Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late new Doberman neck Day

Sup?

After playing some high end classical guitars years ago that had some incredible necks I wondered what that would be like ported over to an electric and I always wanted to explore that avenue. I know Vigier makes the Shawn Lane model but I haven't ever seen one used and I really didn't want to pay that much for a guitar just to see if I like the neck profile.

Sooooo, I asked John if he could me a neck with an infinite radius( flat fretboard) nothing fancy, just a basic thing so I could give it a whirl, that way if I found that I didn't really dig the totally flat board the frets could be pulled and the board could have a proper radius sanded into it. We hashed out some some basic details, maple neck, ebony fretboard, 24 frets, no inlays just side dots, 3+3 dog bite headstock.

when it came I was like hell yeah and it is top shelf,, but I knew it would be,,, hell its a fuckin Doberman

Now I had to figure out just which axe to put it on,,so I dug through and mocked it up on a Dinky...

which I thought was cool,, but I really have slipped out of favor with the S type bodies as my main comfort shapes are a Warrior type, and V type,,,soooooo

I said what the hell,,,,,I mocked it up with my favorite bolt on warrior..

Yeah,,now,that's the ticket

all I had was 6 inline Tuning keys in my parts box so thats what it got,, then test fitted it with the trem and strings,,, didn't come out bad though if I do say so myself

I knew ahead of time that the lock nut would be a problem so I had one machined out of stainless and was the first thing put on as I was worried it wouldn't fit just right, but its like a glove so that was a big relief.

I also knew I would have to shim the saddles on the floyd of whatever guitar I put it on, and was already working on that, but was able to swing a P'up deal and traded a Dimarzio EVO-7 for 6 new #3 Saddles so I ended up with the level height with little hassle.

I didn't like the way the Takeuchi floyd I had on there felt, I cant really explain it, it just didn't feel right on the posts. it looked right, but something about it I didn't like.The one that came off of this guitar is a low pro, so the new saddles wouldn't fit it and I used the Takeuchi cause it has the grooves and ridges to keep the saddles aligned and I couldn't keep the saddles from twisting alittle when I tried putting them on my old OFR as its baseplate is just flat although I really wanted to use it.

So I ended up using the chrome Charvel I pulled off of another guitar,, and all is good. I think it even looks kinda cool too.

It feels pretty cool, and it takes just a little tweaking my playing style to get there , but I have been getting used to it,, my left hand is not really a big switch other than having to force a little better hand posture, but not to bad.

I've had to adjust my picking a little bit though, and has takin a little to get use to but I am starting to get the feel for it. Maybe its just me, but I can feel the difference as I have to jump over every string as opposed to when your pick passes over the lower height ones with a radius. makes me work a little, but that is a good thing, a little woodsheding will do me good as I've been kind of a slacker lately and this has gotten me to take a little closer look at my technique,,so maybe at some point I may actually be able to get out of this rut and get better.
    :ROTF:

I was actually recording with it last night a little bit, nothing major just one of my tunes I was working on a patch in the Axe-fx for, and will post up a clip in the MP3 section here in a little bit and I'll edit the link in here too.

Anyway once again another Kick ass Doberman product in the house,,and don't hesitate to hit John up if you need something done as I'm sure he can make it happen.

Thanks brother

MOSHON

DAVE
    Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM. Reason: added mp3 link
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
    X