No announcement yet.

Before J/C - What Did You USED to Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before J/C - What Did You USED to Play?

Before I ordered my first Jackson in '85, I was basically a Kramer guy. I had two up to that point - a single-hum, VT Voyager (Star) with a lightning bolt graphic and a two-hum, Floyd'd Candy Red Pacer Imperial (strat body). Great guitars back then. But when I played my first J/C, it was all over.

It seemed like, very early 80s at least, Kramer had a bigger following on the east coast. J/C's didn't seem to gain a big following in my area until a little later. And they were basically both superstrats so, looking back on things, it was a natural progression for me. Fit right in with my preferences then.

What did you guys play before J/Cs? And how did it shape your preferences later on?

Fender Stratocaster with self hacked humbucker in the bridge, Floyd and stacked hum single coils. I got my first Charvel when the imports first came out
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Les Paul guy here.
      Have a Custom and sold off a Studio, both 90's.

How did it shape my preferences?
      More by what I didn't like than by what I did.
      Don't like neck humbuckers because the get too muddy.
      Don't like bodies that are too heavy.
      Not too big a fan of mahogany.

Love Ebony boards.
      Love between a 12 and 14 degree radii
      Like the shorter scale
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Lots of different stuff, including Ibanez (770 dx and Jem), Hamer (Californian Elite), ESP (KH2 and Mirage) etc....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ibanez guy here... I loved my RG 560.
          I got a JDR-94 when they first came out.
          Nice guitar... sucky trem though. It wasn't until I got my first PC... I've been hooked on Jacksons ever since.
          -Rick

Comment

Mostly Gibson. I have a 1981 V and 2 Explorers. Also, I have a white LPC kicking around here.

I was always a die hard Gibson fan. Still love 'em. The first time I tried my buddy's '88 RR, I said, "This thing is sweet. I gotta get one of these things." The rest is history.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Jackson SL1 was my first "real" guitar. Purchased December 2005. Before that I had a cheapy BC Rich Mockingbird for about 1 year that I used to learn the ropes.

And before that I used a Warwick Streamer 5 string bass for about 10 years

Here's the Warwick and BC Rich:

-a

Comment

kramer st300 shit ass korean and an ibanez rg 320
                that was before the early 90's model 4 god rest her soul.

Comment

Started out in the mid '80s with a Hondo strat copy... that didn't last long until I got my blue Kramer strat (cheap plywood 600ST), then I wound up getting another Kramer strat in white (not sure of what model it was) with a non-fine-tuning Floyd. I sold that guitar because it had a dead fret, but I kinda wish I hadn't now.
                  Got a Jackson Professional Kelly (Standard?) in the early '90s... couldn't stand lo-pro trems at the time, so I got rid of it. Got my black '94 Professional string-thru Dinky HX around '94 or '95, still have it. Had a couple Dinky Reverse models and another Dinky HX, Kelly XLR, Charvel Model 6 which I traded for a Model 5A. Also had a Warrior MG body paired with a PS-4 neck. Had a Jackson JJP for awhile (Jackson Junior Paul) as the only USA Jackson I've ever owned.
                  Now the only two J/C models I have are the old black '94 Jackson Dinky HX and a new black USA Charvel Star, along with a Fender Double Fat Strat, Gibson Les Paul Studio and Carvin SC90. I've been through at least 20 or so guitars in between... Hamer, ESP/LTD, Ibanez 7-string, Schecter 7-string, so I'll pretty much play anything.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I started with a horrible $85 Harmony with two single coils and some ridiculous abortion of a TOM bridge. From there, a Squier II Strat (1991 MIK model) was a major upgrade! I switched to bass for a few years, bought a friend's old Lotus L686 (Dinky copy) and played that until the neck was warped beyond repair. Around `96, I bought my first Jackson, a $250 JS1 Dinky Reverse, and Jackson has remained my brand of choice.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gibsons mainly - a Les Paul and an SG - and Fender Strats. I had always known about Charvels and Jacksons - played a friends 86 Model 4's when they were only a couple years old - but I never owned one until 2004. I did have a woodburn Jackson neck on a Kramer Focus import body that played like butter.. I bought the neck from my guitar teacher in 91 or so for $20. I F'd up that neck - what an idiot.

Now my Model 4 is my #1.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                        I started with a horrible $85 Harmony with two single coils and some ridiculous abortion of a TOM bridge.
                        Yep, me too. Except mine was a $99 strat knock off. Wine red with maple fretboard. I still have it, in pieces in a box in my garage.
                        I quickly saved money for a Charvel Model 3, though.

Comment

My first "good" quality guitar was a Westbury Standard. Still have and it's been through a LOT of mods. Wish I never touched it....
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i went from starting with a bc rich, to ibanez, out of 2 of them i still have one, then an epiphone les paul, then my jackson rr3. easily the best out of all of them

Comment

Ibanez Roadstar, then I went to A Hamer Standard.
                              This was back in the 80s. All I could do was look in envy at my friend's Charvels and Jacksons.

Never really got into Jacksons again until a few years ago, and in between I had Les Pauls and a couple Carvins.

My first Jackson was a SL2.

Comment

Working...
                              X