What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tito Jackson View Post
    I am late to this discussion, but I do get it.

Basically, Charvel is talking out both sides of their mouth - $3k for reissues, EVH series, etc., and $1k for So-Cal, but it's STILL truly Charvel in terms of quality and brand.....

I call it a Mexican Strat Charvel...

"At Charvel, we just charge the extra $2k for fretwork, I guess. Cos our fretters really step up when we put "not So Cal" on the work ticket."
    Well, actually I used to think more or less that way about it, but I've modified my stance somewhat after 15 pages of dueling with Newc, Grandturk, and Bionic. I've changed only so much, but I'm prepared to believe now that the CS guitars and the Pro-Mods are much closer to each other than I originally believed. It would appear that the fretwork and paint constitute a lot of the difference. Paint IS expensive (flame graphics, etc.) so maybe there is a way to justify the extra 2k and the extra 12-18 months.

From what I gather it sounds like besides those 2 differences that the main difference between the 2 lines is who is taking the body off of the rack.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
      I'd send it to:

Mike Shannon
      c/o Charvel Guitars
      P.O. Box 245
      San Dimas, CA. 91773

He works right on the other side of the wall from the Prod guys. Between him and them it'll get fixed up good as new. Charvel does stand behind their stuff. (I'd get the real address though.)

Charvels aren't like the rotten no good Squire stuff. FMICs instruction to the Fender-lic. repair shops on those is: "If it takes more than 15 minutes to fix its cheaper to replace the entire guitar." Charvels are unique and a fender-lic. repair shop isn't going to have a clue how to fix it because its a completely different animal.
      The right way to do it would be to get it to your nearest Charvel dealer and have them cover the warranty. Mailing it to a PO box is probably akin to throwing it in the garbage.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        The right way to do it would be to get it to your nearest Charvel dealer and have them cover the warranty. Mailing it to a PO box is probably akin to throwing it in the garbage.
        yeah, get the real address. The P.O. Box address was meant tongue in cheek.

Current Junk:
        98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• The trems kinda suck IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shredabilly View Post
            The trems kinda suck IMHO.
            Are you having trouble with yours? Ever since these came out we've been waiting for some problem reports from them. Please share your experience.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

• I have had some problems with one of the trems. When I first got it, the bar housing cracked, and I had to buy a new one from stewmac. I just went ahead and got two so they'd both have the same trem arm and housing. And when I went to change intonation on one of the saddles, The little allen screw stripped, so now I've got to get a new one of those ... I'm hoping it was the screw that stripped and not the base plate. Mind you, these problems have occurred on the same trem. I'm thinking it's a bad one. The other one hasn't had any problems.

One of the necks had a dead spot in it. The 12th fret is obviously too high and I'll probably get a fret dress and recrown somewhere down the road, unless someone can just fix that one fret. But it doesn't bother me too much, and other than that the guitar plays fine.

Granted, I've played lots of import Jacksons and never had a problem with Floyds or frets. But when I've owned USA Jacksons, I've almost always been disappointed (except with my XTRR I wish I had never sold). The funny thing is that for me, the imports always seemed better. I love the Charvels, and I haven't really had any major problems with them, but I do think quality control is lacking a bit. It'd be nice if they'd farm these out to the Japanese Jackson factory and let them build them. For $1000, they'd be a much better guitar and have graphic options, different hardware colors, and so forth ... like a $1000 DK2.
              My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                I'd send it to:

Mike Shannon
                c/o Charvel Guitars
                P.O. Box 245
                San Dimas, CA. 91773

He works right on the other side of the wall from the Prod guys. Between him and them it'll get fixed up good as new. Charvel does stand behind their stuff. (I'd get the real address though.)

Charvels aren't like the rotten no good Squire stuff. FMICs instruction to the Fender-lic. repair shops on those is: "If it takes more than 15 minutes to fix its cheaper to replace the entire guitar." Charvels are unique and a fender-lic. repair shop isn't going to have a clue how to fix it because its a completely different animal.
                I'd do this. Have them fix the trem up...........I'd just start mailing them to Charvel. They have the people and parts to fix everything.
                Guys, what is Charvels real address for delivery? Maybe Fed Ex knows.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                  But when I've owned USA Jacksons, I've almost always been disappointed (except with my XTRR I wish I had never sold).
                  Hmm, thats interesting. I have many USA Jacksons myself and honestly have found them to be the best guitars out there. I've never had any fret problems with any of them :think:
                  What kinds of problems have you found on yours which caused the disappointment?
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

• No fret problems on the USA jacksons. Main problem (and I know I'll get flamed for this) was I actually preferred the JT580LP over the OFR. Recessed, the JT just feels better. On the Charvel, since it's not recessed, it's fine. I prefer bolt-ons, so I guess that's why I like the Dinkys so much. And on the SL2H and DK1 I owned, they just didn't feel right. The DK1 would always fret out on me when using the Floyd. And the SL2H just felt weird. I don't know how to explain it. I had DK2s and DXMGs at the same time and kept going back to them. So I eventually sold the USAs. I don't have any imports right now, but I'm thinking of going back to them. I prefer the DK2s over the DK2Ms, though. At least, for now I do.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

• Nah, you won't get flamed for that (after all you are "the truth guy". The Japanese have built some fine guitars. I'm not as knowledgeable on Korean or lower for C/J so I can't speak to it as much.

Besides, its a damned shame when a trem "breaks". A person has every reason to be pissed. Especially on a guitar that costs 1K or more...........

Current Junk:

Comment

• for the price even a pickup swap and floyd swap its still a good deal imho. I know if these were around when I build some of my mutts I would have wen tthe SoCal way and modded them and still came out costing less on some of them ones I built

One thang that bugs me is the gap between the pickguard and floyd on the pg models but again, that is an easy fix. I want a plumb one
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Shredabilly View Post
                          The trems kinda suck IMHO.
                          Well yeah.
                          They can't all be Kahlers.

Sometimes you have to settle for a floyd.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• What would make you think Coverdale was the McGinley of Rock, LOL?

Current Junk:

Comment

• for all the discussion about the MIK floyd rose, I thought this video should be posted. * note- I didn't make the video. He makes a good point in his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6ODUG_WK0

Comment

• Ruh roh
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X