Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vetta, DSL, 5150, 5150II, Soldano SP77

Ask anyone, I am not a gain head. like I said, VH I with a bit more edge, gain, and crunch. I am known for using reasonably little gain.

I like a good tone and to me, a DSL sounds like ass. I actually like a 900 more.

I just recently heard a band that had one guitar with a recto (which I hate) and one with a DSl, and the recto smoked the marshall by far. Maybe the Marshall guy couldnt dial in?

Comment

I owned a brand new DSL 2000..we couldn't sell it fast enough...it was just pathetic.

John and I spent weeks with that useless turd...our combined opinion/conclusion was.. it was THE worst Marshall tube amp we' ever heard...and we owned alot of 'em!

I don't like Rectos at all..but I'd take one over a TSL/DSL anyday...anyday...if I had to!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yikes! a recto better than a dsl? that's harsh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I played through a DSL at the Hollywood GC last week with a nice PRS

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice PRS??? Oxymoron... hehe...

Jeez... They'll just let anyone in here these days... There goes the neighborhood... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            "Cool, now I have 2 respected JCF'rs that are questioning my idea of what good metal guitar tone is"

john, maybe i'm not a respected JCF'r, but i've already said it countless times, the jcm2000 sounds REALLY good. i DO agree however that the 1100euro for a new dsl100 is kinda high....i'd sure as hell own one if they were around 800.
            i can see why bill and john aren't into them, though. as far as i can figure out by their posts, both are WAY into the hi gain saturated sound.....i mean, bill runs his uber gain DIMED (no offense bro), so go figure. the dsl doesn't like to be used with a lot of gain. the low gain mode of the dsl's lead channel has plenty of gain on tap for thrash/speed metal with the gain set as low as 1:00 . it does fuzz up above that, and that's why the hi lead mode is kinda unusable. same goes for the tsl, the lead channel isn't spectacular, the crunch channel however is....gain around 3:00 and you have a fabulous thrash metal rhythm tone.
            i recently posted in a similar discussion at another board, and some guy said i should go on and compare the jcm2000 to a "real" amp such as the 5150 or recto to notice the crappyness of the marshall. i did, after all i own a friggin 5150. apples and oranges....the marshall has that marshall tone, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stiletto, SLO,...?
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              I played through a DSL at the Hollywood GC last week with a nice PRS

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice PRS??? Oxymoron... hehe...

Jeez... They'll just let anyone in here these days... There goes the neighborhood... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

meanie... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

I don't know, I love Recto's, I like JCM900's (800's much better though) I hate the DSL I've used at our rehearsal studio, but I've heard others that weren't horrible, but not inspiring. I am really happy with my Stiletto ( I know they don't have a huge fan club here either). I also think my little Marshall 3203 sounds decent. Hell, I love my Vetta. That covers alot of metal type amps. Believe me, I'm no amp guru of an kind, but when you think about it, who really is? We all know what we like and thats about all it comes down to. I think the Guru's are just more passinate about speaking about it.

Ok. I'll stop. I'm not even making sense to myself anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, I can't speak for John's experience with the DSL (the recording was with his other band), but he's sure as hell knows how to dial in an amp. Not that it's rocket science, but he's, well, a good tweaker!

peace
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I don't know why it is so popular to bash DSLs, I can say that I have a TSL amp and had a chance to compare it with my other amps (obviously), and to the Soldano's Decatone. I loved the decatone, but TSL still is a great amp. It feels and sounds very good, and it is different enough from the Soldano in response, dynamics and tone. In fact I expected the TSL to be nowhere near the Soldano (and Roadking I was demoing at the time), but it turned out it entirely held its ground. My other amps are VHT and MarkIV.

To sum it up, I have respect to the TSL and I don't think I am parting with it. I'm not sure why so many guys don't like them. My only guess is that they are looking for a different kind of sound.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I don't know, I love Recto's, I like JCM900's (800's much better though) I hate the DSL I've used at our rehearsal studio, but I've heard others that weren't horrible, but not inspiring. I am really happy with my Stiletto ( I know they don't have a huge fan club here either). I also think my little Marshall 3203 sounds decent. Hell, I love my Vetta. That covers alot of metal type amps. Believe me, I'm no amp guru of an kind, but when you think about it, who really is? We all know what we like and thats about all it comes down to. I think the Guru's are just more passinate about speaking about it.

Ok. I'll stop. I'm not even making sense to myself anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, I can't speak for John's experience with the DSL (the recording was with his other band), but he's sure as hell knows how to dial in an amp. Not that it's rocket science, but he's, well, a good tweaker!

peace

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jim, I am pretty sure that the Marshall you have used at RVP is a JCM2000 SLX and not a DSL. Not that it matters any.
                    My favorite Marshall tones come from the Silver Jubilee, a 2203/4 with a Tube Screamer out in front and the 2210.
                    I also like Malmsteens tone with his slaved Plexi's.
                    Currently I am really digging the Marshall JMP1 model in my Vetta.

Comment

eheee, I basically hate all the Marshalls [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      vintage Plexis are the only ones I dig.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

John, it really comes down to one thing: are you happy with it? If so, who cares what a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet say. Heck, I didn't even know half of my gear was total crap until I got on the Internet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          John, it really comes down to one thing: are you happy with it? If so, who cares what a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet say. Heck, I didn't even know half of my gear was total crap until I got on the Internet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Tim. I get really good amp tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Heck, I didn't even know half of my gear was total crap until I got on the Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now ya know. Now get with the program.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              Heck, I didn't even know half of my gear was total crap until I got on the Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now ya know. Now get with the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now list all your gear so we can tell you what stuff has to go [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

This is kinda silly really..it is!

I mean amps are mere "tools" to get your music across..ummm right?

I sincerly HATE rectos..but my favorite guitarist (Jeff Loomis) never sounded better when playing his...so there ya go..

If it works for YOU ..fucking use it!

Even if >>I<< don't like it.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X