ATTN: Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
    If someone wants to start an "Ask Jackson" section, I'm volunteering to keep tabs on it...Mike McGregor Product Manager Jackson Guitars.
    Mike, that's very cool of you to volunteer for that.

However, you should be made aware that - in the past - that area sometimes turned into a "damned if you do / damned if you don't" situation, if you know what I mean.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it - it sure was highly valued, IMHO. But, at the same time, I sure hope you have a thick skin, and have a high tolerance for frequently dealing with rudeness and responding to lame accusations and rumors.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      I don't want to discourage you from doing it - it sure was highly valued, IMHO. But, at the same time, I sure hope you have a thick skin, and have a high tolerance for frequently dealing with rudeness and responding to lame accusations and rumors.
      Of course, that's pretty much just "Welcome to the Internet 101"...

If I were a Jackson rep, I would just ignore the assholes completely, and hopefully that would cut down on the number of such postings in an "Ask Jackson" section.

I think all of the misinformation and lack of information points out the need for both a JCMI rep checking in here occasionally, as well as an updated Mother of All Info Pages somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
        People, we do read the threads. We may not always jump in for one reason or another... but we do listen. We have made changes to products as a direct result of your collective opinions. We dig the input and hope it continues.

If someone wants to start an "Ask Jackson" section, I'm volunteering to keep tabs on it. Keep in mind I put in some LONG weeks doing this job, if i run behind on responses... don't flame me! I can't help with pending orders or dealer related issues... I can provide some advice etc..

Thanks... Mike McGregor Product Manager Jackson Guitars.
        Welcome to the board Mike!

I would assume you'd be representing the Charvel brand as well and not only Jackson....Am I correct?

Comment

Yes you are correct. I am the Charvel Product Manager as well. Stay tuned for more info on Charvel.

Comment

Very cool.
            Hopefully one of the admins will get with you and see about opening up the "Ask Jackson" section again.
            -Rick

Comment

since i've owned a guitar with an OFR i never want to have a guitar that can't have one on it. Floyd Rose could make all kinds of money if all newer guitars came with licensed floyds that could be replaced without any mods to the guitar
              ----------
              Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by sandbag View Post
                since i've owned a guitar with an OFR i never want to have a guitar that can't have one on it. Floyd Rose could make all kinds of money if all newer guitars came with licensed floyds that could be replaced without any mods to the guitar
                Yea I agree. Man I think if JC added OFR's to say the DK2's the price for them would increase. It seems that the right answer would be to make adjustments to the route so people who want to upgrade the trem can. Also, I bet we could get someone like Samash to get an exclusive run like they do the arch top. Just an idea. What is it? 1000 guitars for an exclusive? That seems like allot but man they are always making special orders like this. JMO

Comment

While the price may increase, the increase may not be as much as we'd think, and we'd have a much better guitar. You could also think of it that if your guitar comes with the not-so-good trem and you upgrade to an OFR, you will be spending $170 to $200 for the OFR plus whatever installation labor you may end up paying, and the most you'll get for your licensed Floyd is $50 on ebay (which will end being $40 with the fees taken out). If you looked at manufacturer's cost (not price, and not dealer cost) on OFR vs. LFR, the difference would not be that much. IMHO the guitar price increase will be quite a bit less than the cost of doing an upgrade, probably about $50 if any at all (Jackson absorbing the difference). How much did the price go up on SL3 when they switched to OFRs?

There wasn't much objection or price increase when Jackson went from Duncan Designed to real Seymour Duncans.....And I think it was definitely worth it....Just my $0.02.............
                  Last edited by Mr Metal; 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM.

Comment

If you want the best trem available like an OFR, the company probably expects you to pay for the best guitar available like a made in USA. Otherwise, they probably don't want you to be able to use an OFR. There could also be legal reasons for this. The OFR is a patented invention, and corporations pay lawyers to negotiate patent issues. I'd be interested in hearing what the Jackson product manager Mike Mcgregor has to say about this topic. He probably knows better than any of us.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                      If you want the best trem available like an OFR, the company probably expects you to pay for the best guitar available like a made in USA. Otherwise, they probably don't want you to be able to use an OFR. There could also be legal reasons for this. The OFR is a patented invention, and corporations pay lawyers to negotiate patent issues. I'd be interested in hearing what the Jackson product manager Mike Mcgregor has to say about this topic. He probably knows better than any of us.
                      First, an OFR is already offered on some Jackson import models and second, the Floyd patent has already expired.
                      Licensing is still a condition for some vendors, but again, not a major issue today.
                      Making a trem that is the same dimensions as an OFR is not a technical issue or a legal one.
                      It's a manufacturing decision.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        First, an OFR is already offered on some Jackson import models and second, the Floyd patent has already expired.
                        Licensing is still a condition for some vendors, but again, not a major issue today.
                        Making a trem that is the same dimensions as an OFR is not a technical issue or a legal one.
                        Well i'll make the executive decision of saying jackson should offer the OFR as an option!
                        ----------
                        Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          I should have noticed your earlier post about the RR24 and the SL3 having OFRs. I did check through the Jackson catalog to see if any imports had OFRs, but I was in a hurry and I missed those two models. However, both of these imports are among the most expensive, and there are only two of them, so I think my point still stands. You get what you pay for. They would rather have you go through the trouble of finding another JT-580lp of the same quality to replace your worn out one, or buy a new guitar. Otherwise they want you to pay top dollar to have a guitar with an OFR.
                          Thanks for setting me straight on the Floyd Rose patent issue though. I didn’t know about the expiration. It was just a guess, and I tried to word it that way.

Comment

Remember when the 80's MIJ Kramers came with Floyds?
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
                              They would rather have you go through the trouble of finding another JT-580lp of the same quality to replace your worn out one, or buy a new guitar. Otherwise they want you to pay top dollar to have a guitar with an OFR.
                              Just so you know, an OFR WILL fit in a JT-580LP route.
                              It may not look pretty, but it does fit without any mods to the guitar.

-Rick

Comment

Thanks for posting the pic. Now I (and others) can see exactly what people are complaining about in this thread. I certainly understand why there are gripes about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X