Mesa Recto, do I want one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siggy14
    good choice, i love the vintage mode on channel 3! where do you have the rest of your controls set at?
    I had been running the mids and bass dimed, no presence or treble. For this to work, the amp has to be pretty loud, or it will sound muffled. I like the vintage mode the best personally (though this setting works with both the vintage and modern modes I've found).

The last couple of weeks, I've been trying the bass at about 11:30, mids 3:00, treble 1-1:30. Mids are really the key to Rectos I think. To get things to cut, you need to run them high IMO. Also, running the mids high really forces you to clean up your technique. I run dry so when I'm not playing well, EVERYBODY knows it On the other hand, when you're on, it is a very "in your face" cutting tone which allows clean playing to really shine through.

The funny thing is that I've seen Petrucci's settings for example, and he keeps his mids around 9:00. He must have an outboard EQ to help him push through the mix (I dig John's tone personally).
    Last edited by khabibissell; 09-12-2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I dont remember how I set mine right now, I will pull it out of the roadcase tomorrow and post my settings...maybe I will take a picture of my pedalboard with someones camera phone or something and put it in the other thread too.

Comment

That is a good channel too, but i find that better for rock/hard rock and channel 3 for metal.

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84
        Man, I use mine on channel 2 vintage with the gain set halfway up most of the time, and I use Seymour Duncans! So much more of a musical tone like that, to me anyway.

Comment

Right now, channel 2 modern is what I'm digging the most.

Comment

Well I got the dual 3 channel.
            I can say that I think this thing kicks ass.
            We played at a house party and everyone thought
            the same thing.
            I might need a overdrive pedal or would
            I be able to rig up my Mark IV for a lead channel some how?

Comment

By the way I have a G-Major and a Ground Control Pro (one of the new ones)
              if that would help in using the Mark IV for a lead channel in any way.

Comment

I am currently using a 3-channel dual rectifier. I traded in a Peavey Triple XXX head for it. Playing through a Peavey 5150 head, the bottom end gets a little "flabby" sometimes it seems. Although, I am not an EQ freak and I have not found my perfect tone just yet. Regardless, I have been pleased with my switch. Mesas are really monster amps.

I think once I find my magic tone I will be happier than pig in mud.

Comment

I have triple rec and i have gain on 10 o*clock max , but infornt i use tube screamer 9 ( drive 11-12 tone 10 and level to 3 ). TS9 really makes miracles with my amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X