Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

ok, you know hell has officially frozen over when bill is the voice of reason [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      ok, you know hell has officially frozen over when bill is the voice of reason [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does feel cold in here. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I like my metal guitar tone open, slightly grainy, lite on the bottom, heavy on the midrange and a tiny bit shrill at the top with a touch of sizzle. I also like as little gain as possible but still being considered heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN brutha !!! That is how I like my tone too. It also fits in the pocket nicely in most rock bands.

JG, are using the JMP-1 or the Spinal Puppet model on the Vetta ??

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          I like my metal guitar tone open, slightly grainy, lite on the bottom, heavy on the midrange and a tiny bit shrill at the top with a touch of sizzle. I also like as little gain as possible but still being considered heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN brutha !!! That is how I like my tone too. It also fits in the pocket nicely in most rock bands.

JG, are using the JMP-1 or the Spinal Puppet model on the Vetta ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I am using the Spinal Puppet double stacked on the Vetta. I am pretty sure the patch is based on the JMP1.
          I also threw a Tube Screamer on Stomp Box 1 to give it some added gain for solo's if I need it
          BTW... the best trick for solo boost ever with a Vetta is looping a TRS cable between the send and return jacks. Then, make sure the loop is turned all the way up in the patch. This way you can go into the loop page and adjust the db boost. I even labeled my FBV longboard Solo Boost over the loop logo.
          Spinal Puppet is my favorite model on the Vetta so far. Its such a recognizable 80's metal tone.

Comment

Spinal Puppetis one of my FAVs.

I think Line6 says the Spinal Puppet is modeled after modded marshalls but the first tine I heard it I thought "wow a smooth JMP1"

I have been using that TRS in the loop trick for years, what a great way to get a true boost.

I have started using the 5150 more with the gain and bass backed off and the mids bosted. Sounds like a whole different amps now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Spinal Puppetis one of my FAVs.

I think Line6 says the Spinal Puppet is modeled after modded marshalls but the first tine I heard it I thought "wow a smooth JMP1"

I have been using that TRS in the loop trick for years, what a great way to get a true boost.

I have started using the 5150 more with the gain and bass backed off and the mids bosted. Sounds like a whole different amps now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still tweaking my 5150 patch. It sounded good at home but at the studio it was way to aggressive and bottom heavy. Its a monster of an amp model with tons of potential. Another great super heavy Vetta model is the HD147. That is some serious heavy stuff. I have a blend I am working on that combines the HD147 and the Bogner Ubershall. I will never need a tone that heavy but its fun creating it.

Comment

It is freezing in here.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I liked the HD147...in the store..

I was shreddin' balls with dat shit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It is freezing in here.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I liked the HD147...in the store..

I was shreddin' balls with dat shit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, the HD147 is a wicked patch on the Vetta. Super heavy and tight.

Comment

A 1998 DSL100 is my main amp, with G12-75's in the cab. I love the tone, but it depends on what you are trying to play. It's not a death metal amp-more like AC/DC, GnR, Thin Lizzy, Juda Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, old school stuff. Usually I use the clean channel, dimed with the extra gain button on. I haven't messed with the lead channel for a while. I remember when I did, if you dimed everything and had the ultra-gain on, with hot pickups, it sounded ugly (way too much gain).

For those who bash, (just curious) did you check to see if you have Dagnall or Drake transformers? Did you experiment with different tubes? Did you try tweaking the bias?

Can someone explain why they hate the DSL100 tone so much - like "I'm trying to sound like XYZ, and the lead channel is nasally". I almost bought a 5150 for $600 on Harmony-Central amps forums because of the way you guys praise these. In what way is the 5150 different than a DSL100? I chickened out on buying the 5150 because I've never played one before, and I didn't think buying a used one is a good way to find out if I like the tone or not.

Comment

To my ear... 5150 has more clarity, low end thump and gain than the DSL. Just my opinion though.

Pete

Comment

as i said, i played the DSL live&loud for countless times, and currently own a 5150. quite different amps actually.
                        the 5150 crunch channel does have a lot of gain, but is rather undefined, boosting the crunch channel with a tubescreamer or sd1 makes this an outstanding metal rhythm tone tone that's very comparable to the low gain mode of the dsl.
                        as for the high gain channels, they're indeed very different. the 5150 has more bottom end, gain, less mids, and brighter....kinda like a mix between a recto and the dsl imho....well at least in this ballpark. the 5150 can be used with more gain without fuzzing up like the dsl would do. i haven't experimented with boosts when using the dsl, though.

seeing that you are after a rock tone rather than a metal one, the dsl might actually be your better bet. the 5150 clean channel can be tamed down somewhat, so it's usable (not as chimey as the dsl though), but the lead channel doesn't offer a lot of rockish tones...pretty much is in VH/ACDC teritorry from 0-2, after that it's high gain. 4 is plenty for metal.
                        i'd not really second the statement that the 5150 is clearer sounding, though....the response is different. the 5150 has more of a thump, whereas the dsl has that percussive thing going on when palm muting.

bottom line is that the best way to check if you like the amp or not is to buy one and use it for a while, swapping tubes etc. a brief tryout often isn't enough imho.

Comment

"To my ear... 5150 has more clarity, low end thump and gain than the DSL. Just my opinion though"

+1001

But who cares anymore..if you can shred with a DSL..go for it..

I'd rather listen to a fine player thru a DSL than a shitty player thru a ______..your favorite boutique amp here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            But who cares anymore..if you can shred with a DSL....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think how you'd sound with a good amp. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

jg, I don't mind a DSL, I however liked the TSL a little bit more. It's not a bad amp at all in my mind. Then again, I like everything.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                To my ear... 5150 has more clarity, low end thump and gain than the DSL. Just my opinion though.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also more harsh. I think it has a little too much bottom end chunk and it doesn't get better sounding when you turn it up. Its a mighty fine sounding metal amp though and its built like a tank. IMHO, a Soldano is everything a 5150 wished it could be.

Comment

Working...
                                X