No announcement yet.

What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe they need to go back to the old way's of labeling the Floyds...
    Floyd Rose two for the Manufactures (Charvel, BC Rich, ESP and so on) using Korean Floyds.
    They have the Special now for the after market so that is taken care of.
    Be easy to add the two stamp, and no more confusion... Unless that is what the Manufactures are trying to cause Seems they are doing a good job of it
    Don

Comment

• Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
      Also with a lot of ESP guitars coming now with the "Floyd Rose Special" which is something even different than what is on the Charvels but still has the familiar stamped Floyd Rose logo ... there are going to be a lot more confused people out there.
      Well, confusion is what this is all about. Selling the reputation but not the quality. There isn't a production technique in the world that will let FMIC (or FR on the trem) build the guitar "here", sell it for 1100 bucks, and have it compare favorably to a guitar that sold for $1K "only" 24 years ago.

Sad about the Floyds, but what do you expect? IF people keep buying them and they'll keep selling them to you............................................... ......
      Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• I was trying to put my Korean floyd out of tune all weekend - just to see. You know, really whacking the crap out of it, dumping it all the way down and pulling on the strings - making motorcycle fart sounds - yanking it all the way up - doing the Herman Li holding the guitar up by the trem (not really such a big deal, since the trem bottoms out against the body) - doing my semi-patented pounding the guitar body with my fist thunder warble.

No dice. Stayed it tune.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

• I play my So-Cal often, and use (Maybe abuse) the trem constantly. The only "issue" (And I don't consider it an issue at all) that ever crops up is the high E string might need minor fine tuning after going through my bands set a couple of times.

To me, that's more than acceptable performance, and I'm left with the opinion that these floyds are good quality trems.

Comment

• I was thinking of this one. Its actually an exact copy of a FR, looks wise. I figures it was the same as the one on the charvel. I know it says special on it and all. So FR makes the real deal from Germany, another identical looking one from korea and yet another identical looking one from china? Interesting.
            that could be the ones on the charvels. I thought the specials were the 1000 series. I think that on the floyd rose guitars they have the 1000 series which I believe are made in china. the 2000s could be the same as on the charvels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              I was trying to put my Korean floyd out of tune all weekend - just to see. You know, really whacking the crap out of it, dumping it all the way down and pulling on the strings - making motorcycle fart sounds - yanking it all the way up - doing the Herman Li holding the guitar up by the trem (not really such a big deal, since the trem bottoms out against the body) - doing my semi-patented pounding the guitar body with my fist thunder warble.

No dice. Stayed it tune.
              I don't think Eddie's even worked THAT good. Even his would occasionally wander a tad bit.........that's why he wanted the fine tuners added to the trem...

Current Junk:
              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• No, it's true... Eddie Van Halen last tuned his guitar sometime in 1984, and his guitar is *still* in tune.

Anyway, personally, I think these production Charvels are fine guitars. Nothing fancy, that is for sure, but they do play well and sound great.

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                  I don't think Eddie's even worked THAT good. Even his would occasionally wander a tad bit.........that's why he wanted the fine tuners added to the trem...
                  I'm serious - I wish I was joking - I want to replace all the hardware on my SD with chrome and creme rings and creme dimarzios. If the Korean Floyd was a piece of shit - that would be my excuse to do the mods right there - but it isn't, so I ordered a Pocket POD instead (goddamn money was just burning a hole in my paypal pocket).
                  Blank yo!

Comment

so I ordered a Pocket POD instead (goddamn money was just burning a hole in my paypal pocket).
                    :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF: I'm like that too.

Note on the other thread (LP's) . Walk into a Pawn Shop...Korean Epi LP Std. from the late 90's/ Insane burst......110 bucks. Now, I don't want no Epi..but I had a hundred bucks in my pocket.....so I bought it for 90 (it had a broken tuner easily fixed). Fire it up through the JCM800 and did the comparo with my R8 and my '87 LP Custom Lite...uh, the Epi ain't as good.

So for the Epi guys I'd save the 899 or whatever they are now. The one got is Korean, I can't imagine the Chinee ones. I mean, its okay but I think the set neck Electras and Ibanez Lp's of the late 70's were better-especially the electronics and workmanship. And they can be had for 300-700. Hell, you can buy a 1981 or 82 hamer for the price of an Epi.

My advice...avoid Guitar Center and you'll avoid a lot of overpriced (as well as bad) guitars. I'd have to vote for buying the Gibson at twor three times the price or buy good used rather than cut rate new.

Current Junk:

Comment

• One comment I will make about these.... The neck pocket route and finish sanding is pretty crappy on both of mine.

My white one has a pretty good size gap on the bass side, and the treble side wood is thin as paper, and the radius isn't nice and smooth where it curves into the body. The bass side gap is actually not even, the corner towards the heel is even slightly bigger, like someone got a little over-zealous with a Dremel or something.

The black one has the same issue on the treble side ("choppy" radius) but not much gap on the bass side.

However I loosened the neck on the white one and it's in there good and solid; I couldn't get it to move much at all, so it seems to be "cosmetic."

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        One comment I will make about these.... The neck pocket route and finish sanding is pretty crappy on both of mine.

My white one has a pretty good size gap on the bass side, and the treble side wood is thin as paper, and the radius isn't nice and smooth where it curves into the body. The bass side gap is actually not even, the corner towards the heel is even slightly bigger, like someone got a little over-zealous with a Dremel or something.

The black one has the same issue on the treble side ("choppy" radius) but not much gap on the bass side.

However I loosened the neck on the white one and it's in there good and solid; I couldn't get it to move much at all, so it seems to be "cosmetic."
                        I guess you just ended up with a visible "cut corner". As long as it plays out right then you're okay but yes it does blow when the quality control guys go on coffee break for like....all day. Sorry to hear about it, but glad its solid. That's a good example of "can't see it from MY house" quality control.
                        Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 05-12-2009, 01:01 AM.

Current Junk:

Comment

• OK, now I'm kind of pissed. Buyer be warned, these guitars are TOTALLY hit or miss.

As it turns out, my black SD1 is a decent guitar. Action is .06 and it plays great, no dead notes, the finish is a little "scratchy" but nothing I couldn't take care of with a little rubbing compound if I cared to, and the lower neck pocket isn't super smooth and rounded off, but this again is nothing I couldn't fix with a couple of swipes with some 600-grit. I'm not "screw counting" on this one, I'm perfectly fine with it for $1000 and I like it a lot.

FYI, the serial number is very low (1100-ish).

My white SD1 (serial number 4700-ish) is a piece of shit, which is unfortunate because I really like the white/cream/chrome look.

1. Aforementioned neck pocket gap with "oops" in the top corner of the heel area of the neck pocket
                          2. Lower neck pocket curve into the heel looks like a 4th grader finish sanded it
                          3. Action at .06 has dead notes on the first 3 strings from the 14th through 19th frets.
                          4. So I raise it up to about .09 (a quarter slides under the 1st string at the 12th fret with no contact) and the dead notes are gone, then I bend the 2nd string a step and a half and "sqeeeeek" the note dies. That's bullshit!

I'm considering my options here, which are limited due to the store's "no refunds" policy. I don't really want to pay for a level/dress on a brand new guitar and esp. when the neck pocket route looks like shit anyway.
                          Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                            And then you have the Ping, which still is allowed to have the Floyd name without being "licensed by." And you have the Korean made, with the Floyd name without being "licensed by." Then you have all of the "licensed by Floyd" models made by God knows who in God knows where.
                            FYI... the Ping made Floyds DO say "Licensed... " on them. Look by the fine tuners.

The Korean ones are made by Floyd Rose, so the "Licensed Under..." tag is not required.
                            Same thing applies to the Floyd Rose Special... it is not a licensed product. It is still manufactured by Floyd Rose.
                            -Rick

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              I'm considering my options here, which are limited due to the store's "no refunds" policy.
                              What kind of store is that? There are many many avenues around that.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

What kind of store is that? There are many many avenues around that.
                                Exactly.
                                The guitar does have a warranty you know.
                                It is guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects.
                                JCMI will repair or replace it.
                                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X