What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
    Actually, the reason I posted the auction is for the way he trashes the so-cals in his description. It kinda reminded me of how you posted earlier in this thread. Im sure its all ebay salestalk bs. If he was selling a so-cal he would probably be claiming it was gods gift also.
    Yeah - as I seller, I think what you're selling should sell itself. You shouldn't have to blast a competitor in order to sell your junk - its like the old car thing - Buy American or the Foreigners/Terrorists/Commies Win. What crap.

A lot of recreational buyers would just see that as a $700 Charvel Model 1.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      Yeah - as I seller, I think what you're selling should sell itself. You shouldn't have to blast a competitor in order to sell your junk - its like the old car thing - Buy American or the Foreigners/Terrorists/Commies Win. What crap.

A lot of recreational buyers would just see that as a $700 Charvel Model 1.
      True. Imagine if you could get that for $550, sell off the plate for $150, youd have a sweet USA Charvel for $400. But then theres the cost of putting a floyd on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by neilli View Post
        From the guitars I tried, one cut corner would seem to be in setup. They feel mass produced, rather than 'cared for'.
        Oh, and I seem to recall reading that the bodies were 3 piece as well.
        My SD1 appears to be a 2 piece with a seam right down the middle. I got it last just...about 4 days before everyone else

Comment

Actually, the reason I posted the auction is for the way he trashes the so-cals in his description. It kinda reminded me of how you posted earlier in this thread. Im sure its all ebay salestalk bs. If he was selling a so-cal he would probably be claiming it was gods gift also.
          First of all, if he was going to do it right...at least compare it to the proper instrument... it's the San Dimas...not the So-Cal.

Comment

• :think:
            Yesterday I discovered something strange while playing my So Cal. I pressed only a little bit harder than usual on the back of the neck and suddenly the neck felt as soft as butter. WTF... I looked at the back and noticed that I dented the skunk stripe with my thumb!
            I looked closer and saw that the skunk stripe is as thin as paper! Seems that another corner they cut is making the stripe very slim.

Well, I took a tweezer and saved two pieces of the skunk stripe that fell into the neck and glued them back with epoxy. After the epoxy hardened I sanded that spot. Now it's smooth like a baby's behind again but these things sshouldn't happen. I will take a pictue of that repaired spot, if someone's interested.
            :think:

Comment

• Originally posted by busdriver View Post
              Yesterday I discovered something strange while playing my So Cal. I pressed only a little bit harder than usual on the back of the neck and suddenly the neck felt as soft as butter. WTF... I looked at the back and noticed that I dented the skunk stripe with my thumb!
              I looked closer and saw that the skunk stripe is as thin as paper! Seems that another corner they cut is making the stripe very slim.

Well, I took a tweezer and saved two pieces of the skunk stripe that fell into the neck and glued them back with epoxy. After the epoxy hardened I sanded that spot. Now it's smooth like a baby's behind again but these things sshouldn't happen. I will take a pictue of that repaired spot, if someone's interested.
              Say what??? Pics please!
              Blank yo!

Comment

Ais ctually, the reason I posted the auction .... It kinda reminded me of how you posted earlier in this thread.
                Okay, I understand now. I lost the point of you post in Grandturks high gain assault which drowns out all subtlety.

Well, hmmm.....its like PsychoDave posted earlier in this page that his so-cal felt mass-produced (which it is). Bionic is correct in saying it needs to be compared to a different line ( apples vs. apples) BUT.....I agree with the seller that if he wanted/needed 7 bills for the guitar that a great way to sell it would be:

"Hey, you can have THIS for 7 bills, why pay 11 for a So-Cal (a lesser model)"

I can live with that argument because according to everyone:
                that would be a valid arguement and selling point in general because the SD is supposed to be better.
                Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM.
                Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                  Yesterday I discovered something strange while playing my So Cal. I pressed only a little bit harder than usual on the back of the neck and suddenly the neck felt as soft as butter. WTF... :think:
                  Yep, pix.....

Bionic, is there actually a rear loaded truss rod or is the skunk stripe just for looks?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                    Okay, I understand now. I lost the point of you post in Grandturks high gain assault which drowns out all subtlety.

Well, hmmm.....its like PsychoDave posted earlier in this page that his so-cal felt mass-produced (which it is). Bionic is correct in saying it needs to be compared to a different line ( apples vs. apples) BUT.....I agree with the seller that if he wanted/needed 7 bills for the guitar that a great way to sell it would be:

"Hey, you can have THIS for 7 bills, why pay 11 for a So-Cal (a lesser model)"

I can live with that argument because according to everyone:
                    that would be a valid arguement and selling point in general because the SD is supposed to be better.
                    Absolutely not my point... So-Cal = Front Loaded with a PG, San Dimas is rear loaded and no PG. The guy in the auction thinks that the entire series is called So-Cal and that they are made in Mexico. He clearly lacks understanding of Charvel's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bionic View Post
                      First of all, if he was going to do it right...at least compare it to the proper instrument... it's the San Dimas...not the So-Cal.
                      But not at his price point Bionic.

Current Junk:

Comment

Yep, pix.....

Bionic, is there actually a rear loaded truss rod or is the skunk stripe just for looks?
                        It's a one piece neck. No difference in the skunk stripe material.

Comment

But not at his price point Bionic.
                          I think the point is that he's struggling to sell the "superior" guitar for $700 and the "crap" is selling for more money.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Absolutely not my point.. ...The guy in the auction thinks that the entire series is called So-Cal and that they are made in Mexico. He clearly lacks understanding of Charvel's.
                            IMHO, so does FMIC....BUT be all that as it may Bionic......

Welcome to reality. If they were all from the CS there would be no confusion.

When people call all of them the "real thing" this is what happens. The subtle differences get equalized in the minds of everyone but the people who make them and collect them (and thats just the honest people).

In a year "Efraid of Ebay" is going to be one busy thread.

Don't blame me. Don't get pissed at me, and don't think I don't understand or "get it". I get it, and I told you we were headed here (and worse).

You guys were right, its a gas can.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              I think the point is that he's struggling to sell the "superior" guitar for $700 and the "crap" is selling for more money.
                              Edited::::: maybe you have a point LOL.

What did they use for the skunk stripe in the other post? I've never heard of collapsing the skunk insert.
                              Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM.

Current Junk:

Comment

It's a one piece neck. No difference in the skunk stripe material.
                                No difference from what (by comparison)? Again never heard/seen a skunk stripe bite the dust....

Current Junk:

Comment

Working...
                                X