Move over, Coloradoman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    Very cool...and I'm all for swapping out Ebony if this is going to be a player. As pretty as Ebony is, it brings nothing good to the tone party on an electric...
    I call BS on that. Absolute BS.

Ebony fretboards are amazing on mahogany bodies with either maple or mahogany necks. Ebony is also great with the warmer woods like korina or koa as well. In two years I'll tell you if ebony is good on a maple neck with a walnut body. As for ebony on poplar or alder... that describes most of Jackson USA and Custom Shop guitars they've made for the last 30 years. My custom XTR was ebony/mahogany with an 18v EMG 85... was absolutely awsome sounding. So was my custom Bernie Sr Warlock which was ebony/mahogany/Super Distortion which sounded awesome. My ESP Flying V is ebony/korina and it sounds great.

I just checked the BC Rich Stealth that I have and personally confirm for me that I love this combo... it has a huge slab ebony board. I just found out it also has a mahogany body. I love that tone. It's dark, it has a nice growl, warm in the lower mids, scooped a bit for the upper mids and highs. Great for the epic/thrash/death/tech/brutal stuff that I play. It is an absolutely perfect tone combo for me.

I used to think the same thing about maple fretboards. I had never played one that I really liked. I have a nice Fender Strat with maple and an alder body with a Super Distortion and I think I finally get it. Still, it's not a sound that does a whole lot for me.
    Last edited by xenophobe; 11-10-2012, 01:15 AM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

See? It's all a matter of taste, preferences and opinion. Subjective. Pointless to debate as there is NO wrong answer.
      BTW- how'd this turn into a pointless debate about the virtues & drawbacks of tone woods?
      Here's some more eye candy relating to the OP's content:

Last edited by vector; 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        See? It's all a matter of taste, preferences and opinion. Subjective. Pointless to debate as there is NO wrong answer.
        BTW- how'd this turn into a pointless debate about the virtues & drawbacks of tone woods?
        Rosewood is a great tone wood for coffee tables. That's where it should be used. The resonance when a nice porcelain coffee mug hits the coaster should be warm and with good sustain.

Here's some more eye candy relating to the OP's content:

Yeah, I would leave it like that. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          Rosewood is a great tone wood for coffee tables. That's where it should be used. The resonance when a nice porcelain coffee mug hits the coaster should be warm and with good sustain.

Yeah, I would leave it like that. ;p
          Xeno, you're about as dense as ebony. Just for that, I'ma put me a rosewood neck on this beauty.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Comment

You brought this on yourself, young man. Now take it like a man.

Comment

So mean.

Comment

Nah, I get a lot meaner. That midnight blue Cali arrived today. Gonna send that out for paint by Mike Learn and a new rosewood board. It'll join this one which is due back by the weekend.

Comment

That midnight blue Cali arrived today. Gonna send that out for paint by Mike Learn and a new rosewood board.
                    Or not. The amount of money and time needed to accomplish this is not acceptable. Hate to say it but this likely won't be staying in the herd.

Comment

Or not. The amount of money and time needed to accomplish this is not acceptable. Hate to say it but this likely won't be staying in the herd.
                      I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I'll offer this for trade:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...Korina-bitches!

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I'll offer this for trade:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...Korina-bitches!

Thanks but no thanks. I'm a self confessed Floyd whore. Love me my whammy bars. I'm starting to think this ain't gonna sell and I tend to be a bit particular in my preferences in axes- gotta be 24 frets, Floyd-ed, floating, 2 H config (Cali's are the ONLY exception) rosewood boards, alder or mahogany bodies, reverse head stocks & graphics along the lines of neon colors, snakeskin, bengal and flames are cool. Since I don't see this happening I'm back to plan A- mod the fuck outta the Cali.

Comment

No worries, I figured the worst you could say was no. I don't mind the no-floyd, the shortscale is something I don't get along with very well...

Comment

Working...
                          X