This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angry Fans Leave Pearl Jam Concert After Anti-Bush Display

First of all, on your math lesson, there IS such a thing as 110%. If I bought a guitar for $100 and sold it for $110, I would have sold it for 110% of my cash outlay. And I used that as a figure of speech, sorry if I confused anyone. Secondly, yes, we ARE pointing weapons at civilians, have you not seen the news? Have you not seen civilains face down on the ground while our military search them? I've done it. I have had my weapon pointed at people while they were serached. I am not saying this is the wrong thing to do, under the circumstances for the safety of our troops those people DO need to be searched. But believe that anyone with a gun to their head will say whatever it is that they think you want them to say. If I was sitting behind you with my .45 pointed at your head, I bet you would write a post that totally agrees with me. Not that I would EVER do a thing like that, nor am I threatening you personally in any way, but the analogy applies. For their own saftey the US Marines have had to make some judgement calls in which innocent civilains were hurt. I believe that in most cases they made the right decisions in those situations. There have been Iraqi soldiers dressed as civilains that have attacked our troops. If I were there right now, I would be keeping a most watchful eye on everyone as well. I would display my rifle to civilians as well. But I would not think that they really liked me just because they didn't want me to shoot them. As for my combat experience, our military undergoes many operations that you do not see in the news, or do not pay attenetion to. I cannot disclose where I have been or what I have done, because as far as I know that information is still classified, and until I get a letter from the DOD telling me it's OK to talk about it, that is as much as I will say.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAFFERTY:
      Lerx,

Isn't your pedantry getting you down yet? 110% is an expression. It's not a lie, it's an emphatic statement. Is this how you get by intellectually, wholly dependant on the technical?

Sean.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, Sean, "technically", it is untrue.
      Since truth seems to mean nothing to you,
      I can see why you wouldn't be concerned.
      It's not just emphatic, it's symptomatic
      of society's increasing penchant for self-aggrandizement at the expense of truth. "You're behind 'em 100%? Well, I'M behind 'em 110%, so THERE!" Since 100% is "all" of something, saying you have "more than all" is inherently untrue. It's only used to try to say one
      is more dedicated than others, and as such is a putdown of those others. Sort
      of like what you do in every post.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

And if YOU read the oath that we take when we join the armed services it says "to DEFEND our nation from all enemies, both foreign and domestic". DEFEND being the key word. In this war we are defending nothing. Saddam Hussein has never killed one non-combatant US citizen. Whatever WMD he owns, we freakin' sold him.

Comment

more bands should do this [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Lerx,

If you asked Bush right now, or any US general, what they thought the purpose of the Army, Navy or Air Force was for, they would never reply; 'To wage war'. You questioned a respected JCFer, an ex marine, how he could have signed up and served his country without believing in war. You really do think this is the way it works. Further to this, you attempted to trivialise what this ex marine was doing at the time of his service by pointing out that what he had to do was nothing compared to now.

Good people enrol to serve and defend their country, not to 'wage war'. Oppressive nations wage war, progressive nations seek to liberate and defend human rights.

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
              First of all, on your math lesson, there IS such a thing as 110%. If I bought a guitar for $100 and sold it for $110, I would have sold it for 110% of my cash outlay. And I used that as a figure of speech, sorry if I confused anyone. Secondly, yes, we ARE pointing weapons at civilians, have you not seen the news?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So is your support wholesale, retail, or
              dealer cost? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I understand the use
              in the way you're describing, but it doesn't apply in the type of rhetoric you
              are using. It's just self-aggrandizement.

Also if you actually read my post, I DID
              say our troops were pointing guns at civilians, and said why. I don't know
              why you had to post that entire part of my post in paraphrase when I'd already
              spelled it out.

As for the oath to defend, what the nation's interests are, and what defense
              constitutes, is for your commanders, including the President, to decide - not
              you as the enlisted man. I'm sure you are aware of the threats posed by the Saddam regime but choose to ignore them so you can wax prosaic against Bush.

AS for the secrecy/classified thing, that
              sounds disingenous, but whatever. Thanks
              for protecting Camp Pendleton from bands
              of roving illegal immigrants then.

Remember, serving in the military doesn't give you more rights or say than anybody else. That kind of military is typical of the criminals we're fighting in Iraq now, or of the Praetorian Guard of Rome,
              who started protecting Emperors and ended
              killing them and choosing their own.

[ April 04, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx,

I couldn't honestly say that I know the 'truth'. But I would consider myself part of society, the same 'self aggrandizing' society that you seem to have successfully divorced yourself from.

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAFFERTY:
                  Lerx,

If you asked Bush right now, or any US general, what they thought the purpose of the Army, Navy or Air Force was for, they would never reply; 'To wage war'. You questioned a respected JCFer, an ex marine, how he could have signed up and served his country without believing in war. You really do think this is the way it works. Further to this, you attempted to trivialise what this ex marine was doing at the time of his service by pointing out that what he had to do was nothing compared to now.

Good people enrol to serve and defend their country, not to 'wage war'. Oppressive nations wage war, progressive nations seek to liberate and defend human rights.

Sean.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sean,

Ace implied he knew firsthand that war is hell. I asked him if he had combat experience, that's all. If YOU think it
                  trivializes his service if he DIDN'T see
                  combat, then you argue for my point.

In today's pathetic politically correct
                  environment, government officials don't dare suggest that a military is there to wage war. One has to wage war to liberate oppressed people, since dictators rarely say, "Oh dear, you're right! I'm BAD! I'll leave now!!"

Your pomposity is exceeded only by your
                  verbal evocation of the spirit of Liberace!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If you question my integrity as a US Marine, you will seriously piss me off real fast. I have made no personal attacks on you, or accused you of lying. If you think that I have never seen war firsthand, you are wrong. I can tell you that much.

Comment

And calling other JCFers gay is NOT very cool, no matter how many big words you try and use.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        If you question my integrity as a US Marine, you will seriously piss me off real fast. I have made no personal attacks on you, or accused you of lying. If you think that I have never seen war firsthand, you are wrong. I can tell you that much.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, better pissed off than pissed on [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That's all you had to say in the first place. The classified thing I understand
                        and knew you could say as much as you just did. Why beat around the bush? Just say it; now you did.

Why is asking you if you've seen combat a personal attack of calling you a liar? I didn't see war, but believed my father. You could have believed YOUR father, or a buddy, or whatever. I just asked a question.

I'm curious about another of your statements, and not saying you're lying, but, you really mean to say that we sold Saddam his chemical and biological weapons? I know you can't mean his nuclear program because it's well known the French did that. You really are saying for the record that the USA sold
                        chemical and biological weapons to Saddam
                        Hussein?

[ April 04, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx,

Your post definately ponders what our distinguished ex marine was doing at the time of his service with contrast to now. Were you trying to strengthen your argument?

Do you, by any chance, have any record of your previous posts? If so, re-read them please, as a favour to me, then perhaps we'll have a chat about pomposity.

Sean.

Comment

Yes, we sold Saddam Hussein a good protion of his weapons to fight Iran. And if you were to trivialize my service to our nation in a bar, let's just say that you would gain a little combat experience of your own.

Comment

And if Saddam Hussein DID plan on using chemical weapons on ANYBODY, don't you think now would be a good time? When we are pounding in his front door? If he is even still alive.

Comment

Combat experience? Is this what matters to you most? Everyone serving in the forces contributes to your countries defence and standing...and you want to know who's been in combat...shame on you.

Sean.

Comment

Working...
                                X