No announcement yet.

Where's the Misha Mansoor sig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense if musical vocabulary would consist of phonetic words, not sure how utterly stupid it would look to non-musicians though.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by evilfrenchy View Post
      absolutely true, when i was a kid my friends and i *in the 80's) would emulate to the palm muted sound of a guitar with our mouths with the word DJENT DJENT DJENT......ala Anthrax, Metallica...etc..nothing new
      Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      we must've been using a different tone. Ours was more like JUG JUG JUGJUG. I don't know why they didn't christen it "JUG".
      The djent bands actually seem to palm mute the strings more in front of the bridge to get a more metallic sound.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah yeah but where's the blues-rock chatter?
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          Makes sense if musical vocabulary would consist of phonetic words, not sure how utterly stupid it would look to non-musicians though.
          I'm thinking that's why musical notation was invented in the first place. Rather than look stupid to non-musicians, we just amaze and bewilder them with our understanding of this cryptic writing system.

Now all we need is for someone to come up with a decent form of notation for modern bands who would rather play percussion on their guitars. "This symbol represents 'djent,' this symbol represents a 'jug,' therefore this entire line goes 'jug-a-jug-squeal-djent-djent-djent.' This one over here represents the emotional uber-lame portion of the song - notice how the notation here begins to slightly resemble Lady Gaga's face."

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
          Yeah yeah but where's the blues-rock chatter?
          Tosin Abasi doesn't employ the use of bends... so there is no room for blues-rock chatter in djent. Cock dragons on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            we must've been using a different tone. Ours was more like JUG JUG JUGJUG. I don't know why they didn't christen it "JUG".
            Back in the 80's ours was JUNT JUNT JUNT GUGGA GUGGA JUNT JUNT JUNT.

I think JUNT sounds more correct.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

When I was in high school, early 2000s mind you, ours was definitely "junt" as well. Like the gallopy part on Slayer's "Raining Blood." Junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-junt-bu-nuh-nuh-nuh-nah-nuh-nuh-nuh. Then the solos: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bloolooloolooloolooloolooloolooloolooloolooloolool oo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee booooooooooooooooooooooom!

Some things are just goddamn timeless. Even more of a reason why djent isn't metal. Were it junt I might be half convinced....

Comment

Reign in Blood was so epic when it came out. I still prefer Hell Awaits a little more, but those two albums are definitely timeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                  I believe in indian music they use a 'language' called Tal to communicate rhythmic patterns.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                    Reign in Blood was so epic when it came out. I still prefer Hell Awaits a little more, but those two albums are definitely timeless.
                    I think it's one of those things that you like the one you hear first the best.

And yeah, they are timeless. Reign in Blood is just as brutal today. I definitely remember hearing that album at like 15 or something, about 15 years after it came out, and it was like finding the holy grail. Me and my buds were all into hardcore punk and the like at that time, but after Reign in Blood there was no going back. Many nights were spent headbanging in someones living room and slamming beers to Slayer. Most of us are still into the same shit today. I think that speaks volumes about the power of this kind of music... For better or worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                      I think it's one of those things that you like the one you hear first the best.

And yeah, they are timeless. Reign in Blood is just as brutal today. I definitely remember hearing that album at like 15 or something, about 15 years after it came out, and it was like finding the holy grail. Me and my buds were all into hardcore punk and the like at that time, but after Reign in Blood there was no going back. Many nights were spent headbanging in someones living room and slamming beers to Slayer. Most of us are still into the same shit today. I think that speaks volumes about the power of this kind of music... For better or worse.

Yeah, it is epic. I first saw Slayer for their Haunting the Chapel tour, but I first started listening to them right after their first album came out. I wasn't a Metallica fan until I bought Ride the Lightning when it came out. God I feel so old now.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

Ah Yes, the Junt. How could i forget the Junt!?

Comment

• I think for me it was "chunk"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            I believe in indian music they use a 'language' called Tal to communicate rhythmic patterns.
                            There's Konnakol, Bol etc. systems which consist of certain syllables which describe certain rhythmic value but are not phonetic in a sense to describe certain sound. NYC jazz and latin musicians are adopting this system lately, John McLaughlin has used it for decades.

In Western music education there's a similar thing too but more simple. I remember in elementary school music classes, we had to clap the rhythm and say certain note values.

Like half note is Ta-a, quarter is Ta, eight is Ti etc.
                            And it can get more complicated to phrases like Tai-Ri which is dotted eight + sixteenth.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                            X