• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar images **IMPORTANT**

Wonder how much this one uses up [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

NoFloyds: my properties screen says your image is 20 Kb in size. Kev: why was this not an issue on the older board? Will tone down.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe,

I'm really not sure.. I do know when Greg signed on this am the board was dead slow and because he was on dial-up it was worse for him to get page to page. We shut the avatars off for a short time and it seemed to cure the problem. So we are going on the assumption that if you have a lot of large sized avatars loading it is causing the slowdown ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Maybe whats slowing the board down is everyone is saying the word "Avatar" in every sentance. Its the cool word of the day, "Avatar." Todays episode is brought to you by "Avatar." Hmmm, sounds like a cool band name. Avatar. How many people here even knew there was such a word before they came here?....Actually its kind of a stoopid word. Who the hell decided to call these things "Avatars?".....I wonder if Fender is going to make a Jackson Avatar........

Comment

VoiceX's is like 1.2MB.

30 animated frames consisting of 60Kb or something.

Comment

It is possible that the BB software doesn't allow a "single cached copy" of the image for each avatar, or is preventing pages from being cached altogether.

For instance - I post three times in one thread. Rather than pulling the image once from my server that my avatar is on - and displaying it three times - once by downloading it and the other two pulled out of my local cache - it may actually be pulling it three times off my server. Depends on the software, and whether it is allowing the avatars to be cached on the end users PC.

A lot of it will actually depend on the connection of the end user though, and the speed of the sites that people have their avatars hosted on. If someone has their avatar posted on a site with a ridiculously slow connection - there isn't much you can do about that. It's gonna load slow no matter what.

It shouldn't affect the board overall though. It should affect each end user individually. It is going to the the end users PC that is going to connect to the site where the avatar is hosted, and download it and display it in the browser - not the server.

Comment

How about this?

Comment

Hi all,

Resizing tips:

* Cut/crop/resize the pic to an actual 60x60 pixels

* When resizing, set your graphics program to "72 DPI"

* Reduce the colors to like 64 or less

* Use cpmpression of 2-3 (out of a possible '10' in Photoshop (or your program's equiv.

This will really shrink the file size enormously.

Normie
                  (Photoshop God) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 28, 2002, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Normie ]

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2:
                    {snip}...Hmmm, sounds like a cool band name. Avatar. How many people here even knew there was such a word before they came here?....Actually its kind of a stoopid word. Who the hell decided to call these things "Avatars?".....I wonder if Fender is going to make a Jackson Avatar........
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The word avatar has been established much longer than the internet.

av·a·tar - n.
                    1) The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
                    2) An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: "the very avatar of cunning."
                    3) A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

I think it's a well chosen word in this case, since the little pic is a virtual embodiement, or representation, of yourself. It wouldn't surprise me if it's already being used as a band name...but it would be a kickass name for a guitar model. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

/Sun'

Comment

OK, I got it down to 2.36KB

Comment

6.7 kb

Thanks to FMIC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Check out Sid's Avatar....I think its as big as he is.........

Comment

Avatar was the band Savatages first name. And they released an album under that name too. They had to change it to Savatage, cuz some local band sued them or something...

Comment

Mine is now 3.5K - happy? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

NewC, she looks all lumpy now........

Comment

Working...
                                X