This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angry Fans Leave Pearl Jam Concert After Anti-Bush Display

While I am a supporter of the President, I do respect the opinions of those who disagree--that's why we're Americans. But this is over the line--I wonder if Vedder would have respected my 'freedom of speech' had I done such a thing to a Clinton mask onstage? He, like many leftists, would probably have called it "hate speech."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Eddie Vedder has never spoken out against your freedom of speach, and do what you want with a Clinton mask, and I am sure he will not care. However, YOU are the one who seems to be angered by his use of his freedom of speach. Wouldn't you consider the majority of this thread to be "hate speach" towards Eddie Vedder, leftists and Pearl Jam? The idea of freedom of speach is that it IS over the line. If there were "lines" that we could not cross when expressing ourselves, would we truly be free?

Comment

What it boils down to is the quotes that are put in that article. He makes no sense at all. STabbing a Bush mask on his mic stand...and then saying
      "We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes non-support," he said. "We love them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy .... Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions"

Vedder is a retard, I'm all for people speaking their opinions, but he actually thinks people give a crap what he has to say. And we obviously don't. He can stab and burn pictures of Bush all he wants in his basement. He doesn't need to ruin a concert by doign it on stage. What a jackass

Comment

I totally agree with what Eddie Vedder had to say. I support our troops 110%, and I have been one of them. I want them to come home safely, and right away. Jacka$$es in the White House have sent them over there for no good reason. Yes, Saddam is an a$$hole, but are we not? We're supposedly there to "liberate" them, but is that what they want? If it is, why are they fighting against us? Yes, some of them throw their arms up and welcome us, but if somebody was pointing an M1 Abrams at your house and M16's at your family, and asked you whose side you were on, you can bet your butt you'd smile and wave at them too. I think there are quite a few people out there that just want bloodshed. All this talk of "Nuke Baghdad" and such, does that really get us anywhere? Or have most Americans just seen too many Rambo movies? War IS hell. For both sides. And pictures on television cannot do it justice at all. Until you feel in your chest the shockwave coming off a 500 lb bomb, or put your hands on a dead bodie, war is no more real to you than Dharma and Greg on the next channel on television.

Comment

*dead body

Comment

Eddie Vedder is a average singer in a very average
            band which sells primarily on its past endevors.
            Their music on the first two albums was good but
            I beleive after that just filler type material.
            Also a sloppy sounding live band the two times I
            saw them. Just another Rich out of touch singer
            trying too boost his carreer and ego.

Ric

[ April 04, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Ric1983 ]

Comment

I remember years ago going down to the local firehall on election day to vote.(Bush/Clinton election) There were these 2 scraggly kids outside eyeballing me as I was walking out. One of them stopped me and asked me for a light. So I handed him my lighter, and while he's lighting a cigarette he says "So man, did ya vote for Clinton?" "F$ck no", I say "I voted for Bush". The kid says "Aw man, you should have voted for Clintion. Eddie Vedder says Vote for Clintion." And his buddy chimes in "Yeah yeah, Eddie Vedder says real Pearl Jam fans should vote for Clinton". So I took my lighter back and told them I wasn't a Pearl Jam fan. Just goes to show you what some idiots will do just because some average-voiced schmoe tells them to. Good thing Eddie Vedder didn't say jump off a bridge.

[ April 04, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Subvamp ]

Comment

If Eddie Vedder was trying to boost his career, pissing his fans off would not be a smart move. I am positive that is not why e did what he did. As for people voting just because "that's what Eddie Vedder says", that is just ignorant as well, I totally agree.

Comment

Ace, just so you know...due to the fact that you speak from experience makes people respect your opinion ten fold compared to Vedder's. He is a rich jackass, who doesn't know what he's talking about. You on the other hand do.

Vedder is an idiot...he doesn't know what's going on.

I was anti-war before it started....now I"m 'let's finish what we started" not glad we're laying waste to Iraq, but I think there's no point in *****ing about it at this point. Allah forbid we go in and do a half assed job.

Vedder needs to know his role, he's an entertainer not a goddamned ambassador. I hate all those celebrities, Michael Moore at the oscars too...what a punkass. They have no idea what they are protesting for and against. Yes, war is bad...but so are ruthless dictators like Saddam, either way...you don't win.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                    *dead body
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AS long as you're correcting your spelling, it's "speech", not "speach".

If you don't believe in war, why'd you join the Marines and serve 4 years? And
                    not that I disagree about war; my father served in WWII and Korea, and indeed he told me war is hell.

Eddie Vedder is just trying to have it both ways, bashing Bush yet "supporting the troops". No one is fooled.

BTW, our troops are finding Baath Party
                    bosses in Iraq because brave civilians are coming to them to volunteer the info.
                    That's dangerous when the Saddam Mafia are still combing the streets taking names for later. They're glad we're there, but they're leery because we bailed last time without finishing, and 250,000 people were executed afterwards
                    for the rebellion. Once they see us stay to finish the job, they won't be afraid to show their true feelings, and will forgive us for leaving them hanging,
                    because we came back to make it good.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

You say you support the troops 110% (which is impossible, because 100% is ALL
                      the percents there - anyone who says 110%
                      or 1000% is lying because there IS no such thing), yet a moment later imply that our troops are pointing tanks and M16s at civilians so they'll say they're
                      on our side. Isn't that less than total
                      support? Considering that Iraqi troops dressed as civilians have attacked our men and suicide bombers dressed as civilians have killed our men, wouldn't
                      you be doing the same as a matter of tactical security, if you were there? How
                      can you refer to our men implying that WE
                      are oppressing those people?

I honor the military, but if you did serve, you know that when you sign up, you sign up for whatever fight the commander in chief says you'll fight.

Did you see any combat duty? I know we
                      went into Kosovo during your years of service, but don't recall hearing of a lot of ground action. Wasn't it basically a peacekeeping action on the ground? Protecting Albanians from Serb
                      paramilitary forces, I thought. I recall
                      a couple of guys getting captured because
                      they supposedly drove into Serbia by mistake.

Anyway, I digress. Vedder can probably count on 80% of his fans being anti-war liberals, so it IS a career move to speak
                      against Bush and the war. Not that I'd go to a Pearl Jam show, but I don't buy a concert ticket because I want to go to a
                      political rally. I want to see and hear a band play a show. As I said before, Eddie Vedder is like Bono's "specially challenged" brownnosing little brother.
                      His real concerns are his cash, his stash
                      and his apparent agoraphobia.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I don't believe in THIS war. I hate war, but when it needs to be done, it needs to be done. The day of the WTC attacks, I sat at home watching the news and sharpening my Ka-Bar(USMC fighting knife). I will defend my country and my, and your, freedom to my death. I will not however be a bully. I am torn between knowing that we are there for all of the wrong reasons, and knowing that my brothers, and the Marines that I trained myself, who are like my children, are there and need my help. I am nto trying to upset anyone on this board, and I respect everyone's opinions and feelings here. These are trying times for all of us, and I want you all to know that despite any difference of opinon that we may have, I will take up arms to defend any of you. And thenks for the spel cheq [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Vedder's actions remind me of something that happened a while back...

Sinead O'Conner ripped up a picture of the pope on Saturday Night Live. Ask her how smart of a career move that was.

These great public mouthpieces such as Eddie Vedder and that b*tch from the Dixie Chicks have every right to oppose the war. The problem is, no one is content to just say "I oppose the war." They turn it into a personal attack against Bush, whether it is saying you are ashamed to be from the same state as he is, or beheading an effigy of him. When hating the president is the only platform these people stand on, I question whther or not they really understand what is going on with the war anyway.

- E.

[ April 04, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: AlexL ]
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

"If you don't believe in war, why'd you join the marines and serve four years?"

So it's a prerequisite to believe in war before you join the marines? Is that what it's all about? I thought people chose such a career so that they could serve and defend their respective nations, not so that they could 'war'. Does anyone believe in war? Is that a belief that's desirable in a new recruit?..."Why do you want to join the marines?", "Because I believe in war, sir!" I think most people who enrol in the armed services believe in the maintenance of peace.

Eddie Vedder voiced his opinions, as he had a right to do, and some people walked out, as they too had a right to do. What galls most of you who have posted here, is that an opposing view to yours has been voiced. Free speech is OK, so long as it adheres to your right-wing doctrine.

Eddie Vedder said he's opposed to the current war in Iraq, you lot reply by saying Pearl Jam are rubbish anyway!
                            I agree he isn't speaking for some of you, but he is certainly voicing an opinion that, I, and many millions around the world, share too.

Sean.

Comment

Lerx,

Isn't your pedantry getting you down yet? 110% is an expression. It's not a lie, it's an emphatic statement. Is this how you get by intellectually, wholly dependant on the technical?

Sean.

Comment

Well, Sean, that's about the most ludicrous post you've yet to make - and for YOU, that's really quite a feat!

The military's entire purpose is to go to war if needed, in defense of its nation or to further its nation's interests. This has been so from the dawn of time and will be so until the end of time. A
                                strong military may maintain peace by deterring enemies from starting a war, but the military's vocation is to wage war. When you join the military, you sign away your right to oppose any war the government wages. Read the enlistment papers and see for yourself;
                                you become government property for the term of your enlistment. That's why they can imprison you if you try to quit; they
                                own you for the 2 or 4 years.

Man, to even try and say the military service is not designed to wage war is
                                ignorance of unsurpassed proportions! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X