best guitar tones of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Mercyful Fate 90's tone is good.
    Plus: Accept balls to the wall tone. Proper heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by loose Cannon View Post
      Excerpt from Guitar World magazine August 1994.

GW: What gear and settings do you guys use to get your tone?
      Steer: Just for simplicity, I only use one amp live--a Peavy 5150 with a Marshall Guv'nor pedal in front of it to beef up the overdrive just that little bit extra. In the studio, though, it's a different matter; I use several different amps--a selection of Marshalls and the 5150.
      Hickey: One of the amps Bill used on Heartwork was a Marshall 30th Anniversary head that's really fierce, and he also used a tiny Marshall stack on pretty much every track to add some extra high end.
      [Note: Mike didn't join Carcass until after the Heartwork album was recorded.]
      Steer: Yeah, if I remember correctly, almost all of the guitar tracks were done with at least two amps going at once--one of them being a large amp, like the Anniversary [on channel two], a Marshall SL-X 100 watt or the 5150, and then also more often than not, my 10-watt [Marshall] Valvestate micro-stack for extra texture.
      Unlike a lot of other bands who do the kind of stuff that we do, we tend to use a lot of mids. I don't think some people realize how important middle is to a guitar sound.
      Hickey: Absolutely, mids are essential in a solo--without 'em your tone is real thin. My current backline setup is a Marshall SL-X 100-watt head and a Peavey 5150. I suck the mids out of the Marshall but not out the Peavey. I started the Heartwork world tour using a Guv'nor pedal too, but I just got tired of stage divers stepping on my shit!
      Did you read the whole thing or just the first few lines?

Live = 5150, Studio = all sorts.

Correct me if I am wrong but was Heartwork a Live Album?

The GW interview makes no metion of the custom cabinet made at Parr St studios (where the album was recorded) that was stuck in studio 5 because that was the sound they tried to get back to from the demo tracks, or the Allen & Heath mic preamps that were used to shape the tone.
      Last edited by bratfink; 09-15-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I vote for Rusty

For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
          Did you read the whole thing or just the first few lines?

Live = 5150, Studio = all sorts.

Correct me if I am wrong but was Heartwork a Live Album?

The GW interview makes no metion of the custom cabinet made at Parr St studios (where the album was recorded) that was stuck in studio 5 because that was the sound they tried to get back to from the demo tracks, or the Allen & Heath mic preamps that were used to shape the tone.
          Grim stated it was 5150 tone all over. I put this excerpt up to say it wasn't totally.
          I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Originally posted by loose Cannon View Post
            Grim stated it was 5150 tone all over. I put this excerpt up to say it wasn't totally.
            Ah right. Agreed.

Comment

I guess some of my favorite tones of all time are pretty much all from the thrash metal genre with a few exceptions:

Annihilator - Schizo Deluxe
              Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
              Death - Human
              Overkill - From The Underground And Below/Necroshine
              Testament - Low
              Metallica - Master Of Puppets
              Trivium - Ascendancy
              Heathen - Victims Of Deception
              Defiance - Beyond Recognition
              Megadeth - Endgame
              ...too many more to list...
              Last edited by Total_Annihilation; 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBugd...eature=related
                One of my favorite tones .
                The Yellow and Black Attack!

Comment

There is a live version of Can't You See, by Marshall Tucker Band where the guitar tone if so friggen good, especially those first leads coming in after the flute in the intro. I'll try to find a link of it.

EDIT: It's the live version from Searching For a Rainbow album (nice cover art haha.)
                  Last edited by FlyingSkull; 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM.
                  "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                  Zakk Wylde

Comment

Lately, I've been digging these tones.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      Lately, I've been digging these tones.

Dissection. Awesome.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Michael Schenker-Rock Bottom-Strangers in the night live
                        1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

Yeah um pretty much anything MSG or UFO....Special Mention to No Heavy Petting their best next to lights but i think just the rawness of petting rules, it defiantly deserves as one of rocks best albums easy. with also noteworthy Drumming..
                          Forefront piano, sick vocals bass and drums
                          Fucking Epic

Comment

UFO in the original line up was kick ass for sure. Saw them live a few times including the reunion. Epic is right!
                            1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

Hmm, Brian May anyone?
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I wish I could throw this thread on my Ipod.
                                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X