Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    I had no idea. Might have to drag out the Fight DVD tonight
    Never got any DVD, but he was on the first album, not the second one. He also played with Jeff Pilson in War & Peace.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Definitely. I guess Steel Panther is pretty much an '80s cliche, anyway.
      The weird thing is that I prefer Steel Panther as a cover band and that's how I got into them, through videos of them playing at The Key Club in Hollywood, before Feel the Steel was released. My first time seeing them was three years ago in Las Vegas when they did weekly recurring gigs at Mandalay House of Blues in between album tours, and because it wasn't specifically in support of an album, I think they were OK to play a mix of covers and originals. The next three times I saw them in Montreal was actual touring in support of albums (and once as Judas Priest's opener) and they played zero covers.

It was fun schooling some of the ignorant kids at the Judas Priest show who were ragging on Steel Panther. They had no idea Russ played with Rob and Travis in Fight. For me, Panther and Priest was a very entertaining, bang-for-the-buck combination, and a rarity because normally I am not a fan of every band performing at one concert and feel my money is usually half wasted.

On the contrary, there's a local band here that does an 80s parody act but I prefer to hear their ORIGINALS. They hired Rob Lundgren (Youtube singer) to sing for their album. https://soundcloud.com/hf1-rocks

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      Millie jumped to ESP. But I haven't been paying attention so maybe that's old news here.
      Who is Millie?
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Millie Petrozza from Kreator.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          The weird thing is that I prefer Steel Panther as a cover band and that's how I got into them, through videos of them playing at The Key Club in Hollywood, before Feel the Steel was released. My first time seeing them was three years ago in Las Vegas when they did weekly recurring gigs at Mandalay House of Blues in between album tours, and because it wasn't specifically in support of an album, I think they were OK to play a mix of covers and originals. The next three times I saw them in Montreal was actual touring in support of albums (and once as Judas Priest's opener) and they played zero covers.

It was fun schooling some of the ignorant kids at the Judas Priest show who were ragging on Steel Panther. They had no idea Russ played with Rob and Travis in Fight. For me, Panther and Priest was a very entertaining, bang-for-the-buck combination, and a rarity because normally I am not a fan of every band performing at one concert and feel my money is usually half wasted.
          I think they're a great band and I've found their originals to be pretty funny and entertaining. I won't be buying their albums, as I prefer thrash metal, but they are an awesome group of players.
          I believe Russ is also a graduate of GIT (Guitar Institute of Technology) which is now Musicians Institute.

Comment

Who buys albums anyway?

Not that it has anything to do with Charvel (as a brand), but I suddenly remembered one of the first The Atomic Punks videos I saw on Youtube so many years ago had Russ playing a EVH-style striped Wayne Charvel guitar. I can't seem to find photos of it, but here's one video:

Comment

That's a pretty awesome video!

And I still buy albums. Mostly CDs, but I still buy some newer stuff on vinyl.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bjornsphoto/stat...74050238631936

Comment

Goddamn, I love that ax!

I wonder if they'd offer that as Custom Select w/ a 24 fret, reversed head stock version? I'd buy one in a NY minute.
                  Last edited by vector; 09-24-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Never got any DVD, but he was on the first album, not the second one. He also played with Jeff Pilson in War & Peace.
                    I have both of the CDs and the DVD.

Fight: War of Words

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814099/

I didn't get around to watching it but just checked the liner notes. Russ is on it.

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Who buys albums anyway?
                    I still buy albums. Everything gets ripped onto the PC for my Walkman and I have a CD stacker in the car
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Not sure when exactly Satchel switched to Fishman pickups but it looks like he had them in a recent Kramer and you can also see the Fishman pickups in the pic I posted above.

Here's a recent Fishman video, also featuring more kids that shred (starting at about 6:10):

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8495378&type=3

Comment

Anyone else notice there is no "Made in USA" under that Charvel logo ? You don't suppose he's playing a Mexican Charvel do you ?(2017 signature model ???).

Comment

didn't he play jacksons when he was playing W Halford?

Comment

I don't recall him playing Jacksons/Charvels until now. With Fight, he played Japanese guitars Ibanez and Heartfield (Fender's answer to Ibanez).

Ibanez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6QAKd1s96s

Heartfield Talon: Skip to 2:00 for the solo below.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 10-19-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Thats's a Mexican pro-mod. The string retainer is very close to the low E tuner. USA's were a further distance

Comment

Working...
                                X