Mesa Recto, do I want one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Recto, do I want one?

Well I have a Mesa Mark iv, now I'm looking at a Recto.
    I play mostly down tuned stuff and 7 string guitars.
    Here's a vid of the tone I would like to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alraGSiHVsQ

Some people absolutely love them..

I loathe them, bought the first series in '92..Way too "buzzy" for my liking..no matter what I did for years ..I could not remove that "buzz"..

My favorite metal guitarist Jeff Loomis never sounded better when he used his Recto..he should use that again and ditch that Krank..it's Krap!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A Recto would do it. So would a 5150.

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking at a newer 3 channel one.
        I'm leaning towards the triple because I mostly play
        at high volume levels, but the dual is a better price.
        Is there much diffence between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Jackson
          Yeah, I'm looking at a newer 3 channel one.
          I'm leaning towards the triple because I mostly play
          at high volume levels, but the dual is a better price.
          Is there much diffence between the two?
          The triple is 50 watts more than the dual. I doubt you need that much power unless you play stadiums with no PA system.
          The single is crazy sick loud too and its only 50 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
            A Recto would do it. So would a 5150.
            I personally prefer the 5150, without question..but to each their own..

You gotta let your hands and ears decide this one for you...I always go with..the whatever works for you method..

Don't worry so much what others think..you must be the judge on the amps you like..

Forget "clips"..Clips..are miced, eq'd and colored, and dialed in to that players hands and style..that is NOT you on that clip!!

Here is a good anolgy..some say I compared this amp to this amp and it blew it away..you can't go by that either, only for THAT person..because what works for someone doesn't work for others..

A much more fair A/B comparison would be me bringing my Uber to John G's house and THEN compare..because we both invested lots of time into our own gear and milked the very best out of them..

John G milked the beejesus out of a Vetta , and I know it'll sound damn good..but I milked the shit out of my Uber and that too sounds damn good..now that's a fair fight!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the new recto's are shipping with the 440 tubes and they are so much better then the old 430's and 420's they use to ship with. The 420's were the ones that came with the original 2 channels, and then sometime they switched to the 430's.

I just played a new one at GC with the 440's and i was shocked how much better it sounded, and trust me i loved the duals with the 430's too. The 440's seem to take away some of that buzz that people complain of.

Comment

oh, and another trick with the recto's, either use really high output pickups, or a tube screamer in front and dont max out the gain.

Comment

PS in that video munky is using a roadking, they switched to them a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                    I personally prefer the 5150, without question..but to each their own..

You gotta let your hands and ears decide this one for you...I always go with..the whatever works for you method..

Don't worry so much what others think..you must be the judge on the amps you like..

Forget "clips"..Clips..are miced, eq'd and colored, and dialed in to that players hands and style..that is NOT you on that clip!!

Here is a good anolgy..some say I compared this amp to this amp and it blew it away..you can't go by that either, only for THAT person..because what works for someone doesn't work for others..

A much more fair A/B comparison would be me bringing my Uber to John G's house and THEN compare..because we both invested lots of time into our own gear and milked the very best out of them..

John G milked the beejesus out of a Vetta , and I know it'll sound damn good..but I milked the shit out of my Uber and that too sounds damn good..now that's a fair fight!!
                    I do think that the Rectifier would handle that dropped 7 string stuff a little better than the 5150. It all depends on the cabinets.
                    Regarding tube amps....I have a Dual Rectifier and a block letter 5150 sitting right here next to a Marshall Plexi and a hollywood modded Mesa Stiletto Deuce.
                    With no outboard ANYTHING....
                    Death Metal... Rectifier
                    Thrash Metal... 5150
                    80's Old School Metal... 5150
                    90's Metal... Stiletto
                    Modern Nu-Metal... Rectifier/5150 are a tie
                    Late 60's to late 70's VERY old school metal... Marshall Plexi
                    Pop-metal (if there is such a thing!!)... Stiletto

Regarding the catch phrases we all use....

Crushing... Rectifier

High Gain Metal... 5150

I want a high gain metal amp with a GREAT clean channel and alot of options because I play everything from The Stones to Megadeth... Stiletto

I love to drop tune to C or LOWER!!!... Rectifier

I play old school 70's early 80's metal and I only need one tone. I don't want a loop. I am one of those Guitar/Cord/Amp type of players. Maybe I'll have a wah out in front but thats it!!! .... PLEXI

I need an amp with solo boost that will cut through the mix under any circumstances... Mesa Stiletto

I need and amp to compete and mix well with the other guitarist in my band. He plays a Rectifier... Mesa Stiletto. Thats what was designed for.

I am in a one guitar band and we do Godsmack type stuff... Rectifier.

I want to be able to roll down my guitar volume and clean my tone up...
                    Plexi

I want and amp that sounds good at bedroom levels but I could also take to the gig... 5150, Rectifier. I think they both sound good at low levels.

I want to be able to scoop my tone like Dimebag... your best shot is with the Rectifier.

I want an amp that will be happy with stomp boxes in the loop... 5150

I want an amp that will be happy with just about any rack mount effects processor in the loop... Stiletto

I want an amp thats not hissy when the gain is turned way up... Stiletto, Plexi, Rectifier, 5150... in that order from quietest to loudest.

Comment

I have both a 5150 and a Triple and I love them both. It took me a while to adjust from the 5150 to the triple but I am finally leaning towards the Triple.

A few days ago I plugged into my 5150 and immediatly noticed that it lacked the balls that the Triple has. By balls I don't mean gain, because the 5150 has more gain than anyone will ever need or use. I usually use the gain at about 4, anything past 4 is just overkill. I will add that using a 422a in the loop of the 5150 does adds balls to amp and makes you wonder how you ever did without it.

Overall the 5150 is a great amp, and for a while I wondered why I wasted my money on a Triple Rec. It took a while but I finally tweaked the eq to my liking. If you have never used a Triple I recommend you read the manual to get a better idea of what each knob does, since the eq is chained in such a way that making changes to one knob can affect more that just that setting.
                      Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Krimson.."I will add that using a 422a in the loop of the 5150 does adds balls to amp and makes you wonder how you ever did without it."

Very, very good..I'm proud of you!!

Are you also using the matching 5150 4-12" Cab???!!!

Comment

recto is the right thing for you, it kills with good overdrive pedal, the most "in your face" amp I've ever heard
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well I got my Mark iv for my high gain stuff, and thrash metal, it's nice
                            for low level play'n too. The clean channel sounds good to me as well.
                            I would like a Recto to go with my G-Major in the loop and NO overdrive
                            pedal in front.
                            How is the loop on the Recto?

Comment

without the OD pedal it doesn't sound badass
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X