Black Labe Society - Mafia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Labe Society - Mafia

Just snagged Mafia this evening. Killer album. As good if not better than The Blessed Hellride or Sonic Brew. I'm going to see BLS at Ziggy's in Winston Salem next month, and I am fired up to say the least. Has anyone seen them on this tour yet?

Re: Black Labe Society - Mafia

I'll see'em next week.

Comment

Picked up Mafia last weekend. Very good album! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tour opens tomorrow here in AZ. Ill be there.......
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Black Labe Society? Black Lab? Black Labia? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

yep coming hear end of april-seen the new video-rocks its cool he is like one of the only popular oldschool shredders around-there were more tickets sold than satriani here and they started selling Joes a month ago and BLS this week

Comment

he he, he said black labia.

Comment

Yeah Zakk will be here this month too..I'll go see him.

I thought Mafia is OK ...but 1919 is still my fave BLS album..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Havn't heard Mafia yet, but I have tix for Philly.

Comment

I've heard a few songs from Mafia. Gonna go buy it today along with my ticket to see em.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      yep coming hear end of april-seen the new video-rocks its cool he is like one of the only popular oldschool shredders around-there were more tickets sold than satriani here and they started selling Joes a month ago and BLS this week

[/ QUOTE ]

that's because Satriani's music is a wankfest...kids don't dig it at all. He is almost strictly for people who would rather watch guitar clinic videos than actually enjoy the music.

Comment

The new record is strong. Right there with Blessed Hellride in my opinion.

I just wish they were playing a club around here rather than one of those "five bands I couldn't care less about with one band I really want to see" shows.

Comment

I think the record is good but not great. His voice sounds a little too, I dunno, whiny...kinda like he's trying to do a Lane Staley impression. There's nothing wrong with the songs but I don't feel he's giving 100%. His solos sound less composed and more like he's just widdling. Mr Octavia could have been a killer solo but it sounds like he's just practicing scales. I know Zakk is super talented but I wish he would take the time and write a really really great album. The drumming is a bit boring too. I wish he'd hook up with someone like Mikkey Dee. Now that would be killer!

Comment

Re: Black Label Society - Mafia

I agree with you Venom. I had only listened to the first five or six tracks yesterday when I picked it up. I really like Suicide Messiah and Fire It Up. After listening further into the album today, I kept thinking this sounds too much like Alice in Chains in more than a few spots. I think it's a strong album, but in reality not as good as Sonic Brew (which is my favorite album).

Sorry about the "Labe" in the subject line...totally missed it on the preview.

Comment

Re: Black Label Society - Mafia

Yeah, it seems Mafia sounds like he phoned it in. Sounds like he's copying himself from two or three albums ago. The vocals sound like a Layne Staley crossed with a cat in heat or something. Too much mid tempo pacing. And the lyrics are getting to be too "toy" or "corny."

Still think 1919 Eternal & Blessed Hellride are his best work.

Comment

Working...
                              X