No announcement yet.

Soloing , what do you do when you solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soloing , what do you do when you solo?

So how do you listen to the contestant's tracks without signing up (stepping into the ring)?

After reading some of the rules there, it seems they might have the wrong idea about music:

"Slide Guitar Championship
    At least half of any entry must use bottleneck manufactured guitar slide. No exceptions"
    What, I HAVE to use a manufactured (EB, D'Addario, DiMarzio, etc) bottleneck-style slide? I can't use my Zippo, a Mic/Line transformer, or a brass pipe? What about a glass vitamin bottle? What about a genuine 1960's Coricidin bottle?
    Sounds like [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

How about those Championships?
    "This is not a "composition" or "tasteful playing" competition. Judge these battles only on use of (various techniques) and quality of technique"
    WTF? I'm sorry, but music is made up of compositional quality and tasteful execution - anything else is masturbation for the sake of masturbation. How can you judge someone's technical ability if they can't construct an identifiable melody? How can anyone be considered a musician if they can't compose or play with taste?
    Sounds like more [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

And the winner for Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard This Week:
    "Just don't sing. You're a guitar player, not a singer. Don't get confused."
    Hmmmm. At a time like this, two words come to mind: FU(K and YOU. I guess these idiotholes never heard of TED NUGENT or DAVE MUSTAINE or the hordes of other SINGER/GUITARISTS out there.
    Who runs that site, a buncha wankers?

Overall rating of "Guitar Wars":
    [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Newc

[ May 06, 2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You can't anymore. I used to cruise by the just to check out some of the competitions. There are some amazing guitarists there, like zeus, Vibetronic & The Jonezter (although I see that The Jonezter was soundly trounced by our own Justin J Wakely in his last Pro War ! Nicely done, Justin).

I don't recognise most of the people commenting there now, I haven't visited in ages, since they required you to sign up to check out the mp3s. I never wanted to compete and I didn't want to subscribe just to listen.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Back on topic... now! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't think of an especific technique, i go with some sparse outline and build from there. Usually i have two guitars in mind when building a solo, and they can be interchangeable at some time.
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

lol well thank god you dont compete on gwar Newc [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] its just for fun mate

most of the winners (proside)only win coz there have corking great songs full of melody/feeling and tec....if you dont have all of that with great timing/production(very hard when you have to mix down to 750kbts)then you will get nowhere

but realy its good fun,and even better when you take on the jazz/fusion guys...there fun wars..

yeahh i beat kc,wasnt one of his best.he is a great musician

Comment

its 5 bucks a month,peanuts..and there are some sh1t hot musicians there.

and one dude chad cogin(kaizen)is lynch with better chops!!!!well thats his rock side,plays other styles too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/461/mr_kaizen.html

he is the dude on lefthandhacks website giving loads of vid lessons

Comment

I prefer Garageband.com

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thinka bout what type of scales I"m going to use...and the "vibe" I want to portray, and then I just play. As far as technique goes...I use good technique. How's that? That pretty much negates the use of Sweep picking for me. Because, I suck at it. I can do it..but its sloppy and piss poor, and I"m never happy with it.

but I try to make use of about every other kind of stuff, without really thinking about it.

I never think like, "oooh here I need to do EVH style tapped Arpeggios," or Tremelo pickinnnnnng...now! its not like that. I go with the flow. And make sure my goal notes fit the chord structure.

Comment

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X