No announcement yet.

Before J/C - What Did You USED to Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First four months that I took lessons in grade 10 I rented a Squier Strat. Then when I proved to my parents it was something I wanted to stick with I bought a Gibson SG which they subsidized but I paid for mostly myself. When I graduated from university and got my first real job I bought an ESP MIII and put EMGs into it. Over the next five years I hardly played this guitar and continued to play the SG. Three years ago I was in a guitar shop and saw this Korean built Ibanez with a quilt top that looked really nice and sounded and played pretty good considering it was Korean so I figured for the price why not. I've logged quite a few hours on that guitar. Last year I sold the ESP and I bought a Carvin CT6M and have played it quite a bit. I know Carvin lacks style and prestige but this is a nice guitar. I also bought one of the new carved-top Ibanez RGs. This guitar and me haven't clicked. The neck is too thin and I don't like the ceramic magnet pick-ups (should have known since I never liked the EMGs that much). My first Jackson was ordered this past July and I hope it will arrive soon.

Comment

my first guitar was lent (gave me, but then took back) and it was a silvertone, miss that little guitar.

Then i got a aria Pro II cardinal series DC with set neck. Still have this guitar and in the middle of restoring.

Then i got a Ibanez 540P that i still have and still play. Back in 91 I busted the neck and for many years it sat because ibanez wanted $400 for a new neck. Then the wonderfull world of ebay gave me the chance to restore it.

Sometime in 89 i purchased a NJ series warlock, which i sold to someone on this board.

In 91 is when i broke the neck on the ibanez, bought a cheap squier that i loved and played for years. Had a 80's Super distortions in it and for plywood it sounded great.

Then in 1999 i got 7 string happy and purchased a ibanez 7620 in Vampire kiss color, used that for two years. Then in 2001 i got into gibsons and jacksons.

Now i have many guitars, mostly gibsons, depending on my mood depends on what i play. i will probaly end up keeping most of my gibsons, my charvel model 5, my aria and my ibanez and sell everything else.
      Last edited by siggy14; 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Aria Pro II's superstrat bolt-on's (and I still like them), then Gibson's, and currently Jackson/Charvels. I never really sell, so the collection keeps growing. I love all of my axes.

Comment

esps, bc riches, a gibson explorer, kramers...and tons more...its really sickening how many guitars i owned before finally coming around to charvel/jackson really...lol...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Gibson Les Pauls and various American made Fender Strats (Strat Plus, Clapton, YJM). Gretsch's were my first electrics. Also built several guitars in the "Super Strat" style. I even have a Fretlight and Smartlight guitars. I didn't even look at a Jackson or Charvel till 2004. That's after 40 years of playing the others.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Started out with a Fernandes white strat bought in Okinawa, and Peavey T60? Progressed to a Gibson les paul custom lite and SG. Bought a Vester, LOL and from there I went through an acoustic playing period with an Ovation. Now besides my DKMGT I still play my $199 fender esquire gt custom and Michael Kelly Patriot Q. I wish I would have never sold that Fernandes strat. Had great tone.
              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I started off as an epiphone man. Then came the superstrats. First one was an Ibanez, then came the Charvels. Still never owned a Jackson.

Comment

I started out on an Epiphone Epi Strat... POS guitar but it would be cool to have still, as it was my first guitar. Then I got an Ibanez, though I have no idea which model it was, all I know is that it was an RG something. Neat looking guitar, wish I still had that one too.

And now, I play nothing but Jackson/Charvels. I dont think thats ever going to change either.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

This pup...

Bought new, and I still have her! Ibanezii, Hondo, Guild, Westones, you name it. Always wanted a proper Rhoads but could never stretch for one back then...then along came a Model 6.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Fender strat, Washburn CS780 and an ESP Standard V.. I still play them. I'm still a fender guy.
                      "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

My first guitar was a Les Paul Copy with effects. After a few months sold the guitar to a friend and bought a 86 MIJ Fender Squier. Loved that guitar but sold it because the neck didn't line up. In 1988 I bought my first charvel a used Model 6. Its been my favorite guitar ever since. So much so I received #2 yesterday.

Comment

My first guitar was a Jackson PS3T but I couldn't play it because of the V shape( sitting problem) Then I learned guitar mostly on a cheap Korean Washburn Mercury. Now I have 2 Charvels and 2 Jackson( Thanks to Scott (VWall), Matt and Danastas)

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                            My first "good" quality guitar was a Westbury Standard. Still have and it's been through a LOT of mods. Wish I never touched it....

Nice guitars Dave. I still own 2, a Westbury Performer and a Custom, both still in pretty good condition.
                            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Yamaha Pacifica 112m, Gibby V, Jackson Performer (didnt like it), Jackson DXMG (SWOON), the rest is over..

Comment

My First guitar was a Hondo back in 4th grade(early eighties). My brother also gave me his '72 Fender Strat. I was and still am a huge Ritchie Blackmore fan.

Shortly after, I picked up an Ibanez Axe-Star with my Communion money in 5th grade. That was very cool at the time and I still have it hanging on the wall.

My next guitars were an Ibanez RG and custom shop BC Rich Bich which was stolen at a show.

Throughout the end of the 80's and 90's up untill 2000 I was obsessed with 70's Fender Strats and then a quick period of ESP M-II Deluxe guitars. I also went through a Gibson Flying V obsession.

It was just last year, maybe the end of the previous that I played a USA Jackson. Now I have two and want more.

I sold alot in the past two years and these are the keepers. Jackson USA SL1 & KV2; Custom Shop BC Rich Warlock, Ignitor, 80's IronBird & 10 string Bich with one on order; Ibanez 20061 & 20063 NAMM Specials & an old RG EX-370 and Axe-Star.

Comment

Working...
                                X