No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 88 current value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to keep it original so I might see how the JT6 cleans up before I buy another one. I agree that Powder Coating is a major pita so I'll just use enamel and bake it a little in a toaster oven. I've done that to screws in the past and it seemed to toughen them up. Itlooks like it was probably just painted originally. It seems like the hammered effect is in the metal, not the paint. If it's in the paint I'll never be able to match it. There is a mint one on ebay presently for 65 but it will most likely go up from there. Just have to get a J95 and I'll be all set. I may try different trems and pups but It would still be nice to have the original parts. I put EMG's in my Jackson Dinky XL but still saved the original pups and wiring. I have a SD Blackout that I might try in it since this is so easy to redo with no TC . On the other hand since it has Mahogany that differs it from most Jackson shred sounding wood, it might be better to stick with a more organic passive pup.

Comment

Wait on the JT-6 you'll be able to find on cheaper then 65.Sooner or later.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        Wait on the JT-6 you'll be able to find on cheaper then 65.Sooner or later.
        thanks for the tip John.

Comment

Yeah they're usually dirt cheap. Great looking 88 though, looks to be in real nice shape !
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I've never seen one before where you could see the low E string windings impressed in to the metal.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              I've never seen one before where you could see the low E string windings impressed in to the metal.
              It really isn't as bad as the picture makes it look. The paint is flaking off and is easily scraped off with my fingernail on some areas. It's not great either but the picture looks like something unearthed from the Civil War era. The knife edges are ok and all the parts seem fairly solid. It just shows how miserable the Florida climate can be at times.

Comment

Tonezone sounded best in the ones I have had.
                Haters gonna hate
                Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Cool Model 88. Yes...sit tight on the JT6...you will find one cheaper.

I've had a couple of Model 88's and really liked them. Really great looks, too. What serial number is yours?

Comment

Originally posted by singlehum View Post
                    Cool Model 88. Yes...sit tight on the JT6...you will find one cheaper.

I've had a couple of Model 88's and really liked them. Really great looks, too. What serial number is yours?
                    Don't tell that to Lawson.
                    You will raise his ire at these guitars again.
                    He hates them!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      Don't tell that to Lawson.
                      You will raise his ire at these guitars again.
                      He hates them!

Haha! Well, it seems he really tried to like them...

Comment

Those are nice. I never played one but always wanted one.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          The one I had sounded great with stock pickup as well. I sold it to someone in Australia... I dun remember, but it might have been VitaG. Maybe not. But it played really well too. Super low action on the one I had.
                          Hi Mike, I got your old Model 88. Still have it but it does sport a JT-590 now. Action was fantastic when I bought it and still is with 10-46 strings on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                            Hi Mike, I got your old Model 88. Still have it but it does sport a JT-590 now. Action was fantastic when I bought it and still is with 10-46 strings on there.
                            Ok, sweet! Well I'm glad you're still enjoying it!
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Oh yeah, she's one of my babies!! A very special guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                                It's all relative.
                                I like mine enough so I wouldn't take less than $1200 for it.
                                That's why I glance at buying backups.
                                But the "dead wood" stories scare me off too.

Cygnus I am in total agreement,, I have prices on my two that I will not take less for them.. One of them is from stray cat,, It's friggin awesome,, and the other I owned since new and a real road warrior.. As far as the pickups go stray mentioned about 16k, I measured the one i got from him and it more like 18k and my original is like 18.5,, I get great sound out of both of them,, clean or over diven(distortions pedal's effects units),,

Comment

Working...
                                X