Are people dumping 11 racks or is it just me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
    Actually, this thread was not about opinions on the GSP 1101 at all. This thread was created because I'm seeing a ton of 11R's for sale so cheap and was curious to find out why. The GSP1101 was only mentioned because I noticed all the 11R's while looking for a deal on a GSP unit.
    Then disregard everything I said because I was speaking of the GSP 1101. Sorry for the confusion bro.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I feel drunk after reading this thread. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
        Then disregard everything I said because I was speaking of the GSP 1101. Sorry for the confusion bro.

It's all good.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          from Avid's specs, there's no harmonizer in the 11R. A lot of chatter around the internet about whether they would ever add one in a future firmware update. But I can't find anything about there actually being one. Given how many people desire it, you figure it would create a fuss if they'd actually added one.

I always put the lower secondhand prices on the 11R down to the fact that the original owners have registered ProTools & aren't transferring the license with the sale. Most units I've seen for sale specify that PT isn't included. So anyone buying an old one is probably going to have buy PT. Plus don't you require some kind of key/lock to authorise it? So that's an additional expense/dissuader
          Yup, the lower priced ones generally don't include protools. I don't see that as a negative myself as I found protools too bloated and complicated for my recording needs. I'm kind of at the "Tascam cassette 4 track" level of recording engineer hehe. Also the 11R has a built in iLok for protools, so you don't need the dongle with it. at least on V8, later versions may have changed that requirement.

All you need to use the 11R as an interface with any other recording app is the ASIO drivers.
          Last edited by Hellbat; 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I heard one live and I thought it sounded very processed and VERY generic.

Comment

So do you think the GSP1101 is better or is this leading in to "Get a single rec"?
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I like my Eleven Rack. I primarily use it for silent practicing, as an interface for recording, and for re-amping. For this, it excels. I wouldn't consider using it live, nor would I use any modeler live. Any modeler I've used, while able to get good sounds, they are good recorded sounds. It just sounds weird to me hearing a CD quality, polished tone live. As far as the price goes, I got mine brand new for $699 and it includes a full version of Pro Tools. The Pro Tools software by itself is $699, so if you're buying Pro Tools anyway, the 11R is basically free.

I wouldn't recommend the 11R for any sort of live use. If you had to though, it sounds best when disabling the cab modeling and running through a tube amp. I've heard the 11R through a FR setup and wasn't impressed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  So do you think the GSP1101 is better or is this leading in to "Get a single rec"?

Comment

Haven't tried the 11R, though I do recall reading initial comments that hailed it as "better than anything out there" (at least up until the Axe-FX sold more than 5 units), though I suspect a lot of the hype was due to it coming with ProTools. Now to see the 11R being dumped and slagged as "useless" etc is laughable. Whatver "problems" there are now in the tone were there from the beginning, but the "ProTools" blinders somehow masked them until now.

Meanwhile, my ADA MP-1 still kicks as much ass as it did the day it fell off the assembly line. I can run it into a power amp on a stage and an FX unit like the TSR12 and dial up whatever guitar tone, and all without digital artifacting. It takes longer than modelers, but that's what presets and planning are for.

I see no problem with having a CD-quality, processed tone live, so long as the entire band follows suit. Granted it's hard to do in a basement bar, but if you've got enough room to put a shield in front of a drum kit and run everything to the PA, you'll sound a lot more professional.
                    Then again, if you're pandering to the simpletons who simply want sounds louder than the war in their own heads, I suppose you'd want the "raw live tone".

As for PT being "bloated", there's a reason it's called "Pro" "Tools":

Some years ago (I'll have to dig through ancient magazines to find it) someone sent an open letter to recording artists and engineers everywhere asking "what do you want in a DAW?" because most of them were complaining that they were actually doing more work per album on computers than they had to do with analog equipment to achieve the same results.

They had to record in xx, then add effects to tracks with yy, and use zz for something else, then try to dump the whole thing to an ADAT and deal with inconsistent and incompatible proprietary formats between various systems and hope and pray that there were no sync issues once the ADAT Master was finished.

So, many engineers answered the open letter and said "we want this, this, and this in ONE program that works the same whether it's on a PC in L.A., a MAC in N.Y., or a Commodore64 in Bangladesh".
                    Thus was born "Tools for the professional studio engineer" - ProTools. It was never intended for you and me to buy, and for years was only available to the recording industry (studio name and label affiliation were requirements on the order form).

But, as it happens, some studio intern got a copy of the disc and uploaded it to the web, and that was that; it had to be made available to the general public for sale.

I'd wager over half who have it and use it today have not paid one penny for it, much like Photoshop or 3D Studio Max, but they swear it's worth every penny they didn't pay for it.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I didn't like Pro-Tools at all. The interface was very off putting for me. I actually just used their ASIO driver and used MixCraft as my DAW.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I think I either demoed it or saw it on a PC once some years ago, and yeah, it's a bit too "let's go to the moon" for me. I don't need a spectrum analyzer open by default. I probably should learn the why and how to use it, but aside from pretty colors, I got no use for it. I understand it can help with getting a better mix, but that's about it.

I forget what all else it opened. All I needed was track view, the MIDI editor, and the Rec/Play functions, not a Network TV Distribution Overview. I went back to CoolEdit Pro lol
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X