Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My day at Dean. Dime's guitars, EVH's guitar, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day at Dean. Dime's guitars, EVH's guitar, etc.

I closed up my office early on Wednesday, and headed over to my friends guitar shop. I had an older strat I had acquired, and had sold it to him, so I wanted to bring it over. He was going to write me a check, but I told him to just give me a credit, sure as shit I am going to spend it there anyway at some point.

Thats when I said, "hey, just call Elliot over at Dean, and tell him I want to come over and look at some of the Hardtails in the artist room". As you all know, I am a huge fan of the US Hardtails. This isnt meant to be an ad for them, but if you havent played one, you are missing out. ( I owned 3 until Wednesday). Anyway, he called Elliot, the owner of Dean (among other brands), who I sort of knew, and told him I was coming over. He said " hey Elliot,my good friend Shawn is coming over, let him take whatever he wants and bill me" My friend Kent was the buyer for Thoroughbred music for 15 years, which Elliot owned, so they are very close friends

I wont go on and on, but lets just say Elliot met me at the door, and proceeded to take me on a 30 minute tour of their facilities. Things I saw and did:

Saw Dimes entire guitar collection, and played his original Dime from hell.

Played the Razorback that Dime had made for EVH, all striped up R/W/B, but never got to give it to him. (particularly bad-ass....seriously...I told Elliot, when you are ready to sell this, make me your first call)

Took me to the CS, introduced me to Ben Chafin, one of their head guys, and then showed me the double secret Namm guitars they are working on. Let's just say, if you are a Dime fan, get your checkbooks ready.

Saw their new line of US drums that are coming out, under the Ddrum moniker, VERY nice. Floating hoops, wood hoops, just gorgeous.

They have a room with rows and rows of Vintage Dean guitars, just unreal. They use all of them to get specs for their producton and CS models. We went through damn near all of them, held them, etc...some REALLY sweet old bluebursts.

Toured the entire 120,000 S.F. warehouse, its like a fuckin airplane hangar. What struck me as interesting, was the line of 10 guys all clearly taking interest in properly setting up the imports. Very impressive.

So at the end, Elliot took me to the racks of finished and available US Custom Shop guitars and says " well, go through these, take what you want to the artist room, play whatever you want, and I will be back in a while".

So I did. For 2 hours! The Artist room has multiple amps in it. Dual Recs, Kranks, old Marshalls, Engl's, Bogners, etc...It was so much fun to just take your time, go through dozens and dozens of killer US Hardtails, and just take what you want.

I have a question to ask, but in closing, let me say this. This is a class operation, run by a class individual, surrounded by class people. I was treated like a rock star, and yes, I am a buyer and a good customer, but how many other companies owners would greet you at the door, and spend 30 or 45 minutes with you, taking you around their whole damn operation, only at the end say, "hey, here are a bunch of 2k guitars, knock yourself out. Oh, and if you want something different, talk to one of the Custom Shop guys, and tell them what you want".

Fender/Jackson/Charve/et al? Yeah right. I love Charvels as much as the next guy, but my love for them lies in the guitars. My love for Dean's lies in the guitars AND the people. After Wednesday, lets just say that picking up and playing one of the hardtails is so much more than playing a killer guitar, it's being part of a killer company run by people that love guitars and customers as much as the almighty dollar.

I picked up 2 more Hardtails. One a midnite blue that is just gorgeous and sounds even better than it looks, and another, I fell in love with, and hasnt even been finished yet, just needs my final approval on hardware..it is just like this one below...Trans Black, freakin gorgeous, unreal tight flame..So my question is:

All Black hardware, except brushed nickel pickup covers?

or

All gold hardware all the way around.

Please help, in a mental bind......

Heres the black....

And here is the new Midnight Blue:

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: My day at Dean. Dime\'s guitars, EVH\'s guitar, etc.

Holy freaking crap. What a great story. Being a Dean fan, I know this is basically par for the course on how they treat customers. They hold a yearly weekend event for members of the DOA (Dean Owners of America) where they throw a huge party/jam session one night, then give a tour the next day followed by everything you just did. You just don't see that kind of customer service in many businesses, let alone the guitar biz. Truly a class act.

And speaking of class, my vote's for gold. I think it'll add just that extra level of coolness to that trans black.

Great story, Shawn. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on the new guitars!

Comment

Wow!You mean customer service is still important to some company? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Seriously,great story,Shawn and thanks for sharing it......+1 on the gold too!
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

This is the exact kind of thing people experience with Hamer guitars, too. It's really nice to see there are still a couple of companies out there that really take care of their customers. Seeing a major manufacturer going to that extreme for the people who buy and play their instruments is refreshing. That is the kind of thing that sells me guitars. After hearing this, I'll have to put a little more notice toward some of the Dean's when I'm ready to buy again.

On a side note, Shawn, would you be able to compare the Dean Hardtails to something like a Hamer Studio or Special FM? There's only one place around here I know of that sells Deans and they don't carry more than 1 US guitar at a time, if that.

Comment

I think a very important detail has been glossed over here. You actually played the Dean from Hell?!?!?!?!?

So please, please elaborate. Is it magic?
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

P.S. I vote for black.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to vote. Black, I was never a fan of gold hardware.

Comment

my vote's for gold! and ernieball's got slammin' customer service too!

Comment

Re: My day at Dean. Dime\'s guitars, EVH\'s guitar,

Wow. Thats it, just WOW!!!

And I vote for gold.........
                  Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                  Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

very cool story Shawn...awesome....and yeah tell us more about playing Dimes actual guitar!! That must of beeen real special.
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I think a very important detail has been glossed over here. You actually played the Dean from Hell?!?!?!?!?

So please, please elaborate. Is it magic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Zeegs, I can tell you this. It was absolutely beat to hell. It had a sticker on it that said "high", some had stickers that said "low", as in tuning I guess. The neck was absolutely bare from the 5th fret back. There was electrical tape everywhere. Burn marks on the headstock where he used to launch bottlerockets off of it. Apparently Krista, Dimebag's wife, sent all of them to Elliot, because she knew he would take care of them.

Funny as shit too, Elliot showed me the cases Dime sent him guitars in, and the Washburns , where the Washburn name was on it, Dime had written "SUCKS" over top in black marker...LOL

It played well, but I was too wrapped up in checking it out. I was never an enormous Dime fan, because to be honest, in Pantera's heyday, I was a drummer. Always loved their music and thought his brother killed on the skins.

I played the Dime from hell, and played or touched all of his guitars..Flame, confedrate, etc...The spooky thing to me was when I asked Elliot if this was ALL of his guitars, he said ,yeah, including the one he was wearing when he was shot. I didnt ask which one of course.

Obviously , Dean is making money off of Dime, no question. But apparently Dean was very close to Dime's heart. Interstingly enough, I assumed that Dime had known Eddie for a while, that was apparently not the case. Dime had just met his idol for the first time about 3 months before his death. He told Elliot on the phone "man, I met Eddie, and I am back at Dean, I can die happy now".

When you saw pictures of Eddie at the funeral, crying and shit, you asssumed they were best buds, but apparently, Eddie was just shitfaced, and sort of made an ass of himself.

A very educating trip for me for sure. Because of my assocaiation with Elliots and my friend , I am sure I could get this little tour done again if anyone wants to get down to Tampa.
                      Ok, need more feedback on the Hardtail, Black or Gold?

Shawn

Shawn
                      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        very cool story Shawn...awesome....and yeah tell us more about playing Dimes actual guitar!! That must of beeen real special.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trace, black or gold?

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Man!! Where are the CHICKS!!! Dean = HOT CHICKS!!! Dean without HOT CHICKS = Yawn [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

heheheh
                          Fong

Comment

All I can say is..freaking hell wow..!! To the whole thing you lucky bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] As for the hardware, I've never been a fan of gold, but if the guitar body is going to be figured and colored like the one posted, I'd go gold.
                            The Buzzard does not fear
                            The man in riot gear
                            Harvest a skull of stone
                            The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Thanks for posting that amazing account. It's great to read stuff like this, and it gives me newfound respect for Dean as a company.

I vote for black. Never was a big fan of gold hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X