Immortal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Immortal

have you heard Grimfist yet? IMmortal's drummer. they are fuckin awesome. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think there are different black metal types today. One is the more known type and bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, new Immortal (from At the Heart...) belong to it. Another one is the older raw black metal, played by Mayhem or Darkthrone. Then there is the very fast stuff like Dark Funeral and Marduk.

Immortal wasn't the only band shifting those types. Gorgoroth did that too. Up until Destroyer they were well respected in the underground and made raw black metal. I remember reading an interview shortly after Destroyer was released and asked about the "shitty" sound of Destroyer one guy from Gorgoroth said that this is their sound and they never will change it.
      Well and of course they changed it, simply because their label was Nuclear Blast. Incipit Satan had a very clear and tight production and asked again in an interview the guy from Gorgoroth said that they always wanted a great sound on their record [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
      That's one reason why i hate Nuclear Blast. They were such a cool small death metal label back in the days. But now only money matters and they change every band in order to make more money with them.
      Oh and another "nice" example of nuclear blast. Anybody here remembers the band Raise Hell ? A very young swedish band that got signed by Nuclear Blast. That was some time after Jon from Dissection went into jail. Since the style of Raise Hell was quite in the vein of Dissection Nuclear Blast did everything to make sure that every metal head should think that Raise Hell are the true successor of Dissection. Seemed like this plan didn't happen as much as NB liked because when they signed Destruction and all this Trash Metal revival began (also with Kreator going back to their roots) Raise Hell released their second album and it was 100% trash metal like Destruction. Nothing remained from their first album. NB once again at using a band to make money. Seemed like the Dissection train didn't take Raise Hell with it so they changed their plans and made Raise Hell a Destruction clone. God i hate Nuclear Blast [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Uh sorry for the little off-topic rambling [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Getting a bit back on the black metal topic. I am wondering if i am the only one who thinks that todays black metal band mostly suck ? I mean at the beginning of the 90's there were some great bands. Satyricon, Immortal, Emperor, Darkthrone, to some degree Mayhem were really cool but today there are so many shitty black metal bands it's not even funny. There are surely some great black metal bands even today but i really don't want to listen to 100 shitty bands to find one cool one.
      If i want to listen to some black metal today i usually take one of the old classics.
      I can't stand all those nazi black metal bands and other idiots like Nargaroth who only want to have a evil image and are nothing worth as musicians.

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death:
        I am wondering if i am the only one who thinks that todays black metal band mostly suck ?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, you're not. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The popularity of crap like DB and CoF gives BM a bad name. That stuff isn't BM by any stretch of the imagination, just a bunch of fags playing dress-up like Marilyn Manson. On the other side of the coin you have all these wannabe kids who think a heshy mix with no chops or talent and a horrible guitar sound makes it "necro" and "kvlt". Which also gives BM a bad name. The NS trend also bugs me, let's leave the politics to the hardcore punk where it belongs.

Comment

Just because you don't consider dimmu or CoF to be "true black metal" doesn't mean they aren't good.

Comment

Since I'm not longer in contact with Immortal (they split up) I'll answer to the point which I know

As for Abbath`s guitar, I DOUBT that`s a Jackson. I think that guitar belonged to Demonaz.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Demonaz had Ibanez Explorer. At that time Abbath had BC Rich bass.

Abbath did use Jackson guitar. It was some imported KV w/ two humbuckers, dot inlays, tone and volume knob and toggle switch. He used this guitar from At the Heart of Winter (1998) till the middle of 2000. Then he grabbed some unknown guitar to me with Rhoads shape. It had shark inlays but Jackson had dots.

horn666, I see you're a real metal expert. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I love black metal... Living Colour are my all-time favourite band. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                Just because you don't consider dimmu or CoF to be "true black metal" doesn't mean they aren't good.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not arguing that point, they're good at what they do. IMO, what they do isn't metal.

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                I love black metal... Living Colour are my all-time favourite band. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ROFLMAO!!!

Comment

if they're not metal what are they? IYO?

If the only thing you consider metal is stuff like Satyricon....you may want to think about broadening yoru horizons.

It is okay that there are metal bands you don't like....just becuase you think they suck doesn't mean they're not metal.

the categories are all dumb anyway. kickass and total shit is what I organize the metal bands into.

dimmu kicks ass as does Darkthrone, and emperor.

total shit band would be...enthroned IMO. but I've only heard one album of there's and it had some really shitty live stuff on it.

Comment

Drip don't listen to that testicle tumor...

COF abd DB is Black Metal...

Black Metal doesn't have to suck to be Black metal... like this fag thinks

he is but a nodule on my beanbag and doesn't know shit..

Nunslaughter...yeah I personaly know those guys..jeez [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ..and I taught Geno of Decrepit to play bass as well....and they suck too..

Metal Mitch sounds like a Metal B-itch...

Metal Mitch are you part of the famous "metal family" ...I know a Metal mike , Metal Joe , Metal Bobby , Metal Fred....

OH yeah BTW my name is Bill Z ..."Bill Z Bub" by friends (I'm a known Satanist)...not "Bill Zebub" that fag from that shit mag that folded years ago.... [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

You Metal Tool

Before you call ass on me ...do your homework first ...before you get your feelings hurt ...like now...fucker... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let's fuckin' see ..to be Black Metal ...you must paint for face white like Al friggin' Jolson , You have to have a logo nobody can read , Horrible production and solos and writing that suck....No thank you ..I'll take my superior Black Metal ...Emperor,COF,DB,OMC,Naglfar ..etc

If you think bands like Immortal and Nunslauger are the shit ...well your opinion means "shit" to me...and I don't confer with shit...

Bill Z Bub...

PS ...suck me..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Blizzard beasts must have the best use of keys ever - i.e. not a lot, really subtle. I like bands like DB and COF, but i'd say that Black metal as it was has pretty much died out, these bands still have black metal roots (or death metal/grind in COF's case), but the scene's totally moved on as it always does. btw if noone minds a shameless plug, and you like black thrash without keys (or bass!) try some of this-
                      Achren- Forgotten King
                      Achren - Fury of the Northmen

Achren Web

Comment

oh aye, and no way do Enthroned suck. heheheh.

Comment

Well OK then...
                          But I saw Immortal live not long ago ...it was not good ...and that's being very kind. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i've never seen them live, but i'm not surprised. i don't know why but extreme bands like that rarely sound good live, always fizzy guitar sounds and mountainous drum sounds...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:

Let's fuckin' see ..to be Black Metal ...you must paint for face white like Al friggin' Jolson , You have to have a logo nobody can read , Horrible production and solos and writing that suck....No thank you ..I'll take my superior Black Metal ...Emperor,COF,DB,OMC,Naglfar ..etc
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well yes this was really what Black Metal was all about. When all those bands in the early 90's began to play that music it was exactly this way.
                              If you ever listened to the Wrath of the Tyrant demo compilation from Emperor you will see that they also were like this. Yes they developed to what they are today (or in Emperor's case what they were til they broke up) but their roots and also the roots of bands like DB were in all this old and shitty sounding raw black metal.
                              Now i need to say that i am not one of those elite thinking black metal idiots. I freely admit that i like DB, even more the new stuff (to be honest i don't like for all tid and stormblast that much). Cradle isn't my taste but because of the music not because they are regarded as non black metal.

I think that Bands like Dimmu and Cradle are still black metal. But not the black metal like all those bands played in the early days. I mean it's the same with Death Metal, there are also different kinds of this style. You have the very brutal stuff like Disgorge and Severe Torture and on the other hand the progressive and technical stuff like Nocturnus and newer Death. They sound quite different but you can spot the things they have in common. Like with black metal. Bands like Dimmu also have quite some black metal elements left in their music but they also have changed quite a bit. It's not black metal like Darkthrone but a different black metal.

That's what i think about this topic.

Flo
                              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Very Good Flo ...I absolutely agree sir.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I am aware of it's roots ..but I'm also aware that it has evolved into a well oiled metal machine ...so much it's almost mainstream..

Satan going mainstream can't be a bad thing ....well not to me anyways!!

I love great musicianship PERIOD ...I don't care if it's classical , Neo Classical , Black , Death , or Power metal....Good is good..

Fuck evil for evil sake ....If it sucks it sucks ...and I can honestly say I could write better and perform better than anything Immortal has done ...from what I heard ..that is no lie ...Their riffs are generic and juvenile..

That's why I like DB , COF and such ...those guys are good musicians ...and I would have a hell of a time duplicating what they created because it is musically challenging ...and that's what I love most about metal of all genres...a good ass kickin' and a challenge..not juvenile slop that my fucking stupid moron drummer can write...ain't that the truth.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X