No announcement yet.

What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's too bad your guitar has this issue with the neck pocket. This thread made me go back and check my two So Cals. Both pockets are tight and even.

Sometimes it's worth paying a little more to go through a "known good" dealer with a reasonable return policy - especially if the guitar is bought sight unseen. I have taken some chances on eBay with with a few guitars from peolple claiming to be "authorized dealers" and most have turned out ok.

Of course the best thing is seeing the guitar in person first. I was in Sam Ash in Raleigh yesterday and they said they are "supposed" to get some of the Charvel production models in there but don't know when. I mentioned they were in the Sam Ash store flyer/catalog and the guy remarked "that's how it works here ... if it's in the catalog we don't have it yet". At least he was honest.

I noticed that Sam Ash had very few Jacksons and only one Charvel ... a DeMartini model. Not that many ESPs either ... just a huge gob of Fenders and Gibsons and a fair number of Ibanez. The local Guitar Center was pretty much devoid of any decent guitars with the exception of some PRSs and Gibsons which don't do anything for me. But that's probably a topic for another thread.
    Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
      The local Guitar Center was pretty much devoid of any decent guitars.
      You said a mouthful and I quoted the one universal truism. Yep, it deserves a thread.

I just saw black So-Cals and Sd2's (new) on sale for $799 today. if you're paying more than that..........well, I wouldn't.

Guitar Center..great for keyboard players I guess but if you love Guitars its a vast wasteland. Too bad no one clues the younger kids in, but we try.

Don't give on the white guitar dude....follow up with a warranty claim...
      Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• They do have a decent amp selection though, or at least at my local GC.
        Ratt & Roll

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Shreddy View Post
          They do have a decent amp selection though, or at least at my local GC.
          Yep ... they do carry a nice selection of amps ... more than Sam Ash. They have the full lineup of Mesa Boogies ... but not the new Mark V yet
          Dave

Comment

• Wow, you didn't buy from Big Apple Music did you? Those losers hosed me out of the gigbag, warranty card, straplocks (just the actual strap part - good thing the pins were on the guitar), and trem bar.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Shreddy View Post
              They do have a decent amp selection though, or at least at my local GC.
              Actually I kind of agree with that. Given the boutique trend in amps GC does do a pretty good job with the Marshall/Mesa lines.

Current Junk:
              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Wow, you didn't buy from Big Apple Music did you? Those losers hosed me out of the gigbag, warranty card, straplocks (just the actual strap part - good thing the pins were on the guitar), and trem bar.
                Well, scratch that store off the list then. That's just unacceptable treatment of a paying customer. I don't know if he said where he bought it.....I think it would be fair to post it if the stor is going to treat him that way so that all the rest of us can avoid that store....like the plague.
                Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 05-17-2009, 12:35 PM.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Wow, you didn't buy from Big Apple Music did you? Those losers hosed me out of the gigbag, warranty card, straplocks (just the actual strap part - good thing the pins were on the guitar), and trem bar.
                  I wouldn't recommend BAM either... The tried to hose me out of the extra's. But they did finally come through in the end. Got everything
                  Don

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                    Don't give on the white guitar dude....
                    I haven't given up on it... 1/32" is not worth giving up on something. FYI, GM Arctic White is a pretty good match.

Ordered some parts for the black one this morning... The black Korean Floyd will become a spare parts donor, to fix the OFR on my DK1.

Comment

You said a mouthful and I quoted the one universal truism. Yep, it deserves a thread.

I just saw black So-Cals and Sd2's (new) on sale for $799 today. if you're paying more than that..........well, I wouldn't.

Guitar Center..great for keyboard players I guess but if you love Guitars its a vast wasteland. Too bad no one clues the younger kids in, but we try.

Don't give on the white guitar dude....follow up with a warranty claim...
                      Actually, I do a GC run to go thru their used inventory.
                      You can get off brands pretty cheap, because they don't know what they are.
                      I'm holding out for a Breadwinner, but have seen Ovation Vipers for $250 without a mark on them.

Also the Guild SG's are seriously under appreciated there.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• I got my Boogie Mk II from a GC for $400 because they (and a lot of people) have no idea how to dial in a Boogie.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          Actually, I do a GC run to go thru their used inventory.
                          You can get off brands pretty cheap, because they don't know what they are.
                          I'm holding out for a Breadwinner, but have seen Ovation Vipers for $250 without a mark on them.

Also the Guild SG's are seriously under appreciated there.
                          Wow! I'm really impressed on THAT one. Have a big David Cassidy tribute thing going?

Just kidding. Someone else played one as well (maybe David Soul or equal?)

The Guild Sg's (what were they the 400's or something-can't remember) have tempted me more than once as well. That's a nice axe to have laying around at those kinds of prices. Next you'll tell me you want a blonde/maple board Ronson LP or a Dan Armstrong. Man, you're out of the 70's big time. It's a cool thing though.

I haven't seen (outside of Ebay) more than one or 2 Breadwinners in 20 years. Yeah, GC can have some used stuff sometimes. It's a tough deal..GC....although to be fair Ebay has destroyed the used departments almost everywhere other than vintage shops....good luck searching.

Current Junk:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            I got my Boogie Mk II from a GC for $400 because they (and a lot of people) have no idea how to dial in a Boogie.
                            I love old Boogies.....some of the newer ones, yeah it could be a little less......well, let's just say they must be able to buy thier knobs a lot cheaper in bulk. But the amps rock.

Current Junk:

Comment

• I've made a couple of scores at Guitar Center but from my experience, there is very little worthwhile on the "used" rack at Guitar Center, and Sam Ash doesn't buy used guitars anymore, just do trade-ins, so they have almost nothing.

The whole "relic" phenomenon has led kids to believe that dragging their guitar around by the strap and letting their dog chew on it makes it "cool" and that's mostly what I see on the Used Wall at Guitar Center. They had a used black Flying V that wasn't very old at all (couple years) and the lower front looked like a bag of walnuts. $799 for this POS. No, thank you.

Comment

Wow! I'm really impressed on THAT one. Have a big David Cassidy tribute thing going?

Just kidding. Someone else played one as well (maybe David Soul or equal?)

The Guild Sg's (what were they the 400's or something-can't remember) have tempted me more than once as well. That's a nice axe to have laying around at those kinds of prices. Next you'll tell me you want a blonde/maple board Ronson LP or a Dan Armstrong. Man, you're out of the 70's big time. It's a cool thing though.

I haven't seen (outside of Ebay) more than one or 2 Breadwinners in 20 years. Yeah, GC can have some used stuff sometimes. It's a tough deal..GC....although to be fair Ebay has destroyed the used departments almost everywhere other than vintage shops....good luck searching.
                                Yeah, well.
                                I know that those funky shapes are not everyone's cup of tea.
                                Got a couple of good deals in the past.
                                NOS MM Bongo 5 for $900.00, Dano 59 RI for $94.00.
                                I keep an eye out for a gently used MM Silo also.

A Dan Armstrong would be cool though, and I've been eying the maple boarded Agile LP's for that 70's vibe.
                                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X