Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axefx Ultra after 2 hours of plugging in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    More of a question and not a rebuttal...Can it model the way the components of a vintage amp will "settle" over time? My Mark IV type A early 90's will sound significantly different than a newer Mark IV type B. Even if the models were created looking at the amp's schematic, there is no way one can predict which component is going to settle faster than another. That's one of the reasons an unmodded vintage amp is so highly valued because "time" has made it the way it sounds.
    When to start getting to that level of detail then you also have to consider how different instances of the same amp will sound different because of tube and component age/wear and that's when I get off the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      When to start getting to that level of detail then you also have to consider how different instances of the same amp will sound different because of tube and component age/wear and that's when I get off the bus.
      +1

I'm not the best person to answer that question anyway. I may be the only guitar player in the world to consider "vintage" a disadvantage for a particular amp. Electronics do not improve over time, they are not fine wine
      "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Agree that the AFX gives you so many options of digitally modifying an amp model, some of which we would never think of doing in real-life. Bright Cap - This control sets the value of the “bright cap” across the virtual drive control. Increasing this will make the preamp brighter and vice-versa. The Bright Switch must be engaged for the effect to be audible.

But, it would drive me nuts knowing that I'm hearing just a simulation. Sort of a "if you did this, this is how it might sound". In the back of my mind, I will always know that in real-life, it might not sound like that.

And there is no way to compare it in reality! Even if you brought a Bogner Uber changed its bright cap, the age of the amp, the life of the tubes, etc. would have made it an altogether different amp and the model on the AFX would never sound the same. At that time, which one do you trust? The real amp or the model? Just because changing something on a amp model made it sound better might not mean in reality it would. The axe-fx is IMO a fantasy world. Sort of the guitar hero game. Hey, you just played eruption better than Eddie can do it now. Look at all those people cheering for you. Congrats! (allright, now wake the fuck up! )

Sorry, I'm in a really jumpy mood today. Must be the weather and the looming tax-return!
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          +1

Electronics do not improve over time, they are not fine wine
          :ROTF:
          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
            +1

Electronics do not improve over time, they are not fine wine
            :ROTF:
            The guy who paid $4600 for a 80's Mark IIC+ should read this.
            Sam

Comment

Tube amps do change over time and they do sound different. I'm sure we can all agree upon that. Whether or not they sound better over time is a matter of personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                But, it would drive me nuts knowing that I'm hearing just a simulation.
                Unless you never knew it.

And there is no way to compare it in reality!
                Yes there is - with your ears and your fingers.

The axe-fx is IMO a fantasy world. Sort of the guitar hero game.

Sorry, I'm in a really jumpy mood today. Must be the weather and the looming tax-return!
                ...and all the crack you must be smokin'
                Last edited by Matt_B; 01-12-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

(post to self)

the AXE gives you more than what traditional modellers would give, but in a mind-boggling convincing way. In most cases, the simulations are even better than the real amps themselves and you dont lose the feel of the real amp. Its upto you to try it in your personal situation and decide if it suits your need or not. Either way, dont start selling off your priced tube amps.
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                    Tube amps do change over time and they do sound different. I'm sure we can all agree upon that. Whether or not they sound better over time is a matter of personal opinion.

Exactly. I have a block head 5150 I bought when it first came out, and get this - it still has the original tubes. Now, the sound has drastically changed over the years, there is no question about that, but to me I like it even more than when it was new. It sounds more "smooth", it still can rip my head off, but it's not near as harsh as it was 15 or so years ago.

Ok, I'm going to come out of left field here and *sorta* agree with jgcable, how's that for a shocker jg? I know where he's coming from, I think we hear the same thing but describe it a little different.

To me tube amps breathe, something akin to the pushing of air description, and it's something you can definitely feel, in your playing and in your earbones. I have not heard anything that comes close to that experience from the digital world, at least not yet.

One comparison I recall was Ozzfest, Dimebag was playing his solid state uhm, "gear" lol... which sounded fine, and was extremely loud, but when Sabbath came out right after them, even though he was playing just as loud, the guitar just jolted my entire body, even my sack. It was so much more powerful, to actually feel it versus only hearing it.

I guess for live players one big plus to the modelers is consistency, which I totally understand, since I have been the victim of my tube amps being all on the rag too many damn times over the years. Every gig it has to be tweaked, bleh, I don't much care for that, but once it's dialed up, and everythings on, nothing beats making people cream their pants! :ROTF:

Comment

I didn't read this entire thread (I read most of it) so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been said.

John...I hear your concern for live use but trust me whan I say that your concerns are "covered" if you run this thing right. One line to FOH...let's hope the soundman doesn't suck. I also run out to a FRFR monitor (FBT Verve 12ma)...this thing is 400w I believe with a coaxial 12...it can easily hang with my MP1/2:90/4x12 rig for actual stage volume if I need to take the soundman out of the equation. You could play a decent sized room bypassing the PA altogether if necessary. Others use it like the preamp and effects unit in a rack system with a power amp and cab. Although this sounds good, it fails to make use of the true strength of the unit, the IRs (although some still use the IRs along with a power amp/guitar speaker...redundant IMO).

Portability...I've gone from a 100+ lb 8 space rack and 4x12 to a 4 space rack (Axe-Fx, power conditioner, 1 sp rack drawer...it's like carrying a suitcase) and a 42 lb monitor. The main reason I went this route was to save my back. The fringe benefit just happens to be the best sounding rig that I've ever played through, both the amp models and effects (effects are easily on par with TC and Eventide).

You've seen in an earlier post how in-depth the "tweakability" is on this unit. IMO its like having a virtual amp building shop...just break out your cyber soldering iron and go to work. It doesn't let you actually change tube types, but you can simulate those different characteristics by tweaking the IRs so in effect you have the same net result.

Recording is a whole other thing. It offers a bunch of mic sims and even allows you to adjust placement in both distance from and placement on the cone...mindblowing! I recently did a solo with it for a comilation recording on another forum that I'd be happy to share with you guys. Problem is I have it as a WMA file and have no idea how to post it. I'll be happy to send it to somebody if you know how to change it to an MP3 and/or can host it.

Finally, congrats on your purcase Robert! I believe I told you that this was the unit for you!!!

Comment

SUP?

You can't expect studio quality sound from a camcorder in the audience but with that aside.... Seems Devin Has no problem playing LIVE with the Axe-Fx(top of the rack behind him) I'm sure he cut though on stage and could hear himself just fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJU9frokTgI

MOSHON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                          I didn't read this entire thread (I read most of it) so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been said.

John...I hear your concern for live use but trust me whan I say that your concerns are "covered" if you run this thing right. One line to FOH...let's hope the soundman doesn't suck. I also run out to a FRFR monitor (FBT Verve 12ma)...this thing is 400w I believe with a coaxial 12...it can easily hang with my MP1/2:90/4x12 rig for actual stage volume if I need to take the soundman out of the equation. You could play a decent sized room bypassing the PA altogether if necessary. Others use it like the preamp and effects unit in a rack system with a power amp and cab. Although this sounds good, it fails to make use of the true strength of the unit, the IRs (although some still use the IRs along with a power amp/guitar speaker...redundant IMO).

Portability...I've gone from a 100+ lb 8 space rack and 4x12 to a 4 space rack (Axe-Fx, power conditioner, 1 sp rack drawer...it's like carrying a suitcase) and a 42 lb monitor. The main reason I went this route was to save my back. The fringe benefit just happens to be the best sounding rig that I've ever played through, both the amp models and effects (effects are easily on par with TC and Eventide).

You've seen in an earlier post how in-depth the "tweakability" is on this unit. IMO its like having a virtual amp building shop...just break out your cyber soldering iron and go to work. It doesn't let you actually change tube types, but you can simulate those different characteristics by tweaking the IRs so in effect you have the same net result.

Recording is a whole other thing. It offers a bunch of mic sims and even allows you to adjust placement in both distance from and placement on the cone...mindblowing! I recently did a solo with it for a comilation recording on another forum that I'd be happy to share with you guys. Problem is I have it as a WMA file and have no idea how to post it. I'll be happy to send it to somebody if you know how to change it to an MP3 and/or can host it.

Finally, congrats on your purcase Robert! I believe I told you that this was the unit for you!!!

Thanks for all the info. The tweakability of the Axe Fx rig is amazing. Good thing my job is doing crappy, I have tons of college loans to pay for my kids and I just took a severe cut in pay and on top of that.... my band Fools Faith just signed a deal with Spike TV and a few other TV stations on licensing of many of our music without a mention of a penny in payment... because I don't have to worry about gassing for an Axe FX FRFR rig. Unless I hit the lottery or rob a bank or the economy suddenly gets WAY better, the only amp I will be playing is my Randall RM100.
                          I really look forward to hearing an Axe Fx rig live!

Comment

Can you get past amp models and create your own model similar to what you can do in the Revalver software (like changing values of capacitors and such)?
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              Can you get past amp models and create your own model similar to what you can do in the Revalver software (like changing values of capacitors and such)?
                              In a way, yes. Look at the list of parameters that you can adjust earlier in the thread (these don't include your basic controls). By making changes to these, you can accomplish the same net effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                                Absolutely. You have far more controls than with any traditional amp and you can also do things that aren't possible or aren't easy with traditional setups. A couple examples: you can run bias at a level that would quickly destroy tubes or you can move the location of the tone stack and on and on.

Also, don't over look the importance of cab sims. A few months back, I came up with a combo of four IRs that I really liked. I decided to try that cab sim combo with various amp models I liked. There were some differences, but overall I was amazed at the similarities. I created a thread about this on the Fractal forum and Cliff confirmed that IRs (cab sims) have a far greater impact on overall tone that do the amp sims.

Comment

Working...
                                X