best guitar tones of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Face Down in the Gutter is a great one to play live.XYZ rocks.
      Blue Murder I saw live and the guitar tone was huge.
      Best tone live hands down was David Gilmour.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here's a guitar tone (Although the production definitely helps) I've always loved. It is suffocating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokTE...eature=related

This is another one of those tones that is brutally heavy yet so clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgvTyJwNCk
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by loose Cannon View Post
          Loved the guitar tones on Carcass Heartwork cd. Sonically is one of the best sounding death metal albums still.

It's so Peavey 5150 it isn't even funny.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            I was going to post some Akira Takasaki stuff too, but I see Loudness had been covered. I always preferred his earlier tone, but thats probably because I was listening to it around the time it came out so I experienced and was exposed to it in chronological order.

Here is my all time favorite Akira song, Tusk of Jaguar. It sounds pretty thin by todays standards but it was recorded in 1981 or 82 I believe.

Yep, cool album, I been listening to Akiras Made in Hawaii album lately, it's pretty laid back and trippy but i dig it, has some cool tones on it and some sitar too.
            __________________________________________________ ___________

more stuffs

Heh

lol pimpin up the 80's i don't know why, ....i guess when people think of that kind of thing it goes back to the earliest days when everything was new to them and kicked them in the ass.

Comment

How could I forget this one???

And since someone mentioned W.A.S.P. Bonus points for Chris' badass star in the first vid!!!

Comment

A few of the tones I like are
                Metallica - Master of Puppets, Load
                Megadeth - Rust in Peace, Youthanasia
                Alice in Chains - Dirt
                Van Halen - any pre Haggar ,FUCK, Balance
                Ozzy - Crazy Babies

Comment

Comment

Props on the BÖC and The Who for sure

Love the guitar tone in this.

Last edited by Trem; 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4P8OcuHMPk
                      one of my fav tones ever anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                        There is a 5150 in the mix but also a Marshall 30anni, Micro stack and possibly a JCM800. They layered pretty extensively.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/273...cass-Heartwork)

Comment

Jim Martin got a lot of flak for playing ability (from his bandmates no less) but I thought he had some tasty tone, both live and in the studio...

Last edited by Hellbat; 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

the mercyful fate guitar tone, after the reunion, is it for me. nice and heavy, but still has enough clarity that you can hear the bass guitar.
                            Last edited by markD; 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM. Reason: i am a retard and don't know how to post youtube vids!!
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Jim Martin got a lot of flak for playing ability (from his bandmates no less) but I thought he had some tasty tone, both live and in the studio...
                              Hell yeah those albums are awesome, i loved Angel Dust.. the album... heh

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                                Excerpt from Guitar World magazine August 1994.

GW: What gear and settings do you guys use to get your tone?
                                Steer: Just for simplicity, I only use one amp live--a Peavy 5150 with a Marshall Guv'nor pedal in front of it to beef up the overdrive just that little bit extra. In the studio, though, it's a different matter; I use several different amps--a selection of Marshalls and the 5150.
                                Hickey: One of the amps Bill used on Heartwork was a Marshall 30th Anniversary head that's really fierce, and he also used a tiny Marshall stack on pretty much every track to add some extra high end.
                                [Note: Mike didn't join Carcass until after the Heartwork album was recorded.]
                                Steer: Yeah, if I remember correctly, almost all of the guitar tracks were done with at least two amps going at once--one of them being a large amp, like the Anniversary [on channel two], a Marshall SL-X 100 watt or the 5150, and then also more often than not, my 10-watt [Marshall] Valvestate micro-stack for extra texture.
                                Unlike a lot of other bands who do the kind of stuff that we do, we tend to use a lot of mids. I don't think some people realize how important middle is to a guitar sound.
                                Hickey: Absolutely, mids are essential in a solo--without 'em your tone is real thin. My current backline setup is a Marshall SL-X 100-watt head and a Peavey 5150. I suck the mids out of the Marshall but not out the Peavey. I started the Heartwork world tour using a Guv'nor pedal too, but I just got tired of stage divers stepping on my shit!
                                I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Working...
                                X