Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

I have a similar problem where my pinky curls up(imagine a snakehead rearing back before striking)and then shoots in there whenever I fret a note with it. I noticed after really working on my hand position and playing with my fingertips (not the pad) that it is not so noticeable anymore. I think it is one of the "finger independence" things that I need to work on. Try changing your wrist position-prop the neck up a little bit and keep your wrist straighter. That might help.

BTW-I also got speed mechanics about a week ago, and although I have nothad much time to work with it yet, it seems like it is 100 times better than any other book I have owned.

Comment

I have to admit, this book has SEVERELY tightened up my playing - and I have (gulp) 25 years of experience.

The man knows his stuff - the excercises are awesome. Hell, the warmup stuff alone is worth the price of the book.

I'm not even close to getting through it yet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Hello everyone, I ordered Speed Mechanics, Rhythm Vol. 1, Lead Vol. 1 and the small Scale book today from Amazon. Thanks to everyone for the information and no B.S. reviews.

Comment

i have this book but left it alone....

now im gonna get into it.

Comment

holy crap is it ok that my hand aches after doing these? im not even trying to strain my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
              holy crap is it ok that my hand aches after doing these? im not even trying to strain my fingers.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1.Remember to warm up..play some of the basic excersizes slowly..gets the blood going!

2.If you are fairly new to doing the book, you can have tired muscles afterwords. Just rest a day if you need to, and remember-if it starts hurting when you are playing...STOP!!!!!

Comment

i finally got a copy of speed mech. and wow theres alot of information and stuff to do in it. should i work from page one thru the book or is it ok to skip around in the book some?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper45hd:
                  i finally got a copy of speed mech. and wow theres alot of information and stuff to do in it. should i work from page one thru the book or is it ok to skip around in the book some?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The way I did it was to do the basic stuff first-single string picking and the first few pages of the left hand chapter.

From there, you pretty much have to go and do what you want to work on. Ex, if you have a reallly easy time say, crossing a string with a downstroke, and are having problems with crossing with a upstroke, you will want to put more time into crossing with a upstroke.

Also, hit the rhythm and creativity parts at the same time. Rhythm skills are deadly important, as is developing your ear.

I just suggest you stay away from the more advances part of the technical chapter-bulding speed and sweep picking-untill you have some basic skills down.

Comment

I finally picked up a copy of this book a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd pile onto this thread with my one word review: Wow! If you're reading this forum and want to improve your mechanical ability to play the instrument but don't yet own a copy of this book you're an idiot. It's that good.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to extend my sincerest thanks to the fine folks at Super Glue for making a handy substance with which to repair split fingers. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
                      I'd also like to take this opportunity to extend my sincerest thanks to the fine folks at Super Glue for making a handy substance with which to repair split fingers. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WTF? You're repairing your fingers with Super Glue??? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Go see a doctor! ...AND a psychologist! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, I believe that a "Super Glue-like" substance *is* used in certain medical situations to do exactly this (reunite separated skin or other body parts).
                        No time to look that up, however.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, Ron's correct - c/a glue is sometimes used in place of stitches and to repair smaller wounds. I picked that trick up a few years ago from a cousin's wife who's a vet. Works great and you don't have to worry about breaking it back open. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

got it too about two weeks ago, but didn't have much time to get into it till now. got two weeks off on friday, so hopefully I'll have some time to practise.

I just read about the first pages, found out that my pinky sucks big time and quit.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            hope the rest of the book is less depressing...
                            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

The book does get progressively harder as you continue through the mechanics section so you could find that some other aspects of your playing are not up to scratch. But its a good thing if you work out what your weaknesses are [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

yes, it's hard, but it works. I spend quite a while concentrating on keeping my fingers close to the frets in this 1-2-3-4 exercise, and well... it works!!
                                it's getting better now.

sure I should have known myself that distance equals time, and it's more than logic to move the fingers as little as possible, but noone told me before...

I like the book so far. opened my eyes in many points. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

gimme another week and I can shred the shit out of you all!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                                X