Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a quote taken from an interview, with a quote about Jackson's:

Originally posted by Interviewer
    You're now playing Ibanez guitars instead of Jackson Guitars, why the switch?
    Originally posted by Marty Friedman
    I switched over to Ibanez about four years ago. I think Jackson guitars are probably the best guitars in the world for heavy metal music and I really can't dispute that at all. But I think outside of heavy metal, there are many, many better guitars than Jackson. That is, if you want to have a wider palette of flavours and colours. I tried so many different guitars and I basically wanted a guitar that was a good solid instrument, not an extremely, expensive and extravagant instrument, something that I could play that people could afford to buy and something that I'd be happy to play whether it be full-on aggressive stuff as well as more pop kind of music as well. Ibanez was the one that could do it all and I'm very happy with it. I've got a signature model that has been out for two years now that is called the MFM Marty Friedman Model and it's a rad guitar. I've got about four or five of those but they're all basically their sound is identical except that their colours are different. They are what are all over the Loudspeaker album.
    Interview:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter...ve_enough.html

And another from a Q/A section on his website:

Originally posted by Question #15
    You used to endorse for Jackson before, but you are endorsed for Ibanez right now, why do you change the endorsement?
    Originally posted by Marty Friedman
    Jackson is possibly the world's best heavy metal guitar. I needed a guitar with a little more versatility. It's that simple.
    Question #15 from the this Q/A section on his website:
    http://www.martyfriedman.com/info_ar...hp?id=6&det=74

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      I can't see why they'd ditch on him.
      ORLY?

Comment

tHat guitar looks boring and er uninspiring.

On a side note i am really looking forward to his new album, I saw an interview and he claims its going to be better than dragon's kiss.

"I rarely listen to my previous stuff, but sometimes I listen back to it and see what was going on. And a song called 'Forbidden City' kind of made me think, 'I'm really still happy with this song, even though it was recorded a long, long time ago. I wanted to do something, not along the lines of 'Forbidden City', but much more intense, because that was a long time ago, and I've come so far since then, and I can do so much more, and I know how to do that kind of thing so much better than I did back then. So I wanted to do kind of like the 2014 version of just the deeper, heavier, more intense version of that kind of 'Forbidden City' kind of mood. And I remember, that type of mood was very, very uncommercial at that time, so it's probably way more uncommercial now, but it's just like, the hell with it, I'm just doing it my way. So that's kind of the theme of whole album — just all abandon, all bets off, just go crazy.

"I'm constantly evolving, so for better or for worse, this is the most evolved, most intense version of myself as a guitarist and as an artist and as a songwriter and all that. But this time, probably more of a metal spirit than ever before, so that might be a little bit different."
        Last edited by charvelsteen; 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM.
        Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

I really wouldn't call a black guitar equipped with a kahler non trem and one pick up all that extravagant. I mean his Kelly's were pretty bare bones compared to some of the Kelly's I've seen here. I disagree with what he said about Jackson only being a "Metal" guitar. I've used mine for Jazz, Blues, metal, ska, classical finger picking and a myriad of different styles. Flexibility is what makes the Jackson brand so great and I couldn't disagree with his statement more. That's like saying Ibanez is only good for metal. It's just a stupid statement. Why people think that you can only play certain styles of music on any guitar is just silly to me. ANY guitar that's set up right with the correct hardware can be used for any style. By the way you can only play jazz on that ES-335 Mr. Johnson so stop shredding to cliffs of Dover on it. Also tell Dave Murray he's not allowed to play a Fender strat anymore either. You can only play Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens songs on those guitars
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-16-2014, 08:22 AM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            ORLY?

He's just laying the ground work for when they turn 18 so he can pull a Woody Allen.
            Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
              I disagree with what he said about Jackson only being a "Metal" guitar. I've used mine for Jazz, Blues, metal, ska, classical finger picking and a myriad of different styles. Flexibility is what makes the Jackson brand so great and I couldn't disagree with his statement more. That's like saying Ibanez is only good for metal. It's just a stupid statement. Why people think that you can only play certain styles of music on any guitar is just silly to me.
              while your statement is true, i personally find that i play differently with different guitars. i do session work during the summer months (when school is out of session), and i find it easier to do a "pop" gig on a visually neutral guitar vs. a king V. could i do it? sure. would the artist and the producer be relaxed and confident in my abilities to understand what they want? from my experience - not likely. sometimes it is also easier to cop the "true" sound of an instrument in a genre if you use the appropriate instrument, i.e. a telecaster with counrty. could i use my PC-1 for country? sure, why not?! but again, there is some that is "missing" in the tone compared to a telecaster.

from what i have gathered, marty friedman is more of a "guitarist for hire" in japan - doing TV shows, playing on jpop and jrock records....more of a "face for the guitar" than a guitarist - even though he is a great player. in those cases, i imagine, a lot of the time he shows up with a guitar and uses a provided backline or session rig. considering, i would guess (since i know this from MY experiences and i am not as awesome as he is), that he needs a versatile guitar that has a rather neutral visual aspect.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                while your statement is true, i personally find that i play differently with different guitars. i do session work during the summer months (when school is out of session), and i find it easier to do a "pop" gig on a visually neutral guitar vs. a king V. could i do it? sure. would the artist and the producer be relaxed and confident in my abilities to understand what they want? from my experience - not likely. sometimes it is also easier to cop the "true" sound of an instrument in a genre if you use the appropriate instrument, i.e. a telecaster with counrty. could i use my PC-1 for country? sure, why not?! but again, there is some that is "missing" in the tone compared to a telecaster.

from what i have gathered, marty friedman is more of a "guitarist for hire" in japan - doing TV shows, playing on jpop and jrock records....more of a "face for the guitar" than a guitarist - even though he is a great player. in those cases, i imagine, a lot of the time he shows up with a guitar and uses a provided backline or session rig. considering, i would guess (since i know this from MY experiences and i am not as awesome as he is), that he needs a versatile guitar that has a rather neutral visual aspect.
                This is probably true because people are very visual beings and also very judgemental. I don't think if you showed up for a bluegrass session with a KV2 the artist or producer would be very happy. They'd be thinking what the hell? A metal player? This is a problem. You can't stereo type a player by his model/brand of choice. Just the same as you can't stereo type a guitar because of what it looks or plays like. I learned this one day when a 50 year old guy who looked like Louis Skolnick from revenge of the nerds walked into a guitar store to buy a new amp with a Gretsch country gentleman and plugged into an amp and then started playing neo-classical shred metal. You can't judge a book by it's cover or a guitar by it's looks or a player by their choice of brand. This is the only point I am trying to make and anyone who does is foolish in my estimation.
                Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-16-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

in the early days of electric music - even through the 70s, you found guitarists using guitars of all makes and types to create with. it was a different attitude. sadly today, people make associations with guitar types and a musical genre. i even did it in my post. ironically, my band's latest album had ALL the guitars tracked with either a telecaster or a late 50's fender duo sonic. we play high gain, hard rock. not at all what you think if you heard the tracks. so, ultimately, i am right there with you - but if i want that session money, i better show up with the right guitar, lol...
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                    in the early days of electric music - even through the 70s, you found guitarists using guitars of all makes and types to create with. it was a different attitude. sadly today, people make associations with guitar types and a musical genre. i even did it in my post. ironically, my band's latest album had ALL the guitars tracked with either a telecaster or a late 50's fender duo sonic. we play high gain, hard rock. not at all what you think if you heard the tracks. so, ultimately, i am right there with you - but if i want that session money, i better show up with the right guitar, lol...
                    +1 Yep because people base 90% of there facts off of what they see. I have a 1976 Telecaster and it's all original. It's tits so I don't blame you for having a tele at all. John5's Tele isn't exactly stock but he plays heavy shit on it. Just another example of what we're both talking about.
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

yuk..

thats about as alien to me as these two guys playing these guitars

WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

Obviously you could play country on a warrior, and metal on a tele as some do, guys like Brad Paisley can certainly shred it up on a tele.

I love firing up my teles through my Mesa roadster on high gain, sounds really cool, but you're not gonna get the snappy single coil classic country tone someone wants recorded on a warrior or quad neck michael angelo battio guitar, etc.
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                          ....but you're not gonna get the snappy single coil classic country tone someone wants recorded on a warrior or quad neck michael angelo battio guitar, etc.
                          exactly, which is why my guitarsenal, these days, only has a few shredders and the rest are classic guitars with specific tones for recording.
                          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I added a coil split to my SL1T. It sounds surprisingly Tele-ish. The neck & middle pickups sound a lot louder and chimier as well when split (of course they are no longer noiseless).

Comment

RE: the Marty PRS. One of the most boring, uninspired sig models I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                                RE: the Marty PRS. One of the most boring, uninspired sig models I've seen.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X