What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    Heck, some guys would prefer that it had remained dead all long. IMHO, that's just lame.

But - "bang for the buck"-wise - it is a better value than the custom shop Strat? Arguably, yes. ...Same thing with these USA Production Charvels. It's that simple. That's not "cutting corners". That's a different product approach and marketing altogether.

Most of the time I agree with your posts and positions. I think that you have the right motivation in that post but I believe it comes to the wrong conclusion. This is FMIC's issue. We have money, so we choose. They need to sell, so they need to build what is required.

A different product and marketing approach = lowering production costs to make them cheaper and more "affordable" to those not blessed with the funds to buy a "real" one. To achieve this "corners must be cut". Otherwise those $2999 Charvels over at the Zoo should cost $999.

If these "production" units MAP at 999, then FMIC must sell them at about 650-700, which means they have to be built (total loaded cost) for around 325-350. California also has the greatest number of employee protections, highest insurance, etc. so what is the actual cost of the components? Low. How much time spent building it (not much)?

IMO, there is no sense paying for the Charvel name if you aren't getting a Charvel. This doesn't move the brand forward, it only attempts to expand sales. This is going back to the (sometimes) dark past we thought the brand had been "rescued" from.

Shredder I'm not picking an argument with you, but saying that people are locked in the past or would prefer the brand be "dead" isn't accurate. We all applaud the return of true USA high quality Charvel. We do not applaud lesser quality instruments wearing the Charvel name. Cutting corners is cutting corners no matter what FMIC or anyone else wants to call it..like "new marketing strategy".

Fender could have brought them out under the Fender name, but didn't. And so they've earned the criticism IMO.
    Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
      IMO, there is no sense paying for the Charvel name if you aren't getting a Charvel.

Fender could have brought them out under the Fender name, but didn't. And so they've earned the criticism IMO.
      A. I believe these guitars are absolutely worthy of the Charvel name, and you are incorrect to suggest otherwise.

B. Then they would be Fenders and I wouldn't have bought one.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

The bridge is crap. The pots are crap. The fretwork seems to be random - some are ok and some are horrible. The fit and finish overall is mediocre. The knob is dorky. The setups are mediocre.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          The pots are crap.
          I know the volume pot is a CTS. Does CTS make bad pots? I've always heard of them as being high quality.

Comment

Can someone clear the air? I have heard rumors that these guitars are assembled in the states but made in Baja, Mexico. There was a thread here that was removed months ago that contained a picture of the assembly line these guitars are built on, rumors have it that the person who posted that pic was fired and that production line is one of the Mexico production lines.

If this is true, then assembled here does not equate to Made in the USA and the $999.99 to $1099.99 for a mexi-charvel is insane.

Comment

Can someone clear the air? I have heard rumors that these guitars are assembled in the states but made in Baja, Mexico. There was a thread here that was removed months ago that contained a picture of the assembly line these guitars are built on, rumors have it that the person who posted that pic was fired and that production line is one of the Mexico production lines.

If this is true, then assembled here does not equate to Made in the USA and the $999.99 to $1099.99 for a mexi-charvel is insane.
              I thought that was an issue of just having the sneak peak. I don't remember any signs that said "MEXICO FENDER FACTORY" in the pictures.
              there are rumors that they are partially made on the usa production line.

Comment

The case
                Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  A. I believe these guitars are absolutely worthy of the Charvel name, and you are incorrect to suggest otherwise.

B. Then they would be Fenders and I wouldn't have bought one.
                  A. Well, I 'believe" you can spend your money away any way you want. You can't compare that $999 guitar to the real thing. As for being incorrect to suggest otherwise........I say I'm dead on whether you approve or not.

"B" is irrelevent because you are drawing a distinction without a difference. You did buy a Fender. It just has orange or green or gold "sparkly" paint on it. Back in the day we called them "Contemporary Strats", so I am assuming that you are being sarcastic.

A lot of time. effort, and money went into ressurecting the brand and to have FMIC put out inferior product is just stupid.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                    I know the volume pot is a CTS. Does CTS make bad pots? I've always heard of them as being high quality.
                    Mine had one of those cheap pots like in a $79 Squire.

- Newc

Comment

Greetings! This thread has many differing opinions... I think it's totally cool... However, there are some questions and some misinformation that needs to be addressed. Perhaps the following will help you!

What the USA Production Model Series Guitars ARE...

1. These guitars are made in a Production Environment in Corona CA. USA... Not in BAJA CA... I hope this air is cleared...

2. Charvel Specifications, Wood, Paints, Parts etc... CTS Pot's Btw... the same Floyd Rose Bridge used by other USA Manufactures of High End Instruments...

3. These guitars are high quality USA Made Charvel's from top to bottom offered at a pretty good price when set next to any other USA Made Guitars of similar specifications. The Value really jumps at you when you play an import offered by other Competing Manufactures at higher price points.

What they are not....

1. They are not Fender's. They have a Compound Radius, 1 Peace Neck, Different Woods and parts and a very different build specification. Not better... just different... we have a different Customer.

2. They are not Custom Shop instruments. Custom Shop instruments are more expensive and exclusive. You get the very finest that we offer. Built by Master Builders in a Custom Shop Environment. You can specify the parts, colors, woods etc... Much more time goes into a Custom Shop Instrument.

Comment

Bionic, are you confirming that NOTHING about the USA Production Series is made overseas other than the Floyd?

"the same Floyd Rose Bridge used by other USA Manufactures of High End Instruments... "

Nicely worded But it's still the cheap Floyd.

My Pagan Gold Tele did not come with a typical CTS pot. This is what I think of when I think of CTS pots:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/e...al_ctspots.htm

Mine came with some crappy mini pot.

- Newc

Comment

FWIW with these, is it me, or have sales/talk slowed down since the initial "wow" factor has worn off? Also, I'm almost positive one of the cut corners are 3 piece bodies... though 3 pieces aren't awful, my MIM Straight Six has one and it is a VERY well built instrument, but a $1k instrument should use a two piece.

I can vouch though that these are not made in Baja. The comments of spotty QC intrigues me though, as MIA Strats are generally all extremely tight and well built guitars. "Shoved out the door syndrom" maybe? I've not been able to track one down to play, and have other expenses besides guitars.

Comment

Isn't Baja MX and Corona CA about 60 miles apart?
                            How does this really change anything?
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                              More like 110 miles just to the border.
                              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                                And San Dimas is just 120 miles away from Baja, 25 miles from corona. If the plant was in San Diego would anyone question the USA-ness of it? I live in NY and if that plant was here Im sure it would be staffed with "Mexicans" too . Oh, and here is a pic of the pot that comes on the sd model. Id be more worried about the soldering, yuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X