Charvel Announced new models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canadian bacon View Post
    Disagree - this is just becoming part of the rat race. Highest volume sales does not necessarily correlate to success or even profitability. And if you define success as building an iconic brand, it can be damaging.

But it may be Charvel's goal to gain total market share in this manner - it's not wrong, it will just make it difficult to justify premium "custom shop" appeal at the other end of the spectrum.
    Unfortunately it does to share holders...
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Disagree - this is just becoming part of the rat race. Highest volume sales does not necessarily correlate to success or even profitability. And if you define success as building an iconic brand, it can be damaging.

But it may be Charvel's goal to gain total market share in this manner - it's not wrong, it will just make it difficult to justify premium "custom shop" appeal at the other end of the spectrum. That's why Toyota needed to create "Lexus" to enter the high end market.
      I have to disagree. Gibson and Fender high end offerings still seem to be okay even though they have models on the low end of the scale. Yes, Gibson went with a different manufacturer name but remember the Epi still has a Les Paul and SG model. Fender's low end entries still include strats and teles.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong. Nobody seems to ever get sick of those mainstream guitars, even if they were available in the checkout lanes at walmart.

Comment

Why, g_reaper, did you quote me? I surely hope it wasn't to aid your point, since I was being completely sarcastic.

It's simple really. Sure, for the price of a new flagship Lexus, you could get a used entry level Aston Martin, with the Aston being the obvious better choice. But somebody had to buy it new, for you to buy it used. Get it?
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

But it may be Charvel's goal to gain total market share in this manner - it's not wrong, it will just make it difficult to justify premium "custom shop" appeal at the other end of the spectrum.
            No, I disagree with that. Growing the brand, and gaining market share at all levels will make the brand stronger and more popular. Making the brand more popular creates more fans of the higher end lines. More people who aspire to own that "holy grail" custom shop or vintage San Dimas.
            Marketing is my job, I understand what they are doing and think it's a good move. I just hate that they went to China of all places to kick it off.
            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

If they are successful, Charvel will become known for the best budget minded and entry level guitars. (Toyota)

And as long as they maintain the Jackson USA and "custom shop" appeal, that could be the holy grail for Charvel owners. (Lexus)

FMIC still wins. People just need to know what a brand name stands for at the mid-high ends of the market - cause at the low end there is no loyalty and there is always someone just around the corner faster, better, cheaper.

Comment

I just hate that they went to China of all places to kick it off.
                I'm not happy with that part either, but they already had everything in place with the purchase of kaman and instead of trying to change the rep of hamer/slammer why not just which everything over to a brand name they have finally build back up with the production models. They went cheapest and quickest way. I hope that lots of cash so the prices on the japanese models stays where it is.

Comment

Thanks CanadianBacon, this really is my point. Im not really bringing it up to convince anyone just to get you thinkng. Fender was very successful with shifting manufacturing to mexico. I heard in mexico they control closely the QC. in addition someone told me they use the same formula for woods and quality levels as the US which they hold tight. I guess the artist MIM *Fender stuff is reaally good. Thats just what I hear from Fender guys. .. IMHO Kaman was a pofitability choice..just a guess...and Im really against made in China.
                  Here something I found on Ebay*http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/1/3...27220575_o.jpg

***The seller posted a photo of the back of a new Desolation.. Looks like a 4-5-6 or 7 piece body to me.. Thats a bunch of glue and scrapts for $643 :-(
                  here is the item on TheBay*http://www.ebay.com/itm/140681561779

My first guitar was a cheap "Hurricane by Morris" wannabe super-strat. Price mattered, but I would not have recognized the difference between good quality and poor quality at the time.

I didn't become loyal, I graduated to my first Charvel.

Having said that, my first Charvel was a 750xl which I bought because I couldn't afford the Jackson next to it. First thing I did was remove the "made in Japan" sticker, yet now I still have it and wouldn't dream of trading it for the Jackson that sat next to it.
                  Last edited by g_reaper; 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g_reaper View Post
                    Looks like a 4-5-6 or 7 piece body to me.. Thats a bunch of glue and scrapts for $643 :-(
                    It's neck through, with what looks to be a 3 piece mahogany neck, between mahogany wings. That's alot of guitar for $643. Not "scrapts".
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

funny how multi piece necks are an upcharge with carvin and I've seen them on gibson flying v's to name a couple but when they come on a lower end guitar it means it's shit.
                      FYI our promods are 3 piece bodies.

Comment

Hadnt looked at this video.. Maybe Im being rash and rushing to judgement.. I guess if Schecter can do it.. (they did it right).. It can be done..Im off to Guitar Center to find these Schecters and to the closest Charvel dealer to give Chinese made stuff a second chance..

Im still gonna be a Made in America Guy... no changin me!

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        It all boils down to standards and quality control though. If you send the guitars straight off a container to dealers then you are asking for trouble but if you are doing QC before/after they ship then you can make sure they are built to your minimum standards.

See this Schecter video for an example of the right way to do this...

Time will tell if Charvel has the right level of quality control.

Comment

I'm on my way to Virginia Beach for the next couple of days. There is a store there I like to stop and shop around that carries the Desolation guitars. Maybe I'll stop by and try one out again.

Comment

if you do leave an honest opinion.. Id like to know.. looks like i have to plan a trip to get to one.
                            Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                            I'm on my way to Virginia Beach for the next couple of days. There is a store there I like to stop and shop around that carries the Desolation guitars. Maybe I'll stop by and try one out again.

Comment

Originally posted by g_reaper View Post
                              if you do leave an honest opinion.. Id like to know.. looks like i have to plan a trip to get to one.
                              I've already been there once and played one of them.. It was good.. Just nothing that really made me grab my wallet. Unfortunately, I'm sure they don't have the Star yet, which I would REALLY like to try out, But if the other models are good, I'm sure that will compell me to come badk when the Stars come out.

I'd really like a Chrome Rod... Maybe I can pick up a Star and have some Ghost flames put on it..
                              Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I got to Virginia beach to late late night so I went ahead and checked into mmy hotel room. After work today I went to Alpha music. The Desolations seem to be good sturdy, well built guitars. I'm not at all fond of the sound but I'm sure that's the active electronics seeing as the most active I've ever owned was a midrange boost in my model 4. I'm pretty much a passive guy I guess. I also tried out a schecter in the same price range and an ESP. and they are all pretty equal with the Schecter having a bit of an edge over all.

Needless to say, after a second look, I still wasn't possessed to buy one. Honestly, the look good, they feel ok, just not my thing.. The trip wasn't a total waste though, I picked up an extention cab for my Blackstar while I was there...

Comment

Working...
                                X