Just Heard The New Metallica Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
    Metallica starting going downhill when they kicked Mustaine out for being too metal.
    +1

Metallica only came out with one album of material that wasn't directly collaborated with Mustaine, and that was Master of Puppets. It went downhill from there.

But it's a good thing Mustaine got kicked out... Kirk Hammet left Exodus to join Metallica.

Thank god Bonded by Blood was NOT recorded with Hammster on guitars.
    Last edited by xenophobe; 02-25-2007, 05:46 AM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

:ROTF: :ROTF: OK listen about Metallica,(older members help me out here) before the days of MTV and cds we bought albums and Import albums that had to be ordered they took forever.The only way you hear that band was at a show or you listened yourself. They were anti radio play and a video forget it They made 3 great albums and 2 good ones then Napster well they can just go F**k themselves I wouldnt buy or listen to any of there shit.Maybe James and Lars willfight to the death UFC style then Ill watch
      85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

Originally posted by jonipop View Post
        :ROTF: :ROTF: OK listen about Metallica,(older members help me out here) before the days of MTV and cds we bought albums and Import albums that had to be ordered they took forever.The only way you hear that band was at a show or you listened yourself. They were anti radio play and a video forget it They made 3 great albums and 2 good ones then Napster well they can just go F**k themselves I wouldnt buy or listen to any of there shit.Maybe James and Lars willfight to the death UFC style then Ill watch

LOL i have only seen guys like you on tv, the ones that through their cd out of the window cause one of the band mambers did somethign wrong.LMAO

Damn sorry i did'nt want to laugh at you , actually you made me rethink some of the things , their fight agaisnt napster was really lame , i hate metallica too , they suck infact i will smash all metallicas cd that i have.....jk.

Comment

Originally posted by JC_Denton View Post
          I just cant believe it I and Endrik are the only ones here that like Black album.
          I like it. Through The Never and The Struggle Within are the best songs, though.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I like it. Through The Never and The Struggle Within are the best songs, though.
            I like some of the songs on there. Definatly not Enter Sandman though.
            Really, the slower songs ont hat album are better along with Sad But True and Of Wolf and Man
            "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
            Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
            Dimebag Darrell
            Chuck Schuldiner
            Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by JC_Denton View Post
              I just cant believe it I and Endrik are the only ones here that like Black album.
              Add one more to that list... TBA is one of my favorite albums of all time. The production was amazing, and that album goes to show you that you do NOT have to be fast to be heavy. TBA had some powerful, crushing riffs, strong vocals, good solos... the drum work left a little to be desired. TBA was the first time since Cliff died that they all worked together as a band... and I think it was fucking awesome.

After that though... ugh. The "Loads" were just that... now, from a strictly musical standpoint, they were good, origonal albums. But from a Metallica standpoint, they were VERY sub-par. I dont even think I need to mention St. Anger... everything has already been said about that.

As for this new song, I cant really tell much of a difference between it and St. Anger save for better production. James still has his shitty ass tone and downtuned, Kirk... who? Lars is TRYING to play something interesting... and Rob is just a drone doing what hes told and acting like a monkey while doing it.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

no I like them I say creeping death was my fav but like all good things They must come to an end:ROTF:
                85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

Originally posted by jonipop View Post
                  OK listen about Metallica,(older members help me out here) before the days of MTV and cds we bought albums and Import albums that had to be ordered they took forever.The only way you hear that band was at a show or you listened yourself.
                  Actually if you lived in LA you heard them on the radio all the time starting around 1984 (The Mighty METal Hour) and of course by 1986 they were all over the first metal radio station, KNAC.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    you do NOT have to be fast to be heavy.
                    People have different opinions what "heavy" is. Some say that "heavy" sounds evil or something but I've always thought that heavy is something that sounds MASSIVE. Now talking from my point of view, the slower the music is the heavier it sounds. It has more "mass" in it. It's simple physics. If you let the notes ring and sustain more you got more "mass". It's sounds amazingly powerfull. Black Sabbath sounded very heavy/massive because they weren't playing fast. They pioneered HEAVY metal, so I think heavy metal has never been about how fast you are.

These days a lot of metal bands play super fast riffs and use a lot of blastbeats and whatnot. They indeed sound fucking evil and loud but IMO there's a lot off mass/heaviness missing in those bands. I've never liked how bands are overusing double bass drumming because a)it takes all the groove away b)the kick drums don't "ring" and don't have a lot of "mass".

It's pretty bad when these days many bands are using only triggers and the kick drums' samples have ridiculously high pitch that the kick drum doesn't sound like a kick drum but more like a snare. It's a good way to make the kicks loud in the mix but it looses the point of a kick drum wich is to deliver the ultra low end bottom and foundation wich makes the whole band sound full and massive. I like half and quater note shuffle feel on the kick drum, so it has the neccessary sustain and space between the hits. If you listen to Led Zeppelin, there weren't any triggers and shit and Bonzo played with shuffle feel. Jimmy Page used many mics and many room mics on Bonzo's kick drum. Everytime Bonzo hits a kick drum, it sounds like a nuclear explosion "BOOOOOM". Not this is what I call HEAVY.

Bob Rock did the same thing. He used about 40-50 mics on a drumset and told Lars to lay down the groov. They recorded many many takes and later chose wich one sounded the best for the specific song.
                    He also told Jason to play along with the drums not with the guitars. Playing along with the guitars very fastly doesn't bring out the real power. If the bass is playing along the durms then it holds the groove and makes the whole band sound massive as hell. Bass definetly needs to sustain. When you press very quickly the low notes on a concert piano it sounds like a fart but If you hold the note a bit it sounds brutal. It's all about the physics and dynamics.
                    That's why Black Album sounds fucking heavy and massive.
                    Bob did the same thing with Motley Crue, if you listen to their 1994 self titeled album it sounds even heavier than the black album.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                      +1

Metallica only came out with one album of material that wasn't directly collaborated with Mustaine, and that was Master of Puppets. It went downhill from there.

But it's a good thing Mustaine got kicked out... Kirk Hammet left Exodus to join Metallica.

Thank god Bonded by Blood was NOT recorded with Hammster on guitars.
                      Yes, but even Master of Puppets has a bit of Dave's leftover flavor....and also, it's the last of the Cliff Burton ERA. Justice and Black have a high point or 2, but nothing really unbelievable. I gave up hope on Metallica getting their shit right after the stupid movie.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

• Word to everything Endrik said. Greatest example of what he is saying is some of the classical composers. Wagner in particular. Wagner was HEAVY. It was all about power. The one thing that probably might make more sense to you death metal fans is if you compare say Nile with Demonoid. I have both but I can't get excited about the Nile one because as technically brilliant as it is. Its always on full on blast mode. Demonoid however is much more melodic and groove oriented, its why alot of Death metal bothered me, its why I am such a big fan of later Death albums (their last in particular is quite similar to the Demonoid CD in that its very melodic)

Comment

• sorry? We're comparing Neil Diamond to who...?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

• I just heard for the first time yesterday a cover of the theme to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, that Metallica has done as a tribute to the guy that wrote a whole bunch of music for movies. (Marconi or something)

It was a neat idea, but I don't think they exicuted it as well as it could have been.

J.

Comment

• MORRICONE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennio_Morricone
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                                Yes, but even Master of Puppets has a bit of Dave's leftover flavor....and also, it's the last of the Cliff Burton ERA. Justice and Black have a high point or 2, but nothing really unbelievable. I gave up hope on Metallica getting their shit right after the stupid movie.
                                At the time Justice was the world's most overproduced album... I never really cared for it, and Black... eeew...

lol
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X