EDDIE VAN HALEN to Visit NAMM 2003!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EDDIE VAN HALEN to Visit NAMM 2003!

Hey if any of you dudes see Eddie, give him my regards. I think he's great-music and metal definitely wouldn't be the same if not for him.

Comment

I heard Eddie didn't sign autographs on sat after making people wait like 3 hours. A friend ran into him at the show and said he was wasted beyond all recognition...

Comment

I actually spent about 20 minutes with EVH saturday and indeed he was very wasted, he was drinking wine at the very least, but people waited from 10am - alost 4pm or so for autographs and nobody got a sig, not even me and I was upstairs in the Peavey booth...

More on that tomorrow, I'm crashing...

Pat - P_Stang

Comment

Hey pat can you shed any light on to what really happened?? read the reviews at vhforums and there's 2 totally differant stories one saying ed was wasted and look like he was ready to die and one that sounded like he was devloping new stuff and was really up beat.
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Dr,

I can't seem to find it, I can see the "I talked to Eddie" post but I keep getting fatal errors.

But, he did say he hasn't played guitar in 4 years and Curt said he sounded like sh!t. But again, I spent at least 20 minutes with the man and if developing new stuff and being up beat means jammin on a chello, well I would agree. Otherwise no, not that I heard or saw anyway... He didn't look very good and he was very trashed, reminded me of a homeless person. I have some decent pics of him, but I don't have permission to post them yet, I'm sure some will leak out from somewhere tho.

My pics of EVH are MIA.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

More later...

Pat

[ January 20, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Strangletooth ]

Comment

Here is what I found about the event.
              What I can say is I was there standing waiting for Eddie like 1 hour and later, I heard him playing(actually he played 1 lick,stopped for 10seconds, then played another lick,then stopped for 10seconds. then continues..)Very dissapointment.

Here is from Blabbermount.
              Eddie Van Halen made an appearance at NAMM 2003 in Anaheim, California on Saturday morning, Jan. 18 and looked either "feeble" or "healthy", depending on the source, as he greeted the hundreds of fans waiting to ask him questions and take pictures with him.

The following are two separate accounts of Van Halen's appearance at NAMM, as posted on the unofficial VAN HALEN message board, VHForums.com:

"lovemachine97" writes: "I got to NAMM day 2 (for me) at 12:30. Eddie was scheduled to appear and perform at 1:30 and sign autographs 2:30 to 4pm. He showed up and walked RIGHT directly in front of me and looked bad. He was dressed like a bum and looked feeble as he walked. He went upstairs where no one is really allowed and sat where we could sort of see him for about an hour. A Peavey employee looked annoyed and said that he always wants to talk business at the wrong times. He waved a bit, and [CREED's] Mark Tremonti and [DREAM THEATER's] John Pretucci went upstairs and took pictures with him.

"He finally came down and did his performance an hour late. Someone who was in there said he seemed lost and not quite sure what he was doing. He talked a bit, played guitar (just noodling), and that was it. No one really knew his purpose. He went back upstairs and sat in the same spot. Every once in a while he would lean over and talk, but he said weird things, would whisper, then his hat fell. He got mad and screamed saying he needed it, and pleaded and got it back when someone threw it up to him.

"At 4:00pm, after I'd been in line for 3.5 hours, others for 4 or 5, we get the word he is not signing. This is AFTER we chanted his name and he leaned over, giving us the 'hush' sign and whispered 'Stick around a while, ok?'. So we did for nothing. There were probably 700 or so people there for him and that was it. The crowd dispersed, and I stuck around. Some others did too.

"Finally he came downstairs to leave about 4:30. This is where it gets sad. He looked lost. He kept repeating, very slurred, 'I'll take care of everyone next time, next time. Tell everyone I'll take care of them next time, next time.' He had a small entourage around him of security, yet he was walking right by me again. He was soft-spoken, but very slurred. He stopped for about one autograph and one picture and then said to everyone else again what I wrote above. He kind of stumbled then walked past me.

"You know how bums can just [reek] of old alcohol. I got a huge wiff of that as he past. It took me about 5 seconds to say aloud, 'He's ****ing hammered!' The guy next to me said, 'Yeah, he [reeks] of booze.'

"It hit me. He was hammered. Flat out ****ing drunk.

"A lot of people were pissed and booed him. Conversations everywhere about how he was done. People talking about burning their VH CDs.

"I hate to make this report, but its so true. I am 24 and have waited 10 years for this, and I waited in line 3.5 hours while he jacked off upstairs and then told us to stick around, then he decided to not sign or meet anyone at all. I don't think they LET him. I think he was too drunk and they didn't want to embarrass him. Honest to god. I felt so stunned and sad. My ears were ringing and my shoulders slumped."

" [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ January 20, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

Here are pics I found.
                CHECK the last picture.
                That is what they call "Eddie's Refreshment" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That is just plain sad.
                  Someone throw the guy in spin dry for 30 days.

Comment

Now that's a damn shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I was upstairs at the Peavey booth with him and Wayne Charvels 2 boys for at least 20 minutes, all he talked about was playing the cello and piano. Was mumbling about tapping and 2 handed hammer ons, etc and he's like "where the fu** do they get this sh!t from" he was very drunk to say the least, I asked him to sign a couple of magazines I had with me and he said "I don't sign my own sh!t" and laughed and I said something to him, not sure what exactly, but he said, "why are you special" and "special" being in a whinie voice as mocking or something, but he laughed about that, but still did not sign for me. I did take a picture of him and Wayne's kids and also got a picture with me, but.... He looked at my shirt ( Jackson, of course ) and said, "Jackson, what the fu** is that and started laughing again, I had a folio with me and he raised the folio and positioned it to block the "son" in Jackson and proceeded to take the picture with me. I know a few people saw the pic as I told the story ( Chuck, Jeremy, Sid, etc, )but where are those pics now? Don't ask pls...

Either way, I was very happy to "finally" meet my teenage idol and drunk or not, healthy or not, he's still EVH and IMO, he's done a lot for each and every one of us, whether we choose to accept that or not. I have a lot of respect for the man and can only wish him the very best.

I don't see a lot of things coming from EVH in the future as it pertains to Van Halen as we've all known in the past but only time will tell and I hope my thoughts and feelings are wrong...

And I know several people from Peavey were NOT happy about Ed's condition and appearance at NAMM ...

Pat

Comment

Well, no disrespect to Gary Cherone but it didn't seem that he was working out. I don't know anybody who was favorably impressed with Van Halen III, and the live MTV concert was embarassing. It's odd, he was great with Extreme, but with Van Halen he was so Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Not that there's anything wrong with that... if you're in FGTH, not VH.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was the VH III sales that weren't working out. Interviews like this one and their amicalble split indicate it wasn't a beef between EVH and Cherone. However, Rolling Stone and other outlets reported Warner Bros. saying "there won't be another Van Halen album unless Roth is singing lead."

Mer

Comment

Well, it's a shame he's in that condition
                          but you're right, he deserves respect for
                          what he gave to the world of hard rock and metal guitar. Charvel and Jackson guitars as we know them might not exist today if EVH hadn't changed the rock guitar scene so dramatically. He put Floyd Rose on the map too, as well as Kramer. He was the single biggest catalyst for 80s metal, and in Randy Rhoads' last inteview he flat-out said he
                          copied EVH in concert to thrill the kids at the shows. So Charvel sprang from EVH
                          as far as credentials, and Jackson sprang
                          from Rhoads in the same way. Rhoads was
                          influenced by EVH, so he's a real pivot point for the genre (Floyd pun unintended).

However he is now, we'd all give a lot to have had 1/1000 the impact EVH has had on
                          the world of music. We should all wish him well.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The man needs help. Seems he's self-destructing. I hope someone close to him helps him realize this. If they've already attempted (...which I'm sure is the case), I hope they try again. And keep trying. Ultimately, only Eddie can help himself, though. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Poor guy.. it's a shame. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

This is just sad guys,

EVH is one of my all time favorites, if not the most, but he is in really bad shape, those pics tell the story. I wish him the best, but when you're past that point, it's very hard to come back. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X