No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 88 current value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 88's can really be hit or miss on the basic tone.
    I tried out a J95 for a few days and came to the conclusion it wasn't all
    that great in mine.
    I actually like the J90C that I got from...somewhere around here.
    Played it with an EMG 85 for a long time and it sounded fine as well.

Comment

when I had mine I pulled the 95 immediately. sounded very muddy to me. (I did put in back in when I sold it though). another guitar I should've kept.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        when I had mine I pulled the 95 immediately. sounded very muddy to me. (I did put in back in when I sold it though). another guitar I should've kept.
        I've had three with different pickups, they all sounded muddy. I'm with Lem 350.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

i could never get mine to sound the way I wanted either. Though they are beautiful.
          Haters gonna hate
          Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I think these must vary from guitar to guitar, as mine sounds phenominal. Not at all like what I was expecting because Im not usually a fan of mahogany guitars. Worse comes to worse, put an EMG in it... they make almost anything sound good.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yea, I musta had three bad ones
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Mine sounded great with the J-95 not muddy at all.
                The J-95 is a very mid range band type pick up IIRC mine was around 16k.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The one I had sounded great with stock pickup as well. I sold it to someone in Australia... I dun remember, but it might have been VitaG. Maybe not. But it played really well too. Super low action on the one I had.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I had one the was in the 100's serial nb one in the two's and one in the three's all played good( low action no buzzing) But I just don't see a 500 plus guitar there, now I've had four model six's and wish I had them all back and one was a bucket case.

Comment

It's all relative.
                      I like mine enough so I wouldn't take less than $1200 for it.
                      That's why I glance at buying backups.
                      But the "dead wood" stories scare me off too.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
                        I had one the was in the 100's serial nb one in the two's and one in the three's all played good( low action no buzzing) But I just don't see a 500 plus guitar there, now I've had four model six's and wish I had them all back and one was a bucket case.
                        probably because of the rarity. I remember recently seeing a model 5 fx go for 1k because only 500 were made. Makes them more interesting to own I guess. I'll keep mine no matter so I really don't care what it's worth. that said, I picked mine up Sunday. Already took it apart to assess the condition and it needs a bit of work.

Comment

here's the pic's. I broke it down to clean it up. The camera does justice for some and makes others look worse. The trem should strip down and repaint ok hopefully. I'll either oven enamel bake it or powder coat it along with other parts. I'll have to figure out the best way to fill the chips and then buff it out.

Comment

I imagine an OFR, Schaller, or Gotoh floyd would probably drop right in if you didn't care as much about all original parts. Be careful about powder coating that, the metal might have a lower melting point than the paint.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              I imagine an OFR, Schaller, or Gotoh floyd would probably drop right in if you didn't care as much about all original parts. Be careful about powder coating that, the metal might have a lower melting point than the paint.
                              ...and powder coating will make every single hole on it smaller. You'll have to "clean out" every hole to assemble it again. A much more challenging job than if it were simply paint.
                              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Yeah, that JT-6 is toast. Throw in a JT-590 for cheap, and it'll be a lot better.
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X