What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    Here's where I disagree. Are todays strays and telex any less Fender because Leo isn't building them? Are todays Les Pauls and 335's any less Gibson because Ted Mcarty isn't in charge? Is a 1959 Les Paul not a real Gibson because Orville didn't build it?

I say no..
    What if we start bolting-on the necks, would it be a Les Paul? Really?
    An Indonesian Jackson is just as valid as a Shannon-built? it just costs less? Hmm. FMIC loves that kind of thinking. Gibson is stupid then. Put a Gibson logo on the Epis and add 5 bills to the MSRP. They'll be real Les Pauls just the same as the Nashville ones.

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    Companies have to compete in the market place to survive and if that means increasing the number of price points you sell at, thebln that's what you have to do.
    I'm not that big of a purist to fundamentally disagree with that, but a Gibson is a Gibson and an Epi is an Epi and there is a difference. They're made in in different places by different people with different parts. Sounds familiar to this discussion doesn't it?

"IF" it isn't the decal that is creating the demand then change the decal. FMIC can't because fewer people will buy that guitar with a So-Cal "by Charvel" logo on the headstock unless they plan to sand it off and put on a Charvel decal. FMIC understands this and that headstock/decal combo is appealing to ego rather than intellect.

Q: Is that decal selling product that would not sell in the same numbers badged any other way? Like Jackson, Fender, or Hondo?
    Would a Mexican Strat sell less if it said "Esteban" instead?

Fender obviously believe the answer is "Yes", and that's the obvious marketing judgement. Otherwise these guitars would not exist. FMIC is trying to figure out what will be acceptable under the Charvel name and a line better be drawn somewhere.

If Ferrari is sold and production moved to Japan then its still a Ferrari (IMC Charvel) and could then only argue emotionally "they're not like the old ones so they're not real boo-hoo", but if they just open a 2nd plant in Texas (So-Cals) then the real ones are built in Maranello and the Texas ones are copies. Again, I don't mind the So-Cals but I don't like them being equated in any way with the real thing.

I understand your point, I agree with your logic. I just come to a different conclusion using that logic.
    Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 03-21-2009, 02:44 PM.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• From a consumer standpoint, the issue seems to boil down to 2 camps of thought:

1. Purist
      2. Value

The over-arching theme is the business ethics involved, along with intention, not motivation. They're all motivated to make money, even Mike S.

Charvel's were about the go the way of the DoDo as of about 3 years ago.
      Player base was shrinking, as was endorsement by active artists.

I still maintain that it's brand CPR. This is done all the time, the concept is called "loss-leader".

No offense, 85 San Dimas, but you're clearly in the purist camp. If I understood what you wrote, essentially you're saying that if Custom Shop didn't make it, it's not a Charvel. That means we all got snookered and own worthless instruments, and we're just paying hommage to the "brand" - like an idiot tax, or some such.

Just to clarify - who sets direction for Charvel's products? Mike Shannon runs the Custom Shop, but he gets his checks from Fender, just like everyone else. To say that Custom Shop are the only "real" worthy recipients of the Charvel name is a bunch of poo.

Let's put it this way, when all of these guys pass on (and they're human, so it's inevitable) - will no one ever have a "real guitar" any more? Kind of unlikely mate.

Have to agree with Grandturk on the summary (from a busines perspective).

For my own money (all $1,100 of it), that didn't really get me where I wanted to go with the guitar. I Plek'd it ($$), had it professionally setup by a top-luthier ($$), dropped some custom pups in it ($$$). Aside from the OFR (which I am now told is Korean) - and which I could swap out for $150 (it works fine imo) - what differentiates a Custom Shop guitar from mine? They don't hand cut the wood, which is about the only thing that I didn't touch.

Aside from neck-work, fret-work and setup, the only other variables are wood selection. Since they're all covered in paint, it would be pretty difficult to discriminate a CS from a USA, except through actual playing (and I would submit a lot of people buy sight-unseen).

I'd respectfully submit, not a lot of difference. If I add up the add-ons, the price point is about where a Custom Shop starts. This is exactly the strategy used by Custom Shops like Suhr, who take a Strat, Plek it, etc.

What it DID do was put a Charvel in my hands; I liked it so much that it made me a loyal customer.

And I'm filling out my Custom Shop order form as we speak.

And that's how you do Brand CPR, imo.

Comment

• 85SD - No personal inference taken, and I should state the same - it's a discussion, not a personal assault.

However, I maintain that Charvel's heritage cannot be equated with the "boutique" scene simply because ALL builders started out the same way - small.

Is a USA Select SL1 not a true Jackson because it wasn't built from a Custom Shop Order Form someone filled out at their dealer? I hardly think so.

Same with Charvel, who started out as a parts supplier, as I've read, then became slightly organized.

Is my SoCal better than a Mike Shannon-built '83 San Dimas? Depends on which Mike Shannon-built '83 San Dimas you compare it to, specifically because of the inconsistencies of those older models.

I still don't equate pushing a plank through a bandsaw or milling lathe or other powered industrial equipment with "hand made". I equate "hand-made" with unpowered tools from raw blank to paint room.

Yes, it took a hand to push the blank through the lathe or bandsaw, but it also takes a hand to set those blanks into a CNC rig, so therefore if the machine does more than the hand, it's not hand-made.

By your reasoning on the "boutique" issue, Gibson and Fender should go back to being "by order only" builders as well, since that's how they started out.

If the company charter established Charvel as a boutique/non-production builder way back then and that charter wasn't changed, then yes, they're clearly in the wrong today.

However, I'm sure that wasn't the case (unlike Anderson), so therefore Charvel represents a break from the "traditions" established by Gibson and Fender and Gretsch back in the 50s. To move forward and keep pace with new technologies would therefore be inline with the Charvel "heritage", while keeping the Custom Shop options open for those who want finer attention to detail and other-than-standard options in woods, colors, configurations, and the like.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• I can see both points from 85 San Dimas and Newc.

The only thing I can recommend is for the purists not to buy one.

For those of us that do, then let us enjoy them for crying out loud. Heck I was half feeling ripped off for buying one after reading some of these posts thinking my So-Cal wasn't a Charvel... That's a crock though. I've played enough real San Dimas guitars to know what they feel like. For my money it's a FANTASTIC Charvel and I love it. I think they're a good bang for the buck and reguardless of how they're made, they are made in the USA. That means alot to me since my job went South of the border a year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
            I can see both points from 85 San Dimas and Newc.

The only thing I can recommend is for the purists not to buy one.

For those of us that do, then let us enjoy them for crying out loud. Heck I was half feeling ripped off for buying one after reading some of these posts thinking my So-Cal wasn't a Charvel...
            IMHO I don't think you should feel it isn't a Charvel. This line of argument developed as the result of some ambiguity about the origin of the parts (which has never really been totally cleared up), and how FMIC hit the price point. Some made the case that it was all legit USA (exc. OFR), and that corners had not been cut. Some of us argued that there was no way it could be and the discussion developed from there. You have damned good parts and a damned fine guitar. it's just built to a different QC standard in a different way in a different facilty....that's all. The discussion is philosophic more than anything. The post above about spending money to bring it up to "snuff" speaks volumes. You have a damned fine guitar. We've been discussing Superman vs. Batman when either one is capable of kicking your ass.
            Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM.

Current Junk:
            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
              By your reasoning on the "boutique" issue, Gibson and Fender should go back to being "by order only" builders as well, since that's how they started out.

However, I'm sure that wasn't the case (unlike Anderson), so therefore Charvel represents a break from the "traditions" established by Gibson and Fender and Gretsch back in the 50s. To move forward and keep pace with new technologies would therefore be inline with the Charvel "heritage", while keeping the Custom Shop options open for those who want finer attention to detail and other-than-standard options in woods, colors, configurations, and the like.
              In this case Newc Charvel is embracing the mass-produced Fender technology rather than breaking away and this has been a huge part of my position. The Charvel heritage is to make it better than the products Fender (and to a lesser extent Gibson) does. Charvel is embracing nothing new with this move.

As for being on the brink of collapse....I understand the business problem, but I don't see watering down the product line as being positive. it's what Grover did in 1986...also to survive and it really didn't go well long term. it sucks, no doubt.

Current Junk:

Comment

• I'm working off my iPhone here otherwise I would have lots to say. This take too much effort to get a meaningful post in.

Here's my position going forward: I'm going to get an Adrian Smith Jackson instead of the white San dimas. Hopefully that's a real Jackson and not a rebranded Socal.

That was supposed to be said tongue in cheek.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

• ..and I think its read that way. I also think the reference to "Adrian Smith" is probably timely, and from an Iphone on a Saturday no less. That's dedication to the JCF and worth a shout-out. LOL.
                  Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                    I'm not that big of a purist to fundamentally disagree with that, but a Gibson is a Gibson and an Epi is an Epi and there is a difference. They're made in in different places by different people with different parts. Sounds familiar to this discussion doesn't it?
                    Ok, since you brought Gibson in - they are a perfect example of the argument to your point

Gibson makes a $300 Melody Maker and $8k Les Pauls. They make faded SGs and Robot Flying Vs. Some are mass produced and others are made by higher end builders in their historic/custom shop. How is that any different than a production Charvel vs. a Masterbuilt Custom Shop Charvel?

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                    "IF" it isn't the decal that is creating the demand then change the decal. FMIC can't because fewer people will buy that guitar with a So-Cal "by Charvel" logo on the headstock unless they plan to sand it off and put on a Charvel decal. FMIC understands this and that headstock/decal combo is appealing to ego rather than intellect.

Staying with Gibson since you brought them up to make your point. Gibson is using their status as the builder of stuff like a Gibson Les Paul black beauty to sell $300 Melody Makers. The same logo goes on a $4000 VOS 59 as a faded Studio series.

Q: Is that decal selling product that would not sell in the same numbers badged any other way? Like Jackson, Fender, or Hondo?
                    Would a Mexican Strat sell less if it said "Esteban" instead?

Fender obviously believe the answer is "Yes", and that's the obvious marketing judgement. Otherwise these guitars would not exist. FMIC is trying to figure out what will be acceptable under the Charvel name and a line better be drawn somewhere.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Duh.

If Ferrari is sold and production moved to Japan then its still a Ferrari (IMC Charvel) and could then only argue emotionally "they're not like the old ones so they're not real boo-hoo", but if they just open a 2nd plant in Texas (So-Cals) then the real ones are built in Maranello and the Texas ones are copies. Again, I don't mind the So-Cals but I don't like them being equated in any way with the real thing.

Who is equating them with the real thing? I have yet to hear anyone from J/C say a production Charvel is as good as a CS Charvel.

I understand your point, I agree with your logic. I just come to a different conclusion using that logic.
                    Backatcha
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      Who is equating them with the real thing? I have yet to hear anyone from J/C say a production Charvel is as good as a CS Charvel.
                      What's "THE REAL THING" anyway? Possible candidates:

- The parts that Wayne Charvel bought from various supplies, sometimes painted and sold?

- The pre-pro's that Grover and Co. put together?

- The serialized strat heads?

- The San Dimas pointies?

- Pre-Fender? Post-Fender?

- Gold logo? Black logo? 3D logo?

I just think these are some righteous guitars, and I wouldn't have bought my San Dimas if it had any other name on the headstock.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

• [quote=hippietim;1224651]Ok, since you brought Gibson in - they are a perfect example of the argument to your point

Actually I agree with your point re: Gibson. I believe they've made a helluva mess of their line. I don't even want to start with what they've done and no one needs 18 kinds of Les Pauls-it just cheapens everything.
                        "I want the Slash puked on the upper horn and crapped on the neck p/u guitar of the week LP Goldtop 1 of 400 signed by Slash's ex girlfriend on the melted pickguard model"
                        But I don't agree to using it for justification in the opposite direction. Charvel (FMIC, and originally, pre-IMC) is, or WAS until the So-Cals a "Custom Shop". Gibson is not a Custom Shop. They HAVE a custom shop. Fender has two, a Custom Shop and then Masterbuilt within the Custom Shop. I'm saying don't water down the CS by issuing production models using the CS name (the only name Charvel has). It forces a distinction between the two, and a thread like this.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        well...

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        A. I believe these guitars are absolutely worthy of the Charvel name, and you are incorrect to suggest otherwise.
                        and Bionic (who admittedly is an FMIC employee) for two.

Also not trying to quote Grandturk out of context. I reread the posts he was responding to before quoting him. He's not saying they're equal. No one has, not even Bionic. That's not the point. The point I've asserted is that IMHO they are not worthy of this particular brand name (highly worthy as guitars with another name with a truer hertitage to that guitars assembly-like Kramer for instance).

Again, the thread is "what corners were cut?" so everyone agrees they aren't as good.

BTW glad you agree Mexican Strats are copies rather than the real thing.

Try it like this.......you have an old Star for sale around 1750 or so. One of the posters on this thread QC'd his So-Cal himself and dumped about 4 bills into it. At msrp that would put him around 1500 now...............which would anyone here buy? Not for gigging, not because you can bash it, or mod it, etc. but which one will you lay your money down for? The buyer will say "I'll take the real one"................and this is a question that can only be asked by:

Captain Obvious:ROTF: (that was a good one BTW)

FMIC has obviously found a way to build guitars (So-Cals)cheaper than the Japanese and damned near as cheap as the Koreans. They should be patriotic and share that tremendous knowledge with the rest of the US manufacturing base because they have an answer no one else does. "All made here ('cept Floyd) for the same list price as MIK."

Apparently they applied that breakthrough technology to the new Wolfgang if you take a good hard look at it. I'm sure that statement just doomed my other thread but I guess thats the way the old Floyd bounces.
                        I love Charvels, love them. I want them to succeed. This is just my commentary based on what I'm seeing and playing from the racks at the stores.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          What's "THE REAL THING" anyway? Possible candidates:

- The parts that Wayne Charvel bought from various supplies, sometimes painted and sold?

- The pre-pro's that Grover and Co. put together?

- The serialized strat heads?

- The San Dimas pointies?

- Pre-Fender? Post-Fender?

- Gold logo? Black logo? 3D logo?

I just think these are some righteous guitars, and I wouldn't have bought my San Dimas if it had any other name on the headstock.
                          IMO handmade in the custom shop.. back in Cali in the old days, by hand in Cali now..regardless of headstock,serials, etc. Anything else is splitting hairs and arguing legalisms. It would be like a Kramer argument..what consitutes a USA Kramer? Now, there is a long vehement thread where no one will be happy, and no answer can ever be arrived at.

Not on a mass-production line using parts from unknown sources either here, there, or anywhere. The best there is for that style instrument.

Current Junk:

Comment

• So have we decided yet whether or not my Candy Tangerine So-Cal really is or isn't a "real" Charvel? How about my couple of recent custom shop Pointies, are those "real" Charvels or not?

I must say I love them all so Bionic, keep on building them and keep putting "Charvel Made In USA" logos on mine
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              So have we decided yet whether or not my Candy Tangerine So-Cal really is or isn't a "real" Charvel? How about my couple of recent custom shop Pointies, are those "real" Charvels or not?

I must say I love them all so Bionic, keep on building them and keep putting "Charvel Made In USA" logos on mine

+1

Rudy you have such a way with words! HA HA!

Comment

• I agree that pick guards suck. they have no place on a guitar. they are fugly. unless its a seafoam green strat with a pearlized pickgaurd. thats the only exception. there I have spoken. let it be written.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                                X