X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no pork fried rice?

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
      So if you wanted a "Real Charvel", would a Wayne suffice?
      I don't know. I'd really like to play one or hear feedback from someone that has a pre and post Wayne Charvel. It's just kind ironic I guess when he lost his name and we all go back and forth about what a real Charvel is. I don't knock the Japanese quality at all I've got a model 6 and have had several other model series and toothpaste logo'd Charvels that were/are all fantastic guitars and yes, I do consider them "real" Charvels. I would have really just like to see the Pro Mod series stay USA built or at least not have the San Dimas reference on the Japan made models. I'm sure as far as the quality goes they are just a good as the USA built Pro Mods. Truth be told, if a person was blind folded and played one of the USA's and the Japan made guitars they probably couldn't tell the difference but it's a principle thing with me. Anyway, that book I read just really got me to thinking a bit about what is a Charvel. I'd like try some of the WRC and Wayne guitars just for comparison reasons. It was an interesting read with some cool stuff in it but I don't think it's all that accurate IMO.

Comment

Has Wayne actually learned how to make a neck yet?

Comment

Ok, now I understand. I was browsing the Charvel site and trying to figure out what Pro-Mods are and what the difference is between them and Production Models (haven't kept up with guitar-stuff much the last year or two) and now I know - MIJ. Any major differences in hardware or is it just where they are made? Also, I just pulled up the price list and have to say, for only $200 more (list, $1099 vs. $899), I'll go USA.
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

$200 more, minus the case, which is probably what, $125 retail? The hardware is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
              I don't know. I'd really like to play one or hear feedback from someone that has a pre and post Wayne Charvel. It's just kind ironic I guess when he lost his name and we all go back and forth about what a real Charvel is.
              Charvel's Guitar Repair didn't make necks at all during Wayne's ownership, and there is debate whether he made any bodies either. Parts were bought in from Boogie Bodies (Warmoth). When Grover bought (bought - not stole - Wayne didn't "lose" anything - he sold it!) - he still used Boogie Body necks on the first logo'd Charvel guitars. Some time later, they began building their own necks.

It is unclear if there were any complete guitars built by Wayne - and even if there were, they are not considered San Dimas Charvel guitars.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                $200 more, minus the case, which is probably what, $125 retail? The hardware is the same.
                I checked out some MIJ Pro Mods this passed weekend. I wasn't that impressed. The fret work was better - all of the frets were very nicely polished and the ends rounded, but they must have gone nuts with the files as the edge of the fretboard was "scalloped" in places. Odd. FWIW - the setups were crap too - way high action, banjo-sounding and the Floyds were cocked back.
                Blank yo!

Comment

So the USA doesn't include a case and the MIJ does? Or vice-versa?
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                    So the USA doesn't include a case and the MIJ does? Or vice-versa?
                    MIJ includes a case. MIA comes with a gig bag.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Charvel's Guitar Repair didn't make necks at all during Wayne's ownership, and there is debate whether he made any bodies either. Parts were bought in from Boogie Bodies (Warmoth). When Grover bought (bought - not stole - Wayne didn't "lose" anything - he sold it!) - he still used Boogie Body necks on the first logo'd Charvel guitars. Some time later, they began building their own necks.

It is unclear if there were any complete guitars built by Wayne - and even if there were, they are not considered San Dimas Charvel guitars.
                      That's how I always understood it... Actually I think there was a long-ass write-up on it in Guitar Player or something of the sort back in the day. I was always under the impression that Wayne did paint and assembly of other people's parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        I checked out some MIJ Pro Mods this passed weekend. I wasn't that impressed. The fret work was better - all of the frets were very nicely polished and the ends rounded, but they must have gone nuts with the files as the edge of the fretboard was "scalloped" in places. Odd. FWIW - the setups were crap too - way high action, banjo-sounding and the Floyds were cocked back.

I got a Japan-made ProMod neck from that ReliableFender on Ebay (didn't look close enough - thought it was a USA at a decent price for a change ) and bolted it onto my Candy Green SoCal body (the one whose neck was the first one to go on Ebay ).

I have to say, I like the Japan-made neck better.

As for the store setup, that's a factory setup which is an average of the ideals at each end of the spectrum. It's a starting point for each player to tailor to their liking - raise it up or drop it down. Stores cannot and should not set up every guitar for super low shredding any more than they should set it up for EVH's preferred mile-high action or SRV using 13s.

I've got mine set up for ultra-low action and it's smooth as silk, so there's no problem getting it to shred.

Everyone cried for USA-built Strathead Charvels and you got them. Then everyone cried for Japan-built Charvels and you got them, but lost the USA models.
                        And EVERYONE should be aware that J/C are NOT going back to making USA-quality guitars in Japan and pricing them at half the USA MSRP AND making the same model in a USA counterpart, so shut the fuck up about "I want this" and "I want that", because what you ultimately want is a superbly crafted guitar without paying for it.

No one here has the right to bitch because you've all gotten exactly the Charvels you wanted.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          No one here has the right to bitch because you've all gotten exactly the Charvels you wanted.
                          No, I haven't. I'm still waiting on a Strathead with the truss rod adjustment at the nut... and 24 frets would be nice on it, too!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            No, I haven't. I'm still waiting on a Strathead with the truss rod adjustment at the nut... and 24 frets would be nice on it, too!
                            Musickraft for you then toejam............................
                            Charvel CST 060 1992
                            Charvel CST 070 1992
                            Charvel CDS 090 1993
                            Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
                            Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                            Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
                            Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
                            Duesenberg 49er 2012
                            Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                            Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
                            History TH-LS Limited 2009
                            History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              As for the store setup, that's a factory setup which is an average of the ideals at each end of the spectrum. It's a starting point for each player to tailor to their liking - raise it up or drop it down. Stores cannot and should not set up every guitar for super low shredding any more than they should set it up for EVH's preferred mile-high action or SRV using 13s.
                              No, but the truss rod should be adjusted correctly with slight or no relief and the Floyd should be parallel or slightly angled up in line with the angle of the neck. Anyway - I said FWIW - clearly what was meant was that the setup had something to do with my lack of excitement about the Charvel ImPortMods that I played.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

If we knew the absolute truth its probably FMIC anyway. Bionic "is" Stratosphere. Not saying that he is, but I damned sure wouldn't be surprised if it was. Either that or the GC parts warehouse.

it's where all the guitars that the 15 year olds destroy in the store go to be resold.
                                Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                                98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                                X