Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik
    without the OD pedal it doesn't sound badass
    that is just SOOOO crazy to me. i believe you guys when you say that, but to me it is criminal!!! why spend all that money on an amp, an amp that has so much available gain, only to have to throw a pedal in front of it!!!! mesa should go back to the design phase with that amp then!!!

i have never cared for them, but they are used by so many pros. i just don't get it.

i would NEVER buy a high gain amp and feel okay putting a pedal in front.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've got a single rectoverb combo and I love it. I run it through a Mesa 4x12 with vintage 30's for bigger venues and when I want that extra something. Other than that I think it's a plug and play amp. You can add what you want but it needs nothing. I run a G-major in the loop of mine for effects when I want thema. The loop does OK but I know it would be better suited to run slave out into the G-major then into a power amp but who can afford all that! HA HA! So, with that being said, I can play pretty much everything from country to nu-metal with my recto and G major. That doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you but I like it

Comment

It is not really that much compared to other amps, when it comes down to it a recto is one of the best bang for the bucks out there. You have so many different voicings, choice of EL34's or 6L6's.

As to why put a pedel in front, that depends, if you are playing downtuned wall of sound music the recto does not need it, however if you want more clarity with huge gain then the pedal is a must. For some reasons gained max on a recto is just so much that the bass gets a little flubby.

Originally posted by markD
        that is just SOOOO crazy to me. i believe you guys when you say that, but to me it is criminal!!! why spend all that money on an amp, an amp that has so much available gain, only to have to throw a pedal in front of it!!!! mesa should go back to the design phase with that amp then!!!

i have never cared for them, but they are used by so many pros. i just don't get it.

Comment

I don't understand why people can't understand why you would want to put an overdrive in front of an amp... You use EMG's right? Basically the same concept. It just adds a hotter signal and additional EQ capabilities.

I've had a Single Recto for over three years... I've bought quite a few amps since then and they're all gone except for my Classic 50. Nothing could beat the Recto for my needs (hard rock/metal). Rectos rule!

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
            For some reasons gained max on a recto is just so much that the bass gets a little flubby.
            run the mid, bass, and gain up all the way and try turning off the treble, and running the presence to taste. this should elimitate the flubbies.

running an OD pedal or "clean boost" just has a different sound that some people prefer. the recto is a great amp- i just wish it had a series effects loop.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah i know, i said that in one of my earlier posts, either use a overdrive or very hot pickups.

Originally posted by khabibissell
              I don't understand why people can't understand why you would want to put an overdrive in front of an amp... You use EMG's right? Basically the same concept. It just adds a hotter signal and additional EQ capabilities.

I've had a Single Recto for over three years... I've bought quite a few amps since then and they're all gone except for my Classic 50. Nothing could beat the Recto for my needs (hard rock/metal). Rectos rule!

Comment

Actualy i like running the bass around 12, i dont get to much flubby because i dont use massive amounts of gain anyway.

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
                run the mid, bass, and gain up all the way and try turning off the treble, and running the presence to taste. this should elimitate the flubbies.

running an OD pedal or "clean boost" just has a different sound that some people prefer. the recto is a great amp- i just wish it had a series effects loop.

Comment

Originally posted by markD

I don't understand why people wouldn't use a pedal, who cares what you use, it's the end result that matters, I have yet to play an amp wich doesn't need a pedal to get the tone for my liking.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                    Krimson.."I will add that using a 422a in the loop of the 5150 does adds balls to amp and makes you wonder how you ever did without it."

Very, very good..I'm proud of you!!

Are you also using the matching 5150 4-12" Cab???!!!
                    Yup, got the full stack.
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
                      As to why put a pedel in front, that depends, if you are playing downtuned wall of sound music the recto does not need it, however if you want more clarity with huge gain then the pedal is a must. For some reasons gained max on a recto is just so much that the bass gets a little flubby.
                      If your maximizing the gain on a recto you are sacrificing your tone. I wouldn't suggest going past 2 0'clock on the gain knob.
                      Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

For bedroom volume i will do 3, for live situation around 1 or 2.
                        Originally posted by krimson
                        If your maximizing the gain on a recto you are sacrificing your tone. I wouldn't suggest going past 2 0'clock on the gain knob.

Comment

Two o'clock on the gain knob in vintage mode for me, with an overdrive in front... level high, gain zero. Plenty of gain available.

Comment

good choice, i love the vintage mode on channel 3! where do you have the rest of your controls set at?

Originally posted by khabibissell
                            Two o'clock on the gain knob in vintage mode for me, with an overdrive in front... level high, gain zero. Plenty of gain available.

Comment

Man, I use mine on channel 2 vintage with the gain set halfway up most of the time, and I use Seymour Duncans! So much more of a musical tone like that, to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson
                                Yup, got the full stack.
                                You're doin' good..PM me I tell you my secrets on milking a stock 5150 to sound it's very best..I did it so much!!

I really wanted to like my Recto, I couldn't get the flub out of it ..I even bribed it with oral sex..we just didn't get along.

Jeff Loomis, when that fucker played his Recto..it was completely flubbless, that bastid made his Recto SCREAM!!!!
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X