No announcement yet.

What are your "Impress Me" riffs/solos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your "Impress Me" riffs/solos?

Children of Bodom rules [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

**** yeah deadnight, children of bodom rule, i've been into them a couple of years now...The intro to Lake Bodom rules, although i cant play it too many times because my wrist starts to fatigue, i dont know how Alexi does it so many times, alot of practice i guess. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

anyways, i love to play Always with me Always with you by satriani...dont need to impress really, the song is just so beautiful....to test rhythm out, i play Blackened, and some of my ****.
      cheers

Comment

I only check out stuff in stores when...
        ...it's dead (like Tuesday morning).
        ...if they have a sound-booth I can go hide in.

I usually don't do anything really weird unless I notice guys with their arms crossed giving me the evil eye (other guitar players, likely talking sh*t to their buddies about me)
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ahhh. The glorious vision of competitive inspiration...

My old band thrived on that stuff...
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Re: What are your &quot;Impress Me&quot; riffs/solos?

I usually only play enough to try out the piece of equipment, maybe just wank around a little. The only time I really wail in a music store is when there's a backward cap-headed, loose pants-wearing, attitude-laden flogger with a detuned 7-string showing off for his friends.

That look on his face - Priceless.
          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Anything by Nirvana, and then Smoke on the Water. That pretty clears the room.

They know greatness when they hear it, and are embarrassed that they are so untalented, so they leave, ya know...

Comment

I like to crank out old Metallica, Exodus, and Anthrax tunes. I'm usually surrounded by guys doing their best "Nu Metal" thing, so it's always nice to remind them of REAL aggression. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Of course, they don't usually recognize that stuff, but the point still comes across. It's not really very impressive, to anyone that can play, but it _is_ fun.

Mike

[ December 18, 2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Michael ]
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I don't try to impress people and music stores, I just play for a minute of two to test the gear out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                  Anything by Nirvana, and then Smoke on the Water. That pretty clears the room.

They know greatness when they hear it, and are embarrassed that they are so untalented, so they leave, ya know...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nice choices, but you forgot "Satisfaction" and "Sunshine of your Love."

Comment

Usually what I play depends on the gear to be tried out. For instance, if it's a guitar generally associated with metal/rock, like a V or Explorer or any Floyd equipped guitar, I'll play some chicken pickin' country twang stuff. If its a Tele or Strat, I'll play something along the lines of black metal or thrash. It tends to make the salesperson walk away faster so I can REALLy try it out. It's fun, but I'm with Oklastrat, I don't play but a minute or so. There is nothing more annoying than someone in a store playing (and these people seem to usually play very badly for some reason) forever and ever.

Comment

and what about "Cocaine"???
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

You can only play "Cocaine" if you do the twenty-minute-do-the-chord-change-every-once-in-a-while-during-my-bad-Clapton-imitation version.

Veneman's in Springfield VA used to have a sign that said: "No 'Smoke on the Water', 'Sweet Child O'Mine' or 'Satisfaction'. You _will_ be asked to leave." Of course, every time I tried out a guitar, I'd look right at Steve and play part of "Smoke...".

Yeah, so I'm infantile. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

[ December 19, 2002, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Michael ]
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Aces High by Maiden!

And Cold by At the Gates - love the solo in there.

Comment

&gt; WAY back in the day,when I was playing as much as 50 hours a week,I went to a fairly close guitar shop looking for Rockman stuff. The guy working that day practically refused to let me plug in,just sat there trying to blow me away. I asked him to let me try it out myself and he finally agreed. I went out and got my guitar,and proceeded to bust out "Far Beyond The Sun",followed by "Scarified". Needless to say,he stopped trying to impress people after that. That was the only time I ever deliberately tried to blow another player away. There was a small group of young kids there,that had had the same problem with him,and all just about downloaded in their pants when it happened. I came back the next day,while Mr. Impressive was out at lunch,and bought the article I went looking for,which was a Rockman Distortion Generator. I have since found the best "Impress Me" piece I've ever heard. It's Liquid Tension Experiments "Paridigm Shift",yet another practically impossible piece from John Petrucci. Tommy D.
                            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Yeah, I hate salesmen like that. Fortunalely, most of the time they don't bother me in the stores because they all know who I am.. Big local celebrity...ha ha ha ha Even the kids in the store don't really bother me.......however last weekend I was takin a break from X-Mas shopping and decided to stop in the Oxford Valley PA Guitar Center for some strings and to see what Jacksons they didn't have.....and to my suprise there was a really nice custom shop PC in Chlorine....it was smokin, and I never tried a Collen model so I decided to check it out. Well the salesman schmuck who was from another store comin down to help with the holidays took the guitar down and proceeded to try and give me a lesson in guitar playing and guitars for about 15 minutes.....If he did one more sweep pick I was gonna pick up the closest BC Rich Beast and sodomize him with it! So he finally gives me the guitar and walks away. I in turn purposely go into the worst possible rendition of Smoke on the Water I could think of doing 3 minutes later he walks up with a Petrucci model Music man....unplugs the Jackson (while I was playing) and goes through his shpeil again sweep picking and all! Then he tells me to try that guitar and that it would blow away any Jackson......NOW I WAS GETTING PISSED. I took the guitar from him played it for like 2 minutes and told him that IN my opinion it was crap....I could wrap my hand around the neck like 3 times, I hated the pickups and the fretwork....plus it's nowhere near as attractive an instrument as the Jackson so please take this crap away and give me the Jackson back....he did so I went into my renditions of the themes of Beavis and Butthead & King of the Hill with him hawking over me. At that point the manager comes over to say hi and ask if I'd met the new guy and if he was treating me ok....I said yeah I met him and left it at that. He said play it as long as you want....so I did and went into various Megadeth tunes and my original stuff just to try out the sustainer and boost systems.....they're amazing! While I was playin the schmuck salesman comes up to me and says why did you let me think You couldn't play, I said I didn't you just assumed that so I let you.... needless to say I had a really good laugh at his expense.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

VoiceX3,

That's awesome! If it was any shorter, I would make it my signature!

Comment

Working...
                                X