No announcement yet.

What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new here. I'm also new to Charvel ownership, but not to guitars. I've played for over 25 years, and have owned many guitars from many different companies in that time.

Recent band developments led me on a search for a new axe, and I discovered the production model Charvels. I'm fortunate to live a mile away from a high end guitar store that is a Charvel dealer, and had the opportunity to try several of the pro models as well as several custom shop guitars.

The CS guitars were awesome, but honestly, I can't ever see taking a $2500 + guitar onstage. I own several guitars in that price range, and they stay in my studio. Besides the pagan gold So-Cal I ended up buying performs as well or better than many pricier guitars I've played recently. Things like 'tone' or playability are completely subjective, but this is one of the best guitars I've ever owened, and I actually prefer it to the CS guitars I tried out. That's not a bash on the CS, it was just my personal experience.

I don't want to offend anyone here, but the arguments that I keep reading in regards to these being "real" Charvels or not seem a little silly to me. The argument that they're really Fenders... Well I just don't buy that. I've owned several Fenders over the years, including a heavy metal strat, and I've never played a Fender that felt like the So-Cal. Besides didn't Charvel originally customize Fenders? Thus the whole "hot rod strat" thing? (I could be wrong on this stuff, I'm not a Charvel historian or anything. )

FMIC also owns Jackson, Guild, EVH, and Gretch. Are they all those guitars "Fenders" too?

I just don't personally understand the idea that a guitar isn't valid if it didn't start it's life in a custom shop. Most large guitar companies have a custom shop these days, but they also have producion models. I don't think most people consider a Fender American standard strat any less a fender than its custom shop brethren.

I could understand some harsh opinions if the pro models sucked, or if the quality was bad, but that doesn't seem to be the general consensus. And so what if a company only made expensive custom guitars in the past? Companies often change... In many cases they have to to survive.

Anyway, I'm not trying to offend anyone, these are just my opinions. I'm REALLY happy to own my So-Cal, and frankly I don't care what company built it, I would have bought it regardless of the brand... It's a great guitar.

I will say this though, I'm feeling pretty converted to the Charvel camp, and will probably buy more in the future... Maybe even a sweet expensive custom shop creation, so maybe it's a good thing the pro mods are out there... 'Cause I might not have really discovered the brand without them.

Comment

• I'd just like to say one more thing, I don't agree that Charvel production guitars should say "So-Cal, by Charvel". That is implying that these guitars are not even Charvel, but some form of sub-par Focus/Epiphone/Squire series - when they are not. They are Charvel production guitars that should say Charvel on them. The custom shop Charvels should say Charvel Custom Shop on them.

If Charvel starts making guitars in Mexico, or Japan, or Viet Nam, and calls them Charvels, then I would agree with you - those should be labeled differently. But as long as these guitars are made in the USA, it really doesn't matter who touches them when they come of the CNC machine. SOMEBODY working for FMIC (ultimately) will be assembling the guitar as a Charvel.

Fender started as a custom guitar company, making Strats and Tele's by hand in the 50's and 60's. Now, there are production Standard Strats, and Custom Shop Strats. But they are ALL Fender guitars. Even the $900 aged Mexican Strats.
      Last edited by AndyK; 04-07-2009, 09:51 PM.
      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

• This is kind of silly. I spent a few hours last night swicthing back and forth between my 1984 San Dimas Charvel and my 2008 candy tangerine So Cal. They both have Mojave PAF pickups in them and if I wasn't forever blindly, sentimentally and irrationally attached to my 1984, I would have been able to admit that the So Cal sounded better with this particular pickup in it than my baby did. For nailing EVH type tones through my Mojave Peacemaker and my Splawn Quick Rod the So Cal was better. There I said it!

Now my candy purple Charvel has beaten back many tone challengers in the 25 years I have owned it and the thing has always come out on top, but I am going to put that old Duncan Custom back into and let the '84 be the wicked, heavy rock monster it has always been and let my So Cal nail the brown, hot-rodded plexi tones because it literally did that BETTER than my '84.
        Last edited by Chubtone; 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• It's a business. From what I've seen, these things are selling like hotcakes (I mean heck, they completely dominate this forum). THAT'S why they were created in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by TTripp View Post
            It's a business. From what I've seen, these things are selling like hotcakes (I mean heck, they completely dominate this forum). THAT'S why they were created in the first place.
            Not in New York City - Manny's has had the same models on the wall since I bought mine in September. They haven't moved.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Not in New York City - Manny's has had the same models on the wall since I bought mine in September. They haven't moved.
              Well, maybe I'm just giving too much credit to forum buzz. But the bottom line is this: Charvel lovers can get a strat-head Charvel logo'd guitar for about a grand, and that's mighty attractive to the faithful.

Comment

• Originally posted by TTripp View Post
                Well, maybe I'm just giving too much credit to forum buzz. But the bottom line is this: Charvel lovers can get a strat-head Charvel logo'd guitar for about a grand, and that's mighty attractive to the faithful.
                My attraction to the Charvel legacy is because of the strat head Charvel's. Sure I own a Ibanez and a Jackson but my first real guitar was a strat. Now I can get a Strat style Charvel for under a grand, which fits my budget much better than a custom shop Charvel. I probably wouldn't have many chances to score an original strat head Charvel from the 80's or a Custom Shop for under a grand.

Comment

• Originally posted by aceinet View Post
                  Now I can get a Strat style Charvel for under a grand, which fits my budget much better than a custom shop Charvel. I probably wouldn't have many chances to score an original strat head Charvel from the 80's or a Custom Shop for under a grand.

This sums it up in a nutshell! Hence the reason I think these came out in the first place. Now people don't have to ask themselves why anymore. The above mentioned is the reason why. All they have to ask is if they want one. I did and I'm thankful I got it! I hope they keep 'em coming in different colors, hardware, etc. I think the new white one is just a taste of some of the different options we're gonna see on these in the future. I'm looking forward to them all!

Comment

• I think 248 posts is enough. Let this thread die already!
                    Scott

Comment

• Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      I think 248 posts is enough. Let this thread die already!
                      Boooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
                      Blank yo!

Comment

• But Spiv, you made it 249.

Oops, I made it 251.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• What's the record?

Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• I'm now going to switch up my opinion in this thread (because I had a fewskies). New Charvel Pro Mods suck - mine makes me sound like an amatuer. I hate it - its aboot to get smashed unless I play Smells Like Teen Schmeerit 100 times.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

• I was gonna stay out of this thread for the rest of my life but I have to tell you...Its probably the best decision Charvel ever made, and maybe the best playing guitar. Lets face it, Charvel can't survive as a Custom Shop and FMIC has totally ignored the one obvious moneymaker (and I don't mean 1 HUMS or anything to do with Ed)....but...

the Production Series returns Charvel to its roots. Hot rodded strat and tele shaped guitars built with materials and craftsmanship that honestly puts the Fender brand to shame (just like the old days AND still for a cheaper price than the equivalent Fender). What I can't figure out is why nobody else on here figured all this out before I did.

Do I have to think of everything around here?

P.S. (sometimes it ain't the guitar, it's the brewskis. You have to get the right balance between buzz and beligerence)
                              Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                                I was gonna stay out of this thread for the rest of my life but I have to tell you...Its probably the best decision Charvel ever made, and maybe the best playing guitar.
                                YES!!! I win!!!

j/k - good stuff!!!
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X