Zakk talks about Rolling Stone Guitar List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zakk talks about Rolling Stone Guitar List

He sounds a bit like Ed Roman. When I first heard him on the No More Tears, having bought Blizzard and Diary before, I thought of him as a surrogate replacement for Randy. I was wrong, to an extent. HE is no match for Randy musically. Maybe he realises it and thus worships him.
    And I would get pissed off too, because look: musicians make records, they sweat, they produce, they give birth to the music - and then some sort of gay fashion magazine does not include them in the list, but instead puts in all sorts of punkheads and playboys in there, so that when a teenage kid looks there, he/she wouldn't buy a Rock'n'Roll CD, because the guitarsists aren't on the list, but would buy a popular one. It's all about the money. Where do you think such a bastardisation of Rock ( I mean Rock) comes from?They just want to mass produce music and get rid of rivals. So they poor shit on Rock. They call us 80's metalheads. So what? I just can't believe to waht extent the society is filled with junk music. It's like eating a Bic MAc, instead of a proper German stake with red wine or something.
    Sorry for a long rant. I am new here, so I'm letting you know who I am.

Comment

I agree with Zakk. especailly as far as the list. Look at itlike this. RS is a magazine that the general public reads. How many people of the general non guitar playing public have heard of Alexi Laiho? Let along Alex Scolnick. Shit ive even heard guitar players at work say "who?" when i mention John Petrucci. Im like "you know the guitar player in Dream Theater?"
      The way I see the Randy comments Zakk made is he means he holds Randy in highest reguards and has to fill Randy's shoes but still retain his own identity in the song. Yes Randy was the best thing to happen to Ozzy and the music of that time shows it. Zakk is probably the next best thing to it. I don't think he is Randy but maybe as good as Randy in his own way. Although he may not think so in his some what hummble deminer.
      Zakk is the voice of reason in alot of situations not that I always agree with him but I do on this. He does to keep the other musicain slams down to a dull roar though.
      Gil

Comment

..rolling stone has the power to inform the ignorant public who people like alexi Laiho are though. They should do these lists after they do some actual research. If Alexi was on a list like that...they would explode..and metal would rule the universe.

Comment

...I've met Zakk, an he struck me as a cool guy (just don't piss him off!). I have to agree with him though, that list pissed me off! David Fricke is an arrogant moron who thinks Kurt Cobain was God's gift to guitar(and music for that matter). I repect Cobain as a songwriter, but he surely wasn't blowing anyone's doors off on guitar. Eddie and Randy's rankings were a travesty. Didn't Fricke even omit Charlie Christian, for chrissakes?

Comment

all those polls are based on popularity ...not talent.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

someone should post some cheesy pics of zakk wylde in the 80's when he had the tight spandex and big hair smiling his ass off

Comment

I like that Zakk speaks his mind and doesn't sugar coat anything.

The list is just that, a popularity contest and nothing to do with talent of the guitarist.

I like the fact that Zakk always speaks highly of Randy Rhoads and doesn't forget where he came from or who influenced. I don't think he comes off as pompous or an egomaniac....he's rude and crude that's for sure.

As far as him mentioning that he has to play Randy Rhoads live....in all due respect...there are a million people ( a few on this board too) who can play Randy probably better than Zakk does so that isn't that big of an accomplishment. Copying someone is one thing, creating something of equal value is another...
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by stsk:
                  someone should post some cheesy pics of zakk wylde in the 80's when he had the tight spandex and big hair smiling his ass off
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Already been done; use the search function, newbie. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Or just go here:
                    http://www.metal-sludge.com/ExposedZakk.htm

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Zakk looked like RR Jr. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BlizzardOfOzz:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StukaJU87:
                        If you wanna send Zakk into a tizzy, have him compare BLS disc sales to FF sales. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He would just say the difference is that women & children buy FF. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He could say that, but he'd be pumping sunshine up your ass.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:

As far as him mentioning that he has to play Randy Rhoads live....in all due respect...there are a million people ( a few on this board too) who can play Randy probably better than Zakk does so that isn't that big of an accomplishment. Copying someone is one thing, creating something of equal value is another...
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True a lot of people can play Randy's stuff just as good as Zakk, but how many can do it with the same kind of stage presence Zakk does it with?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                            ...there are a million people ( a few on this board too) who can play Randy probably better than Zakk does
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A *million* ?

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                              ...there are a million people ( a few on this board too) who can play Randy probably better than Zakk does
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A *million* ?

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no its true...I have all the data to back it up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ok....a major exaggeration but you get my point
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X