Zakk talks about Rolling Stone Guitar List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zakk talks about Rolling Stone Guitar List

Zakk hit the nail on the head about the RS list, but that didn't take a nuclear physicist to figure out. RS is in the same camp as Tiger Beat, not the camp of
    guitar mags.

Zakk ranted that same rant about playing Randy's stuff when Dave Grohl was asked to write a song for Ozzy. In that case I
    think it's sour grapes. Zakk's a good guitarist, but apparently the label, or Ozzy or Sharon, don't think he's a great writer. Maybe that's why there were rumors that he'd been fired from Ozzy a while back - to remind him that he CAN be fired. Also, just because he hasn't heard Grohl play a Randy solo, doesn't necessarily mean he can't. We didn't know he could play guitar at all when he was in Nirvana, and since his musical money trail is punk, he may not want it known if he can solo. Someone here posted that they met Jack White of White Stripes at a music stoe, and that he was a very good guitarist. You wouldn't know it from The White Stripes' music though,
    would you?
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rolling Stone SUCKS donkey D*ck [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Would someone go over there and light a F*cking match!!!
      1990 Jackson Professional
      1992 Dean ML
      2004 Epiphone Flying V
      2005 Epiphone Dot
      2009 Fender Stratocaster
      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
      2006 Fender P Bass
      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
      Custom Pedalboard
      ADA MP1
      ADA FX2
      Tascam 2488

Comment

lerx:
        Zakk ranted that same rant about playing Randy's stuff when Dave Grohl was asked to write a song for Ozzy.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember reading that. He said it pissed him off that he had to play the stuff that Grohl wrote. He even went so far as to call the Foo Fighters a "girls band". I think Zakk is a great guitar player and probably way better then Dave Grohl, but he needs to tone down his flaming of other musicians a bit. For the record, (as I've stated before) I dig the Foo Fighters. Sure, they're not metal, but they do rock.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Stuka - I agree. Zakk spends WAY too much time bashing other guitar players. He's a great player himself, but he needs to cork it. I'm sick of hearing what he has to say.

As for RS... who cares?? I don't know why everyone is getting bent out of shape. I mean, who's dumb enough to go to Rolling Stone for rock information anyway? They're a fashion magazine. Complaining that Rolling Stone doesn't know what they're talking about when they rank guitar players is like complaining that Modern Bride doesn't know enough about Harley Fatboys.

Rolling Stones and rock music are like apples and oranges. No one should have taken that stupid list seriously in the first place.

Comment

That guy who fronts the "girl band" has made a record with Lemmy and Wino...I like BLS's music, but for me, it ends there with Zakk.

Comment

Lerx -

Grohl is a local 'round here, and used to frequent Veneman's. Nice guy, good writer, but the only instrument that the word "great" and his name will ever be near are drums.

He's a, well, awful guitar player. He knows this. He's a fantastic drummer - if you have any doubts, look up what he did in Scream. He won't be playing any Randy solos anytime soon, though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I agree. Dave is as good as Tommy Lee on guitar. They should both stick to drums and leave the guitar playing to guitar players. Dave is one prolific (spell check) mutha though.. He must have a Brinks truck back up to his mansion twice a day to unload cash.

Comment

haha, true about dave's guitar playing I guess, but, they have Chris Shiflett for axe duties, and Jake Jackson (as his alias), he can rip.

but I respect grohl a lot more than zakk. I think zakk's cool, in a tough-ass, "I can fucking say whatever the fuck I fucking want to, because no one can fucking touch my Irish-german Ass.", kind of way.

but grohl's an awesome guy, and a good performer. I think he's bad-ass, and a lot of others do, including brian may. who can rip zakk to shreds [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , IMHO.

but to be honest, I think most guys took it as a joke anyways. its shit, its stupid, its the rolling stone. I wouldn;'t worry too much about it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . my .02cents.

Comment

If you wanna send Zakk into a tizzy, have him compare BLS disc sales to FF sales. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I haven't read everything but I agree that the list is some kind of a deceit.

There's Chuck Schuldiner missing on that list IMHO. He is, for me, one of the greatest guitarists I've ever heard and saw.

Hey, let me ask you another question. What does make Zakk Wylde such a special guitarist for you? For me, nothing. Well, he's tallented but he could show more than playing three different riffs in single song. Little more variations, some tempo changes... I like that.
                      He may look huge but his sound isn't that huge...

I'm not about to offend someone but there are more tallented and skilled guitarist. Not just above mentioned Chuck, even Alexi Laiho, Timo Tolkki, etc.

Comment

I did my own list ...it's the only list that matters ...as far as guitarist go... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by BlizzardOfOzz:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StukaJU87:
                          If you wanna send Zakk into a tizzy, have him compare BLS disc sales to FF sales. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He would just say the difference is that women & children buy FF. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He would just say the difference is that women & children buy FF.

Comment

Zakk has an opinion that has repeated use of the words "fuck," "shit," and "fucking shit"......there's a surprise. I hate to say it, but his bashing of everything is starting to turn into a broken record.

He does have a lot of valid points though. That list was a joke, and was more about what guitarists mindless MTV sheep like.

Comment

Yeah He sounds just like someone I fuckin' know ...MTV is shit for shit people ...Fuck 'em... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X