• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a dealer for you.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/The-ST...525814QQsofpZ0
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo;1211181
      No one's paying full MAP for these Charvels.
      I did. Plus tax. And I had to carry it all the way home. Uphill.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        In the snow?
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Was that uphill both ways?
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
            That guy is making a killing on these.
            He's making a nice profit even if he's buying them at MAP.
            I think you'd need to have your head examined to pay $450 for that neck.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
              In the snow?
              Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Was that uphill both ways?
              Darn tootin'. Barefoot, too - Damn you young whippersnappers with your fancy shoes!!!
              Blank yo!

Comment

That guy is making a killing on these.
                He's making a nice profit even if he's buying them at MAP.
                I think you'd need to have your head examined to pay $450 for that neck.
                But how many of these is he actually selling?
                Blank yo!

Comment

But how many of these is he actually selling?
                  From what I can tell, every one he has put up has sold.
                  -Rick

Comment

From what I can tell, every one he has put up has sold.
                    Bodies, necks and parts? 450 for a body and 250 for a neck, whats that, 700 - is he going to make another 200 from the parts? That's just breaking even at MAP. If he's bought at wholesale prices, then he's already made 200 or so...
                    Blank yo!

Comment

He's getting $200+ just for the damn neck plate.
                      -Rick

Comment

He's getting $200+ just for the damn neck plate.
                        Looks like only one actually completed, and it was for $70 (still ridiculous).

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items...86Q2ec0Q2em283

And there's no saying the buyer actually followed through and paid for it...
                        Blank yo!

Comment

I think we're confusing MAP (Minimum Advertisable Price) and MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). If someone is selling these for below MAP, they're not making much money off of them but it would be a great deal.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                            Prove it.
                            Spec out a guitar using your parts. (new only, no used)
                            List them here with the prices.
                            Factor in your labor at whatever you feel is appropriate,

Let's see what you come out to.
                            I saw somebody say this on the gear page, but he couldn't make it affordable.
                            I doubt this will be any different.
                            Sorry for the delay in my reply. I was busy playing guitar.

I'm looking at this as buying myself a guitar, not as building them and selling them for a profit.

It's my build and I can use what ever I want. That's the beauty of it. If I find a deal on Ebay, I can snatch it up. NOS Schaller minis' for $20 shipped. OFR in VG shape for $120. You can always find some minty Duncans on the boards for $80 a pair. I can buy a neck with an ebony board if I want...Mahogany body...I'm not limited to what Charvel offers.

Why would I charge myself labor on a parts guitar? One expects to have to do some work when assembling a build. I enjoy doing that stuff anyway.
                            On the other hand, one does not expect to have to sink $ and labor into a new production Charvel. That isn't always the case though and if you frequent other forums, you know it.

If you think the production Charvels are the cat's meow, then they're great for you. I feel there are better options out there for me.

Oh yeah. I called a dealer and they quoted my the same discount that the previous dealer did. $50 off the list/map/what ever they call it. And prices just went up...

Comment

Whatever.
                              Apples and oranges comparo you are suggesting now.
                              Last edited by Flatpicker; 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Carvin?!?

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                                Call me crazy, but I'd say you're crazy.
                                A custom shop is better than a production model. They cut corners in the fretwork, finish, hardware and quality of wood.

I also don't feel these guitars are awesome for the money.
                                I'd take one of these over a production Charvel any day of the week.
                                https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo...p?model=tmac6c
                                It's cheaper, has more features I'd like and even comes with a proper case.

I'd also consider a US Masters:
                                http://www.usmasters.com/Performerguitars.htm

I think I'd even build a parts guitar to specs I want over settling for a production Charvel.
                                Buying everything new from warmoth gets you a body color not limited to what Charvel dicides is in this quarter, quartersawn maple neck, Real OFR Trem, 1 vol, 3 way, Gotoh tuners and 2 duncan pickups for a total of $961. Add SS Frets and it's an additional $20...

And I know I could build one considerably cheaper using other suppliers and sources for parts.

YMMV
                                Yes, a custom shop is better than a production model, but Carvin? For God's sake...
                                I've owned a Carvin DC400 made to my specs. It wasn't good enough. It simply doesn't sing like my Jackson's and Charvel's I've owned. And the pick-ups. They're terrible!! They are impossible to get a proper sound from. Compound radius neck and DiMarzio or Duncans anyday.
                                And another thing about the Carvin guitars: They are flat!! Even with the rounded corners option, they are nasty (unless your used to a tele). And they are hopeless to sell (at least here in Norway).
                                '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                                '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                                '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                                '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                                '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                                '13 Gibson M-III
                                Taylor 214CE
                                Dean 6-string Bass
                                Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Working...
                                X