Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

I had a long recording session yesterday. We have several amps at our studio. After trying them all out with all kinds of mic's ranging from $100.00 to $2000.00 with a bunch of cabinets ranging from vintage Vin 30 equipt 1960A's from the 80's, 5150 cabs and Mesa cabs we settled on:
    Rhythm track 1: Marshall DSL100 through a Mesa Boogie 3/4 back cab w/90w Black Shadow using a Shure SM57 off axis.
    Rhythm track 2: Soldano SP77 through the same cab and mic.
    Rhythm fill track 1: Vetta using the Marshall JPM-1 (Spinal Puppet) model through the same cab and mic.

We found that the Vetta didn't sound the best live in the room but it sounded fantastic mic'd at the console. Its hard to explain. It sounded a tiny bit processed when standing in front of the speaker but at the console listening to it mic'd, it sounded more real than the real amps and it was set on the JPM-1 preamp setting. Go figure.
    The Marshall DSL100 (I know how much everybody hates them), sounds killer recorded. Just dial in some basic settings and you are good to go. Its simple. I really like that amp for both recording and live use.
    The Soldano filled in all of the spaces that were lacking in the DSL100 track. It has more "grain" to it and makes the DSL100 sound more agressive when its blended in.

The blend of the Soldano, Marshall and the Vetta (JMP1) really gave us that 80's high gain metal tone which is exactly what we were after.

We haven't figured out what to use for the guitar solo's but we are leaning towards the Soldano. I played all the rhythm tracks with the gain on 6. We were thinking about turning up the gain and cranking the amp up for the solo tracks. I also want to try out the Vetta and the POD.

We didn't use the block letter 5150 or the 5150II because they both sounded too harsh and agressive for what we were looking for.

Having a Vetta in the studio is outstanding. We were able to scroll through amp and cabinet models until we found the exact tone we were looking for. It ended up being the Marshall JMP-1. It has an instantly identifiable 80's high gain metal tone very similar to Iron Maiden's tone.

Re: Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

You can roll down the Gain on the 5150 and it takes away the "harseness"

Comment

I imagine the DSL and Soldano mix would be quite the excelent mix of sounds. DSLs are great if you find a decent one IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I imagine the DSL and Soldano mix would be quite the excelent mix of sounds. DSLs are great if you find a decent one IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. We did find a good one. We demo'd a few and ended up traveling to Rhode Island from Connecticut to get one. The DSL100 sounds great by itself but blended with the Soldano it sounded even better. They have similar tone recorded. The Soldano seems to "fill" the room more.

Comment

"The DSL100 sounds great by itself but blended with the Soldano it sounded even better. They have similar tone recorded. The Soldano seems to "fill" the room more."

John this confirms that you and I have two completely different perspective and a "ear" for tone...I found zero similiarities between the two..not in anyway , shape or form..not even close!

love,

Billy
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            "The DSL100 sounds great by itself but blended with the Soldano it sounded even better. They have similar tone recorded. The Soldano seems to "fill" the room more."

John this confirms that you and I have two completely different perspective and a "ear" for tone...I found zero similiarities between the two..not in anyway , shape or form..not even close!

love,

Billy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. We do Bill. I like the good tone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have used DSLs and tried so many things with them (wanting it to sound good) and I have to say they are the (almost) the crappiest sounding Marshall to ever be produced. For the money they want for them new, it is hiliarious.

Honestly John, and not saying this mean or smart assed or questioning your ability, but I would have to question your tonal opinion quite a bit on these matters in the future as I know I would not agree on your thoughts on what good tone is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have used DSLs and tried so many things with them (wanting it to sound good) and I have to say they are the (almost) the crappiest sounding Marshall to ever be produced. For the money they want for them new, it is hiliarious.

Honestly John, and not saying this mean or smart assed or questioning your ability, but I would have to question your tonal opinion quite a bit on these matters in the future as I know I would not agree on your thoughts on what good tone is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, now I have 2 respected JCF'rs that are questioning my idea of what good metal guitar tone is. That damn DSL.
                I heard this particular DSL100 yesterday playing through a mid 80's Marshall 1960A with Vin 30's in it. We ended up using a Mesa cab because the Marshall had a little rattle to it. I also heard the DSL100 live at the last gig we did and my Soldano absolutely killed it live but it still didn't sound bad at all. To my ears, the DSL100 sounds like a good JCM900 (which many feel sucks). I sort of liked the JCM900 tone when it first came out. We paid around $1100.00 for the DSL100 used and I think its a darn good amp for $1100.00. I like it better than the 5150 and the 5150II.
                I really don't want to defend it too much because I don't even use one. I just think it sounds good. I never really liked that compressed bottom heavy scooped death metal tone. I like my metal guitar tone open, slightly grainy, lite on the bottom, heavy on the midrange and a tiny bit shrill at the top with a touch of sizzle. I also like as little gain as possible but still being considered heavy.

Comment

Actually, maybe I don't know what good guitar tone is. It's certainly possible. I guess you can't be good at everything.

Comment

Again...two different ears for tone..that's all.

hey whatever works for you man..

but what that you claim as awesome ..to my ears is crap IMO!..

But I say this with the upmost respect of course and nothing towards you on a personal basis whatsoever..

just that our taste in "good" tone is subjective...I have a ear for "good" tone..but our definition of that tone just differs....ummm Big Time!

Bill Z
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Wow, how dare you call me respected, why I oughtta....

Hehe...

What is really funny is I think the 900 sound better than the DSLs with a little help from a booster in the front end like a PA-2 preamp or a wireless cranked up and an EQ in the loop. We tried all that with a DSL and it still sounded blah...

I basically chase a VanHalen I sound on steroids with more crunch and a bit more gain... So, what do I know, haha... Ehh, as we see EVERY DAY here, good tone is subjective.

Comment

"Cool, now I have 2 respected JCF'rs that are questioning my idea of what good metal guitar tone is"

john, maybe i'm not a respected JCF'r, but i've already said it countless times, the jcm2000 sounds REALLY good. i DO agree however that the 1100euro for a new dsl100 is kinda high....i'd sure as hell own one if they were around 800.
                        i can see why bill and john aren't into them, though. as far as i can figure out by their posts, both are WAY into the hi gain saturated sound.....i mean, bill runs his uber gain DIMED (no offense bro), so go figure. the dsl doesn't like to be used with a lot of gain. the low gain mode of the dsl's lead channel has plenty of gain on tap for thrash/speed metal with the gain set as low as 1:00 . it does fuzz up above that, and that's why the hi lead mode is kinda unusable. same goes for the tsl, the lead channel isn't spectacular, the crunch channel however is....gain around 3:00 and you have a fabulous thrash metal rhythm tone.
                        i recently posted in a similar discussion at another board, and some guy said i should go on and compare the jcm2000 to a "real" amp such as the 5150 or recto to notice the crappyness of the marshall. i did, after all i own a friggin 5150. apples and oranges....the marshall has that marshall tone, period.

Comment

I played through a DSL at the Hollywood GC last week with a nice PRS. It sounded alright. It was pretty far from the greatest or worst amp I've ever played through. I could see being able to get a usable tone out of it in a pinch. IOW, it would not be my first choice but I wouldn't cancel a show if that was the only amp available that night.

It ain't worth what they cost though IMO. There are many things available for that price that I like a lot better.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

exactly my thoughts. if i had to pick either a jcm2000 or the 5150, i'd go for the 5150, no contest. but then again, the 5150 does not have that very special marshall grind....unfortunately. i'm still searching for an amp that gives me *that* marshall grind, but more brutal (well, without modding a perfectly cool marshall).
                            believe me, i didn't want to like the dsl, i was so biased against it (mainly because of this forum), but after playing one for 3 weeks straight i kinda learned to love it. as a matter of fact, i still kinda miss that super tight and clear resonance that blends so well with the whole band......

Comment

I don't like the DSLs either, but hey - let's wait until John gets his recordings made and he can post em! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X