvel model 2, model 3 with painted neck. I found another one for sale, this time it's a model 2. Unfortunately the photos are low resolution:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30413760280...OGP%7E&LH_BO=1

Comment

Just want to make sure this was noticed by the OP. Crack all the way through at the lower trem post bushing. I know this would drive me away from it out of the gate. Kudo's to the seller for full disclosure and picturing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

And what do you think about this? Has it been repainted? Is it a coincidence that this is a 1986 Model 2?

Comment

And what do you think about this? Has it been repainted? Is it a coincidence that this is a 1986 Model 2?

I don't think any Model series came from the factory with a painted neck myself. I also think it's a overpriced especially with the Kahler 2500. Me personally I would pass immediately because of the Kahler but that's just me.
                              Last edited by Razor; 09-10-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Regardless of this specific case reported by me, I keep wondering whether or not there are authentic charvel model 2, model 3 with painted neck. I found another one for sale, this time it's a model 2. Unfortunately the photos are low resolution:
                                https://www.ebay.com/itm/30413760280...7E&LH_BO=1
                                That is not the million dollar question. But the million dollar philosophical question. So, let's puff puff pass.
                                We know what a M2 is.
                                If some dealer orders a special run of 100. They use the M2 as a base, but want X Y and Z changed.
                                Is it still a M2 or is it something else?

Comment

Working...
                                X