Move over, Coloradoman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move over, Coloradoman.

Make room in the dog house, bro, you're gonna have some company, shortly.

My GAS addictions are J/C Stars and Hamer USA Californians. To that end, I'm building my wife's divorce case for her by acquiring yet another USA Cali Elite and contemplating a RARE double Neck Cali.
    But wait, it's worse. After acquiring and selling off numerous Cali's, including some semi-rare Jim O'Connor factory painted originals and solid maple book ended Elites as well as a few Elites, I had decided that I really wanted the rare reverse head stocked Elites. Got 3 thus far, including two modded Limited Edition's, one of which is in the hands of Dan Lawrence for custom paint. Then, there's the custom order Cali I got coming in less than a month's time. Posted that HERE.

Now I am pulling the trigger on this:
    Cali Reverse head 2.jpg
    Another semi-rare reverse headed Elite that is will go to Mike Learn for custom paint and may very well get a new rosewood fretboard and a handful of other mods.

PS- it seems I can't leave well enough alone- I gotta fuck with a good thing by modding my Cali's. Everyone I own is modded to some degree or another. Lately, the mods have been more and more significant- replace fretboard, swap out all the electronics, replace the trem, rout for different controls and so on. You're lucky, Coloradoman, at least your GAS ends with the purchase of the guitar. Mine starts there....

I'd keep the ebony dude. Sure, send it off to Mike for a repaint and to see if you can fix the headstock butchery a little bit. That guitar is pretty fucking cool.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      I'd keep the ebony dude. Sure, send it off to Mike for a repaint and to see if you can fix the headstock butchery a little bit. That guitar is pretty fucking cool.
      Head stock butchery? What are you referring to? The edge of the paint on the hs is supposed to be that way...

Comment

Did I misunderstand - do they still make Californians as a custom order?

I have to say I'd leave the ebony on that one too - rev head, boomers and all black looks awesome to me!
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Why Why, Why would you fuck with that?

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            Head stock butchery? What are you referring to? The edge of the paint on the hs is supposed to be that way...
            Oh... ok. Not a Kramer guy, I'm a Jackson guy. lol

Originally posted by Trem View Post
            Why Why, Why would you fuck with that?
            x1000

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Did I misunderstand - do they still make Californians as a custom order?

I have to say I'd leave the ebony on that one too - rev head, boomers and all black looks awesome to me!
              Yup. They are now making custom order Cali's and I got one of those coming soon . This is a custom from early 90's, judging by the back of the head stock. Even more cool is that it's a single p'up shredder.

Comment

Oh... ok. Not a Kramer guy, I'm a Jackson guy. lol
                'Parently not a reader, either. 'Cuz it's a Hamer

As to why I would fuck with it? There ain't one swinging dick out there that can look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't tweak an ax to make it just right- to have just a lil' more mojo.
                I get the whole visual and tactile appeal of ebony; got a bunch of other Cali's with it. But I like the way rosewood sounds. Period.
                And since nowadays, a custom Cali, with all the features I look for, runs about 4 grand, I'd say putting about 1200 worth of mods into a 1500 used ax makes a whole lot more sense.

Comment

This is a custom from early 90's, judging by the back of the head stock. Even more cool is that it's a single p'up shredder.
                  I thought it was, but then decided I could see a blade switch on it, so figured I just couldn't make out the neck pickup. That's a great looking guitar dude!
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

'Parently not a reader, either. 'Cuz it's a Hamer
                    Mind thinks one thing, fingers type another. lol

I only alter guitars that need to be altered. That one sits perfectly the way I would want it.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                      I thought it was, but then decided I could see a blade switch on it, so figured I just couldn't make out the neck pickup. That's a great looking guitar dude!
                      I think that's the trem arm. I thought it was a blade switch too, had to go back and double-check lol.
                      Nice guitar, it's a shame to think of such a nice slab of ebony getting butchered.
                      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                        I think that's the trem arm. I thought it was a blade switch too, had to go back and double-check lol.
                        Nice guitar, it's a shame to think of such a nice slab of ebony getting butchered.
                        Nope. It's a switch. The three way is set up on the pickup to have a single coil, reverse phase and full humbucker.
                        And the rest of you ebony defenders can rest easier: When I do snag this, I will not fuck with the ebony, as much as I want to. This bad boy is a custom order and thus deserves being spared. I WILL have it repainted, though. Something ugly as fuck and neon.... the 80's live!

Comment

I almost feel like finding another Californian to trade for that or offering to buy yours. All black guitars should stay all black.

Here's a fugly one that should be refinished...
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Hamer-C...item3a7b2517ff

Comment

I almost feel like finding another Californian to trade for that or offering to buy yours. All black guitars should stay all black.

Here's a fugly one that should be refinished...
                            It's not black, it's dark blue (shitty photo). If it was black, I'd consider keeping it, as is. I hate dark blue, what's the point? Shoulda been painted black...
                            And I agree, that putrid one you found begs for repainting as well.

Comment

Oh ok, never mind me. I just have a real weakness for really cool all-black guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X