No announcement yet.

What are your "Impress Me" riffs/solos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your "Impress Me" riffs/solos?

i usually play some slow doom so everybody in the store falls asleep [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Tommy you can Nail Paradigm shift... yikes

I am happy to play most anything to check out the clean to gain channel switch I do the To Live is to Die intro to main riff thing. That gives me an idea if that amp has sounds I can use.

Talking about people who play to long at GC last week I was talking to JacksonFreak and these kids were playing Fade to black and really really poorly. I give credit to the kids for learing the song but don't give us 10 minutes of it poorly played loudly at GC.
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

> Nope,I cannot play Paridigm Shift,but I think that an annoying salesman would be floored by anyone that can! Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

For what it's worth... just to add a lil' bit... i had to go into GC today in order to get some strings. [10s and 11s] Since it's the easiest place to get to, i just go there for small things 'n if i really wanna' try out a Jackson... i don't really need to do this anymore since i tried out most models they carried, high and low end. none the less, i'm in there, and i'm used to them being real pieces of mr. hankey about most things. "TURN IT UP!!" just razzin' people about their playin', you know... the ol' one hump or two. i walk to the back and pick up a jackson DKMG, quickest thing i could find. just wanted to play a little on it since i haven't in awhile. as i do this, the guys helping out one of these skaterish kids says to me, "can i help you?" "nah, that's alright, i'm just gonna' play this for a few seconds." he snatches it outta' my hands, and gives me one of those plastic tupper wear acrylic things saying that because it's heavier, it's better. the kid snapped up, "yeah man, those guitars are rad." [rad... riiiiight...] i just stared at this dyke and went, "... you don't like commission do you? how about you just hand me that back... and go stick this thing in a microwave... let it melt." i snatch the thing back from him, and now he, and this kid, both feel the need to try and "duel" with me if you will. while they're doing the typical sweep down but not up, over and over and over. i just keep going back with, ".... binkity binkity bomp womp bah-WONNGGGGG." the other guy who was helping out is laughing his ass off, i'm relatively good buddies w/ him and he's seen this happen before. so they both go, "yeah, i guess this plastic guitar just tore you apart huh? sure you don't wanna' try it out amateur?" "YEAH! this line 6 flextone is awesome by the way, i don't know if you can handle all the tones comin' outta' it." once again... my reaction: " [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] um, [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] i guess you guys are just too good for me... sorry." i just go into Perpetual Burn, look up and go, "... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] " Bought my strings, and left... two people with their feet in their mouths, and about 3 others [2 employees, one guy] rolling on the floor. ...yeah, this was long, i apologize, but hell, i'm pretty buzzed at 3:46am over here... VOOBAS! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Gotta love it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool stories Guys! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              But sometimes you gotta look from the other side of the counter. A few years back, I was working in a guitar store, and just about every kid who came in thought that he was something special. Saturday mornings were the worst. You'd get an endless succession of teenage metalheads who'd shuffle in, pick up the "guitar that looked most like Slash/Hetfields" and proceed to wow their little entourage of knuckle-draggers with their interpretations of the current "in" songs. (Thank God it was in the pre "Nu Metal [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] " days!)

Sometimes one of us just had to nonchalantly wander up to the other end, plug into a Marshall stack and run off a coupla shred licks "just tuning this guitar". It was the best way of making them Shut the F*CK up! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Stairway to Heaven, followed by an unending flurry of 5 to 10-second snippets of songs, played badly and in the wrong key at instant-misdemeanor SPL's.

Then I'll look at the guitar from various angles, trying to determine why it sounds like *ass*.

After finally decrying ("I'd never pay $278 for this POS!") the surprising absence of quality just loud enough for anyone not aurally hemorrhaging to hear - I authoritatively return the 'guitar' to the rack, taking care to obscure just enough of the price tag to make browsing an aerobic exorcise.

Then, having pocketed the first two picks I've been given - I request another, and get it.
                O, sweet larceny. The fools...

On to the high-end rack, playing only guitars costing 2.5 times my yearly salary through any amp the Salespersons are careless enough to leave plugged-in.
                I always plug in the cabs myself, though - I hate it when the numbers match. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Eventually, the staff realizes that when everyone's focused on me - no one's shopping. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This is my chance to really let the salesperson show-off their knowledge by asking him the same questions about different colors of the same model guitar.

Closing Time. The salesperson slides up, still beaming from their encounter with such an advanced student of the really-loud electric guitar. "So, whatdya think about that $278 deal? They usually list around $23,899 - but they're discontinuing the line. Heck, I'd buy 'em all myself, but we employees have to buy guitars from our competitors stores. That's how we can stock only three different models, yet somehow fill every wall and square/ft with 'em!".

Hasn't he been paying attention!? I've been focused on real instruments, not balsa-wood rip-offs made by people who enjoy making their 'dinner' fetch...

Offended, I wheel on Mr. Somebody Salesman.
                "Dude, I have only one thing to say about that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument..."
                "...does it come with a case?"

[ January 02, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: nor ]
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think I stood in line behind you once.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Didn't we sell you an RG550? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Seriously though I rarely run into a problem at Guitar stires. There is one guy at GC I had demo me something a year ago, a triaxis I think, when I had a busted index finger (slammed in a steel door ouch), who to this day still play every piece of gear for me. But other than that I have 0 problems with salesman
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

some classical piece i learned many yrs ago & to this day cant play perfect, but with alot of gain & a touch of reverb it sounds COOL

Comment

i've only been playin for like a year and a half so i dont know nethin too complicated but if im showin off ill pull out my ditorted "god of thunder" variation and some rhoads licks like the crazy train solo and bridge licks, the over the mountain solo, and some stuff from diary of a madman. for the chicks i use the soft-ass acousitic riff thats a pain in the ass from fade to black.

Comment

Kee Marcello's version of Flight of the Bumblebee, then the 1st movement of Trilogy Suite by Yngwie, then a cheesy neoclassical string-skipping thing in E harmonic minor that I made up. It only
                              mildly amuses real shredders, but it gets
                              the attention of nu-metalers and civilians pretty well. It's just enough to gethe salesmen to leave you alone to try stuff out. They can tell you know enough to not f**k up the gear.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X