No announcement yet.

Satchel jumped ship??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hesitant to get one of these due to the 9.5" radius as I don't like Fenders due to that radius, but I found one for sale at music-go-round and I called and talked to the guy there and he played it and told me it felt similar to a Charvel radius neck vs. a fender one. The price was good so I bought it (yellow one) and to me it feels comfortable and does feel charvel-like (pickups sound great also, glad I bought it). I just bought some radius gauges, so when those arrive in a few days I'll check and see what the radius really is and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
      for performance. .
      Are you sure that the Kramers have a "9.5 radii as that is a mismatch with a Floyd Rose slightly should be flatter
      There's a long and proud tradition of factory trem-equipped guitars having radius-mismatched trems, boards, and locknuts.

Comment

They are cool guitars. They 80's they where pretty popular but I'd never buy one. I'm a Charvel guy through and through.
        I'd like to see some signature models come out. That green Tiger is badasss!!!!

Comment

Got a bunch of Kramers but the brand seems like it's dead. Kramerforum.com went dark, which was IMO a mistake given that others were willing to keep it going. There's no community, no place for anyone to get info on the brand beyond what is archived.

Charvel at at least has a major backer. Also, Gibson itself is in pretty rough shape. Didn't realize until very recently that their debt is rated in the Caa range. That's pretty much the last stop before default, at which point they'll be reorganized- though likely not under current management and ownership.

I know nothing about their finances beyond what I've read, but the rating itself and the maturity for parts of their debt coming shortly makes for challenges.

Comment

Received my radius gauges in today, and my yellow Satchel is 9.5" radius, just like the specs say....doesn't feel like it.
            nut width: 1.627"
            width @1st fret: 1.689"
            width @3rd fret: 1.754"
            width @12th fret: 2.016"
            width @22nd fret: 2.161"
            thickness @3rd fret: 0.800"
            thickness @12th fret: 0.908"

Comment

Here's a newish vid with Satchel playing the Charvel dinky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOaH9CUiMs

Looks like Satchel is using Loxx Strap Locks too...

He is also using the stock Charvel tuners, I paused a part in the video and I can clearly see them.

So it is %100 MIM neck, I see no "Made in USA" Logo underneath "Charvel".

Also using stainless steel screws for the nut, which is a good idea.

He probably got that neck off Ebay like I did, I can't see Charvel just handing a MIM neck.

It's no custom shop, just pieces put together...I don't know why he's not playing Kramers much anymore...He has a signature Kramer, so why is he playing Charvel parts guitars?

Also noticed it has a Charvel neckplate, you find new ones on Ebay too...
              Last edited by d4rin; 03-16-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

If it truly is a parts mutt he assembled, that puts a new spin on things. And a highly plausible reason why we haven't heard from Charvel or Fender at all.

Satchel assembling his own guitar from parts is sort of a throwback to Eddie assembling his Frankenstrat. He even played Eddie's role in the Van Halen tribute The Atomic Punks.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  If it truly is a parts mutt he assembled, that puts a new spin on things. And a highly plausible reason why we haven't heard from Charvel or Fender at all.

Satchel assembling his own guitar from parts is sort of a throwback to Eddie assembling his Frankenstrat. He even played Eddie's role in the Van Halen tribute The Atomic Punks.
                  Yeah it's very easy to get one of those necks on Ebay, I got one myself for a parts build.

Not sure why he would bother doing the parts thing though, he has a whole bunch of those Kramer guitars in different colors.

Just watched an Atomic Punks video, the band Satchel was in...damn the guy plays incredible..I really liked him when he played with Halford too.

He played a "Wayne" guitar in Atomic Punks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVB8ymvu9w
                  Last edited by d4rin; 03-16-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

OR, he bought one of those $5 decals and put it on a Warmoth headstock.

Comment

Possible.

I am not too familiar with aftermarket necks, but I am vaguely aware some Warmoth necks come with the ability to adjust the truss rod at the heel, accessible via the treble side of the heel as seen below:

In the pic below, it doesn't exist.

Comment

Possible.

I am not too familiar with aftermarket necks, but I am vaguely aware some Warmoth necks come with the ability to adjust the truss rod at the heel, accessible via the treble side of the heel as seen below:

In the pic below, it doesn't exist.
                        The neck has the Charvel tuners, and has the thumb-wheel adjustment like the new Charvels. And no "Made in USA"...

I am pretty sure it's a %100 MIM neck.

Comment

Maybe Kramer released him of any commitments for whatever reason and he is playing what he wants. Maybe he is fishing for a Charvel endorsement. Who knows

Comment

I want ´em to release it as a sig so I can get the body on ebay and put on my Model 4 neck!

Comment

That's probably true and Charvel posted a pic of him playing a Charvel guitar before.

I think they're working on a sig model already...it's a very simple guitar so you'd think they would announce something by now.

Comment

Charvel just posted this.

Satchel tearing away at his Custom Charvel Dinky Bengal Striped.

http://www.charvel.com/blog/2017/03/steel-panthers-switch-up-a-few-things-for-lower-the-bar/

There is no MIA under the Charvel logo, I am sure Satchel will have a Signature model this year with Charvel.

This is probably a prototype.
                                Last edited by d4rin; 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X