Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I\'m starting a new MONTHLY post here...read on

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:

I've also been listening to a lot of Suidakra and Quo Vadis lately.

Suidakra is a German band with celtic/medieval/folklore musical themes. Their older stuff is very black metalish, but their more recent albums are a nice combination of black with death and classic heavy metal. A nice percentage of their songs are acoustic or have acoustic/folk passages in them too. Half the songs have black/death vocals and the other half have clean vocals. This is probably my favorite band as of right now alongside Iron Maiden, probably because they combine so many things together, it's perfect for me. Their site www.suidakra.com has free mp3 downloads. I believe the guitarist who left used to play Jackson guitars and the bassist also plays a Jackson RR1 at times, but lately I think they've been using Ibanez guitars and Steinberger basses.

Quo Vadis... I don't really know how to describe their style, but there's dirty vocals and a lot of classic heavy metal inspired riffs performed using Jackson guitars. They're from Quebec, Canada. quovadis.qc.ca

As for more "mainstream" stuff I've been listening to lately, I've got Iron Maiden, In Flames, Judas Priest ("Rocka Rolla" and "Sad Wings Of Destiny" two disc set I found, called "Genocide"), Halford, Arch Enemy, and Iced Earth.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SUIDAKRA!!!!!
    Nice to see their name brought up here, one of my favorite bands. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    As for Quo Vadis, if you like fast technical metal, you'll like them a lot, plus you'll give our speakers a workout from the pummelling bass drum. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Another cool band to check out is Amon Amarth. They put out some really amazing stuff.

Comment

This is a well good idea. I was going to start my own thread that was like a "If you like (band name), try (band name2)" or "If you wish In Flames could play solos, try Beyond the Embrace" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      If you like, like technical thrash with a screamy type of vocals, not death growling, try Corporation 187. Theyre very good, and Ive seen them live, they whipped the crowd up in no time.

James

Comment

Originally posted by paul:
        SUIDAKRA!!!!!
        Nice to see their name brought up here, one of my favorite bands. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        As for Quo Vadis, if you like fast technical metal, you'll like them a lot, plus you'll give our speakers a workout from the pummelling bass drum. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        Another cool band to check out is Amon Amarth. They put out some really amazing stuff.[/QB]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">YES!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Paul is now my new best friend. Hahah! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Paul,
          Already checked out Amon Amarth...VERY COOL!
          That was actually going to be one of my next picks!

Also checked out Beyond The Embrace...another very cool one!

All good sh*t I've been hearing so far!!...this thread rocks!!! It's accomplishing exactly what I set out for it to do!!! WOOHOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorX7:
            Paul,
            Already checked out Amon Amarth...VERY COOL!
            That was actually going to be one of my next picks!

Also checked out Beyond The Embrace...another very cool one!

All good sh*t I've been hearing so far!!...this thread rocks!!! It's accomplishing exactly what I set out for it to do!!! WOOHOOO!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Beyond the Embrace [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            great fukin band!

[ January 27, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: paul ]

Comment

YES!!! More than four people have heard of them now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] !!!

James

Comment

hmmm... so many bands.
                Agalloch - Great band, kinda like Opeth, songs not as long though.
                Callenish Circle - Very good Melodic-death.
                Ebony Tears - First two albums are great Melodic-death, latest album much less melody.

more to come...

Comment

Jamil,

Thanks for the tips!

Undying is another favorite of mine, as well as Shai Hulud (we've played with them in the past)

only heard of Reprisal...gonna check them (and the Belgian bands) out next! Very cool stuff so far! Keep it coming!

Comment

well i've got some belgium underground bands here
                    some of you will be dissapointed cuz there is barly no lead work and i don't like those bands to to to to much but live they just kick ****ing ass maybe you can find some songs or webistes about them so here it goes

belgium : hXc as it is called:
                    -arkangel
                    -wise up
                    -course of action
                    -broken promises

non belgium bands:but stil hc
                    -undying
                    -shai hulud
                    -reprisal

those are some but i'll post some more in a few days !!!

Comment

for belgian bands I can add a sh!tload more:

Iconoclasm (black)
                      Demonizer (80'ies style black/thrash)
                      Celebrant (death)
                      Signs of darkness (gothic/black, now more avantgarde blackish (used to play in that band))
                      Exterminator (death)
                      Axamenta (blackish)
                      Ill Fares The Land (death)
                      Mystica (death/black)
                      maybe my own band in the future : Absynthium (death)

for more on hellgium's best, check out www.deathmetal.be because I'm forgetting to mention most otherwise.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

are you belgian ??????? me too

i only posted the most amous bands from belgium
                        as i said i don't like those bands to much !!!
                        i am doing a cross over between thrash/death !!!
                        =&gt; like testaments "the gahtering" but a little more melodique and A LOT MORE LEAD WORK

and i have some friends who maybee going big soon here in belgium they are old sk8ter pals of mine they are called "unusual"
                        ====&gt; for all belgians here they are giving a concert the 1/3/01 @ magasin 4
                        the adress is something like rue du magasin nr 4 1000 bxl

i will be there too

if any belgians want to do a death metal jam session feel free to contact me on [email protected]

Comment

IF you love powerful, true heavy metal with awesome vocals, check out the following:

PAGAN'S MIND - EXCELLENT power/progressive metal that sh!ts all over Dream Theater IMO. They combine the style of old TNT with melody and arrangement/odd time sigs of FATES WARNING. Highly recommended!

PRIMAL FEAR - very powerful Priest-ish heavy metal all the way! Ralf Scheepers is the second coming of Rob Halford personified!

ICED EARTH - If you haven't heard them, WHAT THE F*@#! ARE YOU WAITING FOR!? These guys combine the sheer power of old Metallica with the harmonies of IRON MAIDEN! Brilliant U.S. power metal.

MESSIAH'S KISS - incredible power metal with Mike Tirelli (ex-HOLY MOTHER) who is a dead ringer for DIO at times!

GAMMA RAY - Kai Hansen's (ex-HELLOWEEN) group of metallic marauders. Speedy powerful metal with tons of melody and harmonies.

IRON SAVIOR - German power speed metal with incredible sounding guitars! Kai Hansen played in this band also.

I could list about another 50 superior bands of this type, but I'll save some for later. Check all of these out if you're into melodic heavy metal at all - you won't be disappointed!!

Comment

I just found a "new" band, Mithotyn. If you checked out Suidakra and liked them, you NEED to check these guys out. They are similar, just a little bit heavier. I put new in quotes because they are not a new band, i'm not sure if they're even still together, but I just discovered them yesterday.

Comment

Mithotyn has split up around 1999 - 2000. Some members founded a heavy metalband named Falconer...

Comment

I just discovered a newer band called High On Fire. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ February 11, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X